[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 4b - Undead Border Patrol

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mal_shubertal

Re: Scenario Review - EI 4b - Undead Border Patrol

Post by mal_shubertal »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.16.6 Royal Guard Challenging
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6. That lich hits hard!
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This is the first time Gweddry has actually had some agency, which is definitely an improvement.
I also like the necromancer talking about how he will be rewarded for killing them by being made a lich. It subtly emphasizes that this is no ordinary undead army, which usually has just one solitary lich in charge, this time there's a whole command hierarchy of liches who are actively recruiting new members, and it builds up how Mal Ravanal must be super powerful to keep control of all of them.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The terrain in the southeast corner was a nightmare for my HI. And the lich got lucky and just smashed one of my Shocktroopers in a single turn, which was a difficult loss.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. The terrain, the ghosts, and the dark adepts all present a new challenge for the HI and they make you think very carefully about your movement and unit placement, especially since you have to screen your mages from all the flyers.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I like this scenario a lot, but it seems like just a much improved version of the last one. The premise is exactly the same: defeat the left enemy for an easier path or the right one for a harder path. Even the terrain is very similar: mostly flat in the center, a river and swamps and sand to the east. So I would say keep this scenario as it is and remove the previous one to avoid redundancy. In that case, defeating the left enemy leader in this one would send you to An Elven Alliance instead of The Northern Outpost.
Attachments
EI-The Undead Border Patrol replay 20230118-180613.gz
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 45 times