Siege of Elensefar - how to get into the undead base.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Badut

Siege of Elensefar - how to get into the undead base.

Post by Badut »

Hi all, I've only been playing this game for a couple of days.
I'm up to Siege of Elensefar on Normal difficulty.

I've beaten the orcs and Konrad is recruiting reinforcements from the orcish stronghold. I've just finished turn 9.

The undead base seems to be incredibly defensible. I can't get through the bottleneck. Even if I manage to get a unit inside the undead base, the necromancer comes and kills that unit and the skeletons close the gap again.

I've got two knights, two marksman, a druid. The rest are an assortment of level 1 units. Gold is coming in at about 20/turn

Any hints & tips to get through the bottleneck?
scott

Post by scott »

The scenario designer, Shade, was always fond of going AROUND the problem.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Badut

Post by Badut »

Ok subtle . Thanks. I'll have a look tonight.
:D
unsung

Post by unsung »

get more knights and a few elvish heroes (captain would be good too to level up lots of men do the bay of pearls over again) and simply smash your way through. unlike scott, my tactics aren't subtle.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Badut

Post by Badut »

I'm trying to find a screenshot of the map for this scenario (I'm not at home so I can't just play the game to see it).
What does Scott mean by going AROUND? From memory there are only two entrances to the cave. The one to the west is only 1 hex wide. The one in the middle is 2 hexes wide (unless I over looked something).

As for smashing my way through, that's what I've been trying to do but it's hard to bring my full force to bear when I've only got 2 hexes to attack through.

I'll give it another go tonight.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Going around a problem, trouble or obstable basically means ignoring it. You don't try to move the rock out of the path, you go around it, specially since no one assures you that there is a bag of gold behind the rock.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Why yes. The best strategy in that scenario is to leave a few units to besiege the Necromancer, and then mosey off to the crossroads. :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I don't remember a cave in that level :?:
it must have gone through some changes since I last played it.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
scott

Post by scott »

SPOILER

BELOW

If you take the west entrance, you don't trigger the skeleton creation event. Even though it's 1 hex wide, you can leapfrog through. You kill the skeleton with a red mage, then send a HP giant (Konrad or Hero, etc.) to fill the hole. It gets tricky when you need to rotate personnel out, but you can do it. I usually take the main entrance for the XP, but I use the same trick - kill with white or red mages and leapfrog in with fighters to protect them.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dogscoff

Post by dogscoff »

Just back out of the cave and let the skeletons come after you, so you can kill them with superior numbers and daylight.

The cave will never be completely free of skeletons, because the necromancer keeps recruiting 'em, so you'll have to send someone in eventually. Mages (particulary levelled mages) are good for this since their magic attacks tend to be very good against skeletons.
Badut

Post by Badut »

Thanks for all the tips. :D

I replayed the scenario last night and it was easier than I first thought.
It turns out you can starve the necromancer by taking all the villages on the map. He'll recruit a handful of skeletons when you approach the cave but after that, he'll only manage to make one or two more. Patience is the key.
I took a small detachment (1 knight, 1 marksman and 1 shaman) to the west entrance and was able to draw out two skeletons. Then it was just a matter of plugging the main entrance with strong units with a druid behind for healing. After a few turns, the entrance will be clear enough for the bulk of your force to enter. The rest is just a formality. I did not lose a single unit entering the undead base. And I had quite a few turns left over too :)
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

I cashed up on Muff Malal,then after I had beaten the orcs, I go crazy with mages and totally slaghter them.That only works if you have 700+ gold, but it sure is fun. :twisted:
Badut

Post by Badut »

BTW is it just me or has this scenario been changed as of 0.9.5
I don't remember fog of war being on in 0.9.4
Maybe I remember wrong.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I Used a mix of mages and elvish archers (i had for this level:elvish sharpshooter x2,elvish marksman x1,elvish ranger x1,knight x1,many mages and a red mage.)they killed me nobody.the elvish archers are fast and can go fast by the stronghold to the undead,it maked me win the terrain the undead have by killing the undead with the mage and take its place with the elvish archers.I also used elvish scouts or horsemens,but these ones are more expansive.
(for a little precision,i dont know if you know it,if you done the island level before the siege of elensefar,and Moremiru is still alive,he will help you in: the valley of death-the revenge of the princess,sending himself as a Mage of light and 3 white mages:they saved all my army,by curing the 1 hp units i had and killing with devastating strikes all the liches.(Moremiru come from south.))
Great Mage Nicolas