The Rise of Wesnoth 4a - The Swamp of Esten

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 4a - The Swamp of Esten

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Last edited by scott on March 27th, 2006, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 112a hard
2. 6. little less difficult than previous scenario. free white mage and a good amount of money eased the pain of my losses in the last scenario.
3. kill more enemy leaders. clear enough even if u dont know where they are
4. clear and interesting enough
5. the terrain was a factor, pretty miserable terrain. the AI also bought a ton of rogues, which made things interesting.
6. 4. I hate trudging across crappy terrain even if it is a necessary evil.
7. Make some kind of path or bridge across the river on the north end of the map. after my squad killed the northern leader, having to crawl through the swamp with no path was frustrating. The south side has that nice ford, the north could use one too.

Non-level 1 casualty report:
1 Rogue, 1 Swordsman, 2 heavy infantry(level 1 but they were special, you can never buy more)
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

5/10, the Scorpions poison is a pain in the ass.

Another clear enemy destruction objective.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ooh, another talking character, Edmond seems cool... Clear.

Not getting Haldric killed in a suicide charge, not getting my new Red Mage killed

6/10, I don't like all the swamps. Or fog!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
In the walkthrough it says that Minister Edmond is in the temple at 19,5... but he was in the one closest to your castle... 5,12 in this game.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty. Version 1.1.2a

7/10 - lots of swamp/water plus fog. It gave the level a good character.

This is a silly question, objectives are always clear.

Good for the most part. The bit with Edmund (the free white mage) could be improved.

Keeping units alive at night. The fog allowed enemy ghosts and thiefs to keep sneaking into my back areas and nicking villages. Also, green units would kept coming out of the swamp just when I was at a tricky stage. At one point two forces met in the middle of a river, that was vicious!

8/10 - It got the difficulty just right without crossing over the line into frustrating.

Less scorpions. Having one in every patch of swamp was a bit over-the-top.
samael

Post by samael »

1.0.2 Easy (I'm still a beginner... :oops: )

Well... 6 ? No 7. Sometimes a defeat was not too far... There are many surprises for a beginner, scorpions... (I really hate these bugs)

Always clear, kill all these f*** undeads.

A little bit short, this map provide an angry ambiance, with more dialogs it could be more afraid (I'm not sure my english is clear, sorry)

Many...

* Not being poor, keep my big amount of gold so don't recruit too much units. Not easy because undead and thieves harass me, and with the fog you see them too late. Good challenge !

* Use terrain to my advantage (lot of variety, so...), force ennemy to fight in water while I stand on solid floor. Move on day to good terrain/position, fortify when it's night.

* Don't be encircled by all those damn undead scum, kept my flanks free.

* Not loose experienced units and have new ones, especially white mages.

* And stop loosing my horsemen just before they get level 2 (they are not shock troopers !)

8. I like crush undeads, and the map is really pretty style night of the undeads.

It's fine like that. More dialogs ?
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 7 . Many enemies
(3) Very clear.
(4) I liked the meeting with the white mage (i don't remember his name)
(5) Finishing level before time runs out...
(6) 5. I don't like swamps and fog in one level
(7) +4 turns...
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 5
3) Clear
4) Excellent
5) The nearest lich is tricky; his troops occupy the best ground on that island. The first wave of enemies from the south is also quite potent, and flushing them out of the swampy ground is tricky.
6) 9
7) -
8 ) start gold 739
Svenc

Post by Svenc »

Might sound a bit noobish but: How the heck did you guys finish this? Two enemies I could take, but THREE? :shock:
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Svenc wrote:Might sound a bit noobish but: How the heck did you guys finish this? Two enemies I could take, but THREE? :shock:
speed.
dividing your army
the right units for the job

The scenario is not that hard. I really like it.
Joram

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Swamp of Esten

Post by Joram »

Just a note: the cfg file for this scenario is named The River Road

Hard 1.6.0

2- Took me 3 tries because I didn't realize that the southern path was so much harder. Fixed that on the second try, but had Haldric get ambushed by a lucky Deathblade on the second try.

Came in with:
367 Gold

Halrdic lvl 3, Lady Outlaw lvl 2, Burin lvl 2, 2 Shock Troops, 1 Knight, 1 Outlaw, 1 White Mage, 2 Swordsmen, 1 Royal Guard, 1 Longbowman

Kill 'em all. Pretty clear.

Not much dialogue required.

I might modify what the loyal white mage says. I didn't particularly care for the fact that his reaction to your coming seems to be: "Ooh. You're killing things? Can I join?". White mages are supposed to have given their lives over to helping people, and one doesn't expect glee at the thought of joining an anti-apocalypse league. He'll join, of course, but I would expect more a slight feeling of sadness that things have come to such a bad case.

Also, the use of the term "goofs" doesn't strike me as being appropriate diction for the setting.

The fog is a bit tricky; especially with shadows around.

8- I'm not a huge fan of fog, but will take it every now and then. Other than that, it was a fun scenario.

If I were making the scenario, I would make the loyal white mage quick. I dislike non-quick mages.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal) with the Outlaws

7 overall, although at first it seemed to be no more than 5

Clear

Nice

Main problem: Avoiding loses and bad luck. Secondary problem: Sending too few units towards Green. Or maybe sending the wrong units.

Poison was mostly an annoyance due to me having 2 White Mages and finding a third one in the temple nearest to my starting keep.

8 – having to deal with a variety of units was challenging but fun

No changes – it’s fine as it is (at least if you have the outlaws and at least one White Mage)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Haldric got killed by a group of lucky enemies (none of them missed even once). I also had some trouble keeping the Lady Outlaw alive after I carelessly let her get wounded.

Overall I liked this scenario better than the Midlands. I will continue the campaing following this path – I start the next scenario with 31 less gold than if I took the other path, but the loyal White Mage makes up for it.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 5, i sent one force down and my main force with Haldiel northeast. Normally i can kill the first enemy leader (northeast) quickly and head down with my main force on the easters side. I can recruit some new units in the keep of the first enemy leader to compensate the losses.
3) clear
4) ok
5) choose the right units for both forces and don't get to many losses
6) 9, i like the fog and the general atmosphere, the possibility of different tactical approaches, some surprises in the temples
7) nothing
8 ) no
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 292 starting gold

6, a step down from Harrowing Escape.

Clear.

Fine.

Restarted once - first time I split forces into south and east groups. South group, including Haldric, got their butts kicked.

On restart I pushed east hard and took out NE enemy and then turned back to the south going down both coasts, mainly on the west, without real problem once I got through the first wave.

7, a good solid fight with lots of leveling.

Good as is.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Swamp_of_Esten_replay.gz
(39.94 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Lord (challenging, most difficult); 1.9.3; 310 starting gold

Clear.

Fine.

You can get bogged down at start or ambushed towards the end.

Fine as is. Move the introduction of the loyal White Mage back one scenario.

(8) Restarts?
Several losses, restarting from start each time.

(9) WML?
There is just one comment.

(10) Replay?
Attached.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Swamp_of_Esten_replay.gz
(44.25 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
brabar

Post by brabar »

1.8.5 on easy (I'm not sure to be an "expert" yet !) :roll:

Clear.

Nice.

Well ... as I'm far from being an "expert", I had to get back several times through the whole campaign ...

First time, I neglected the heavy infantry, and had to restart after a few scenarios ... Then, on my second try, I forgot to wake up the funny dwarf, and he turns to be a great help ...

I've been through the swamps three times, but if I succeeded the first time with enough gold to have fun through the following forest, last two times, I found myself left with no money after raiding the last baddie keep ...

I did as the walkthrough said, getting rid of the North-East bad guy, and then I went back down South by the Western road ... And it's difficult, as hordes of undead keep arriving all the time, through the river. Then, they take back villages I had taken previously ... I did send a horse man to take back some villages, but it's not sufficient, as my party finds itself splitted with defenders stopping the corpses and skeletons coming through the river, and attackers wiping out skeletons and wolf riders comming from the South (then I was kinda stuck, it took me too much time to finish with some gold)... and when it comes to bosses kills, they aren't that friendly ! :shock: ^_^

So ... I'm gonna get back there, and try to use both sides of the river to go south, see if I can really keep the villages and the gold I need to go make friends with the woses ... 8)

The pressure from the enemy is fine as it allows to level up some units, but it's not an easy plot to play ... I'll edit this post later on to give feedback from my new attempt ! ;)

EDIT : The fourth attempt turned out to be nicer. If I lost a "newbie" mage and a young horseman, I could replace them after crushing the South-western vilain ...

I still had to send back North my fresh recruitement to take back the villages a bat had stolen in the mist ... I took time enough to level up some of my troops, and finish the scenario with 253 gold in my pocket
Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language