Version 0.4.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Version 0.4.7

Post by Dave »

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/files/wesnoth-0.4.7.tar.gz

This version is hopefully getting rather stable. If I don't receive any critical bug reports soon, I may release version 0.5.

Lots more little fixes and improvements. Translators please note that keyboard shortcuts can and should be configured in the language configuration file. (This is so if 'Undo' in the language you are translation to doesn't start with 'u', you can bind it to a more configurable key). sample_translation.cfg in data/ will contain a sample of how this should be done.

Version 0.4.7:
- patched the units config files with miyo's patch to clean up the structure
- made it so the game will dump core if it segfaults
- fixed crash reported by zas when a unit attacks
- you can now zoom in and out when the AI is moving
- added improved keyboard control that allows keys to be set in the locale settings. Keyboard shortcuts (in the English locale) are now,

u: undo
r: redo
n: cycle units (including only partially moved units)
l: goto leader
z: zoom in
x: zoom out
c: default zoom
control-f: toggle full screen
control-a: toggle accelerated mode
control-d: view unit resistance (defense) table
control-t: view unit terrain table

(some keyboard shortcuts are still not implemented, and there is currently no way to configure keyboard shortcuts in-game)

- added ability to make different game-paths - e.g. the scenario you play could be determined by how you won last scenario. Dialogs can now be popped up which ask the player to make a selection, and the selection they make determines how the game progresses. (But no part of the game actually uses this feature yet).
- added scenario objectives in scenario 10
- now when the AI attacks an enemy and doesn't kill it, it will move other nearby units toward the place where the combat took place
- if an AI sees only combats that result in loss nearby, it will request reinforcements from nearby.
- made it so that if the macro WESNOTH_PATH is defined, the game will look for its data files at that path. You can thus compile with e.g. -DWESNOTH_PATH=\"/usr/local/games/wesnoth\" -- the Makefile does not currently take advantage of this.
- added benchmarking of times to perform various operations in the game
- made leaders start in a 'keep'. (But need a better image for the keep :)
- added difficulty level settings for scenarios up to scenario 9
- added (partially done) Italian translation
- added 'skip turn' option, accessible by pressing space - will end the selected unit's turn, and go to the next unit that has moves left

David
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Spanish translation updated (weapons and scenario objectives).
http://www.ettin.org/wesnoth/data/spanish.cfg

Slide buttons (if you don't like it, let me know and I'll improve it).
http://www.ettin.org/wesnoth/images/buttons/slider.png
http://www.ettin.org/wesnoth/images/but ... lected.png
made it so that if the macro WESNOTH_PATH is defined, the game will look for its data files at that path. You can thus compile with e.g. -DWESNOTH_PATH=\"/usr/local/games/wesnoth\" -- the Makefile does not currently take advantage of this.
This is a good improvement in order to make 0.5 debian packages ;).
zas

About 0.4.7

Post by zas »

it compiles, and run fast here ;)

Save replay mode should not display
dialogs nor wait user input.
It should be possible to replay last scenario only (until save position)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ettin,

Slide buttons look great.

Do you have any suggestion for improving the 'groove' that they slide on though? It's just a straight line at the moment...

David
Frank

Scenario 11 :Bug in defeat conditions

Post by Frank »

I lost Delfador in scenario 11, and the game continued as if nothing happened. A few turns later, Konrad died and the game told me I was defeated. I am playing on Easy.
Frank

Re: Scenario 11 :Bug in defeat conditions

Post by Frank »

Frank wrote:I lost Delfador in scenario 11, and the game continued as if nothing happened. A few turns later, Konrad died and the game told me I was defeated. I am playing on Easy.
I just tried again, and played even worse. I lost all units except Konrad, and I was only defeated when he died as well.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Frank,

Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the next version.

David
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Dave wrote:Do you have any suggestion for improving the 'groove' that they slide on though? It's just a straight line at the moment...
Something like that?

Easy?

Post by Guest »

How do you set the game on Easy?

I've played Masters of Monsters for years, and I'm getting my butt kicked on this one. Granted, I'm still learning it, but... only 16 turns on the first campaign? Maybe I'm missing something.
miyo

Re: Easy?

Post by miyo »

Anonymous wrote: only 16 turns on the first campaign? Maybe I'm missing something.
Have you noticed that the scenario objective is to reach the sign in north-west corner of the map?

Right-click mouse -> Scenario Objectives

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Anonymous wrote:How do you set the game on Easy?

I've played Masters of Monsters for years, and I'm getting my butt kicked on this one. Granted, I'm still learning it, but... only 16 turns on the first campaign? Maybe I'm missing something.
If you've played Master of Monsters you should be well set for this game. However....miyo is right, one big difference is that this game has special objectives for each scenario, and in scenario 1, they are to get your leader to the north-west.

Hmm.....I'm wondering if we should automatically display the scenario objectives at the start of each scenario.

David

sorry if this is a FAQ, but it's not in the FAQ....

Post by Guest »

I've tried getting the cvs, as well as compiling 0.4.7, but I'm still getting TTF_font issues, despite having installed SDL_ttf.

I can use the downloadable binary, as well as install 0.4, but I've when trying to update to cvs or 0.4.7, I get SDL_ttf.h error.

I love the game, by the way. I'm not getting any sound, gonna have to figure out why (it works in everything else I've tried, dunno about other SDL games, gonna have to find a few), but I'm hooked already. I was a Master of Monsters junkie, and have been trying to find something like this for quite a while now.

The AI is far beyond what I've expected. The only thing I wondered about with it is seeing that the enemy doesn't tend to fall back to defend the main enemy/boss character when I'm gettiing too close, but then again, putting up a fight has possibly turned out to be a better defense, so what the hell do I know?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It sounds like you don't have the development version of SDL_ttf (and possibly other required libraries) on your system.

You need to have the development version of all libraries to be able to compile the game from source.

If you think or are sure you already have SDL_ttf installed, then find where SDL_ttf.h is on your system (it'll probably be in /usr/include or /usr/local/include) and make sure that that directory is being included using the -I option in the Makefile. (If you need further help with this, I'll be happy to explain how to do that in more detail, but the problem is likely that you don't have SDL_ttf-devel installed, so I won't yet).

You can get SDL_ttf devel from http://www.libsdl.org - do a search there for sdl_ttf and you'll find it.

Glad you like the game. If you get the source distribution of SDL_Mixer from the SDL site, it'll have a 'playwave' test utility. Try using that and see if it plays sound for you. If it does, and Wesnoth still doesn't, then get back to us, and I'll try to work out what the problem is.

The AI currently doesn't know anything about playing defensively. This will probably be improved in the future.

David
fnord

GOt it.

Post by fnord »

I just snagged the single header file from http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf.h and dropped it into the wesnoth folder, and make ran with no problems.

I've had SDL_mixer installed, but .4.0 didn't play sound for me -- 0.4.7 is playing sound, and I've changed nothing. I don't know if anything changed in the code, but it's working now.

It's not entirely clear in this new version how the "heal" at the beginning of each turn is working, but it looks like certain players are getting automatically healed. Am I mistaken on this?

Also, there's been a change to allow recruiting of creatures on all castle spaces in a keep, not just next to the.... uh, well, "Summoner" is how I think of it. I'm not sure how well this will work out in the long run, despite being sort of freaked out by it on the first map, I've since adjusted. Maybe it will speed gameplay, which would be a huge plus in a game like this.

The other major change I've noticed is that you can only recruit when your "summoner" is on a Keep... Maybe that's what you always intended, but I thought it was a nice touch in 0.4.0 (the first version I'd played) that you could move your main guy to another set of castles and summon there... It added a nice twist to the game, especially on the first map, where you could head west and summon in the keep/castles along the western edge.

I haven't been recruiting Mages, since they tend to get wasted as soon as they reach their first combat situation, and they're quite expensive.

Sorry to blather on, just trying to spill the thoughts I have when playtesting as fast as possible before I pass out :]

I had gotten to the 3rd map this afternoon in 0.4.0, but the save game didn't load, so I got there again tonight with 0.4.7 and tested the save file, and things loaded on the 3rd map, so I'll pick up from there tomorrow. So far the new AI is definitely better, it picked up pretty quickly that I was moving troops in along the left hand side on the second map, whereas this afternoon (in 0.4.0), it was merely attacking on the right and leaving the left open. It seems more adaptable, I guess I should say.

For the record, I'm running on Redhat 8.0 on an Athlon 1.2, GeForce3, 512 megs, yatta yatta.

Are there plans to add networking code?
fnord

Post by fnord »

Dave wrote:
Anonymous wrote:How do you set the game on Easy?

If you've played Master of Monsters you should be well set for this game. However....miyo is right, one big difference is that this game has special objectives for each scenario, and in scenario 1, they are to get your leader to the north-west.

Hmm.....I'm wondering if we should automatically display the scenario objectives at the start of each scenario.

David
That would be a good thing to do, I think. Definitely "friendlier" that way, since the final objectives don't become crystal clear during the expostition of the story. Games like AoE, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. tend to do this.

Once I'd figured out the exact objectives, It was much easier, although I'd *almost* killed 2 of the 3 enemies when the turns ran out, I was *so* close to killing them all :]