The Rise of Wesnoth 5 - The Oldwood

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fenny

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Oldwood

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 4, i found it more difficult in a previous version when i played it on easy. This time the wooses were very helpful and killed a lot of enemy units.
3) clear
4) ok
5) keep all own units alive
6) 6, it's nice but straight forward without any choices
7) nothing
8 ) no
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Deleted duplicate post.
Last edited by Thrash on September 11th, 2010, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Ah, another spin the wheel of keeping AI ally alive scenario...

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.8.4, Hard, 239 starting gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Kill bad guy, keep ally from suiciding.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

The dialog at the beginning is confusing because ally is hidden by fog. I suggest lifting fog for dialog.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Keeping ally leader from killing himself. I lost twice when I had things in hand and he suddenly decided to rush out and attack, then he got surrounded and killed (seems like enemy AI targets him).

Besides that it's really just surviving the first night in the middle of the map.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

3 - I hate keeping AI allies alive.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Give me control of ally.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Oldwood_replay.gz
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? Easy, 1.8.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) Really easy ~2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Interesting, clear
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8, a lot of fun. This game could really use more Woses in general.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The one thing I noted was that on easy difficulty, the Woses were overpowered. They could easily take care of themselves (or at least of the northern enemy) while I took care of the southern one. It's only a slight problem but maybe giving them a tiny curb on income/starting gold would help challenge some players.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging/hard); 1.9.3; 388 starting gold

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

The Wose leader almost got himself killed and required 3 units to bail him out. Otherwise, cakewalk.

No idea.

(8) Restarts?
None.

(9) WML?
There is just one comment.

(10) Replay?
Attached.
Attachments
(42.23 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
nindnarne

Post by nindnarne »

This map crashes Wesnoth (version 1.9.3) after the dialogue "I think I hear something" and the focuses goes to the Treefolks in the south.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Hard, iPad
9, though I played this with minimum gold - I would only give this a 2 if I had more gold because it's really a piece of cake if you have enough troops.
Very clear.
Just perfect, I loved it !

Regarding some of the comments that other people made (but these comments are several years so, it it's likely that the game changed in the meantime):

If you play this on the iPad, then you always see the person who's talking - his name and avatar is displayed at the bottom of the screen right next to the dialog, so it's very clear even if that person is not visible. You can also see dying woses when they're covered in the mist (you don't see the attacker, though, just the dying tree).

Playing this with minimum gold, basically.

I had to make some adjustments to the strategy giving in the walkthrough: only send a very small task force down south: 2 Shock Troopers, the Dwarf and a White Mage - and don't use the Mage for combat under any circumstances. Hold the bridge until the Woses cleaned up with the opponents, then proceed to takeout the leader.

For the other leader, it's impossible to win this with minimum gold without a lvl 3 Haldric; he's needed as a fighter more than as a leader !

I had lvl 3 Haldric, a Grand Knight, an about-to-level White Mage, a freshly recruited Thieve and some Thugs.

Footpads would have been better for the next scenario (level then to Fugitives), but I was so low on troops that I needed something that I could immediately use in combat and Footpads are just too weak to do any serious damage. I had to try this a few times - key to winning was to level my Thieve as quickly as possible, then use his strong backstabbing attack.

This is one of the few scenarios where my AI ally really helped a lot, I could not have won this without him ! I dispatched Haldric and the Grand Knight as bodyguards for my allied leader, holding off a bunch of wolf riders, so I was basically fighting with a very small lvl 1 troop and no leaders.

Key to winning was that my AI ally protected my weak units from counterattacks, killing dangerous enemies where they could get too close or providing ZoC coverage for injured units.

How fun ? Easily one of the very best :D

I haven't read ahead that far - is it possible to recruit Woses in a later scenario ? Looks like a very fun unit to play with !
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
304 starting gold,
Finished turn 16/29

6. The northeastern orc sends a strong force. At night, you have to be careful, not to lose a good unit. I sent some knights down the southern way to take some pressure of the attack on the woses (I used knights to be there in time, knowing that they won’t do well in the forest). Maybe it’s smarter to help the woses by stronger supporting them in their castle. But it always sucks to fight with an AI and have theirs and own units interfering.

Clear.

Clear.

Keeping wose leader alive.

5. I guess, this can be played smarter. Maybe it’s better to take on the northeastern orc closer to the castle, lurking him on the road tiles, while also stronger supporting the wose’s castle against the southern orc.

None

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I had to replay, because of the death of the wose’s leader.
Attachments
(45.45 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 274 starting gold, no Lady Outlaw.
(2) Difficult? I'll call it a 9, because I had to replay it a lot, but it feels more like a 6. Finished turn 14/29.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Very good.
(5) Challenges? The reason I had to replay it so many times was that the allied leader kept dying. This scenario is harder than it used to be, with a much different character. I'm sure part of the reason is that the new recruiting algorithm loves level 2's, so it sends a swarm of Orcish Crossbowmen and Pillagers at the wose leader. The AI also now seems to send many more troops to the wose than it did before. Although the wose leader does jump into the 20% defense swamp, the main problem is the enemy has almost the perfect anti-wose force, with lots of fire.

After several losses, I finally decided to send a Mage of Light to to wose castle. I reasoned that at night it would make the wose leader's attacks stronger and the enemy's attacks weaker (when the light halo got involved.) It had a curious side effect of allowing the wose leader to be both cured and healed after an orc poison attack. The side sequence in a turn is player, orcs, woses. So, the after the orcs poison the wose, it cures itself, and then comes the next turn with me first and my Mage of Light heals the wose. The wose won't be able to regenerate itself (or at least it shouldn't) that turn, but anyway the Cure+Heal effect is helpful. I'm pretty sure it allows a double heal, 16 points, when the orcs don't use poison, because again, the 2 heals are technically on different turns. It won't be able to do two double heals in a row, though, because that would require 2 heals that are actually on the same turn. However, it can do any number of Cure+Heals in a row. Boy, this is confusing. Well, bottom line is that it kept the wose leader very healthy.

Along with the Mage of Light, I sent a Shocktrooper to the wose castle. It almost died this time, and it did die the previous time, so I think it's just too dangerous a spot for Shocktroopers. I recommend a couple of Spearmen instead. Near the castle were a Longbowman, a Red Mage, a Knight, my L3 leader, and two Spearmen, all to keep the northeastern troops from getting to the wose castle. That whole force was stressed to the max. So, it takes quite a lot of strength to protect the wose leader.

(6) Fun? 8. I liked this scenario enough to not be sick of replaying it due to wose leader deaths.
(7) Changes? The allied wose leader should either be made to stay still or else the swamp next to the wose castle should be replaced with forest. Whatever you do, don't set the wose leader to "passive", though.
Attachments
(51.82 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
5 100+150 15/29 0-12-5-0-22

Comments:
I needed a few restarts to refine my recall strategy.
Advice: Reserve some gold for emergency recalls in the middle keep.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Oldwood_replay_HARD.gz
(57.86 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. Barely defended Rithrandil (had 14 hp left) w/ one force, another force went directly south. Killed last enemy very late, turn 26. Tried in vain to level any outlaw units - especially thieves die when they have good chances for level up.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Lord, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS app ver 1.0.4
Ended on turn 26/29. 30 kills, no losses. Starting gold 100, no carry over.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 9
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Still no sign of Lady Outlaw, I have to write her off at this point. If there was anything in the dialog or objective explaining her immortality, I must have missed it.(She was killed last time, but she sounded like she would be back). Edit: I spoke too soon, she really is not dead and returns later.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Very clear..
Guarding the Wose King. On turn nine, the game ended and Burin the dwarf said, "Stupid tree folk!" The silly Wose King had slipped into the fog and got himself killed. Next time I put 2 guards on on him.

Having 100 starting gold was a challenge, but it was doable with 9 units total. In the Swamp scenario we had 74 kills, so, yeah, we had a lot of enemy on both sides of the river. This scenario we had 30 kills. Needless to say everyone was needed in battle, no one to go village hunting. The wolves were hounding us. My 5 recalls in this scenario were a MoL, LongBowman, Royal Guard, Paladin, and a Red Mage. Of my 9 units, 2 troops were protecting Mr Wose King, 4 troops were in the northeast and 3 finished up in the south. I'm not kidding when I say the enemy Level2 units were tough to kill, even during the day. My guys got pretty beat up, but most lived to fight another day.

This is my first time playing the hardest level. The reduced time limit is something I need to account for earlier, so I am not scrambling at the end to get to the last king.

10, fast paced and fun! My favorite maps are the ones like this one that having a river going through the middle. There are vantage points along the bank and the river slows down enemy assaults.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Good as is.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy. 1.13.4

3, only danger is over-recruitment.

Clear. Kill orcs, help Woses.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Possibly the best of the campaign so far.

None. It was a walk in the woods.

4, as a combat scenario, 9 dialogue only.

(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the orcs reinforcements when you approach their keeps. Have a loyal Wose sapling join Haldric, it would be fun, I don’t think I’ve ever controlled a Wose.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

Remarks
I enjoyed the Woses. Allies are always interesting - even very strong ones - but this was so easy I expected a trap.
Elilmaldur-Rithrandil recruited so many Wose saplings, I could concentrated on the orc leaders without a worry. However
I didn't get much experience for my low level units as swarms Woses squashed all the injured orcs, which was a minor annoyance.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Oldwood_+Wesfolk_replay.bz2
(26.65 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

3, only lost one unit in a rush to engage enemy and take pressure off of ally. Besides that the biggest danger is the enemy leaders being capable of huge damage at night.

Clear.

Above average.

Uncertainty about where to put my forces. The wiki made it seem like it my ally would be under more pressure, which from reading other posts, seems to be the case on Hard, but on Normal he was fine. I sent a white mage to help and am not sure that was needed - I think he would have survived on his own by virtual of him spamming wose.

Otherwise, the terrain just made marshaling my forces difficult. I note the wiki guided me to get Infantry and again I felt it was hard to use them well because of their slow movement. I assume I'm building them up for later as they hardly seem the best units for this scenario.

Besides that, poisoning. With sending one white mage to help my ally (which I would try not doing next time), I had to fight on one flank without one until I could level a mage.

4, trying to protect suicidal allies is no fun.

Fine for what it is.
Attachments
(56.69 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6

Well, that was a relax scenario.

Statistics:

turns 13/29
inflicted +5%
taken +11%
losses 0
kills 19
advancement 4

start gold 354
Attachments