is Wesnoth too hard to be fun...?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

knight20

is Wesnoth too hard to be fun...?

Post by knight20 »

I got this game two months ago and I loved it..!!!

trouble is I dont play the campains much now because they are just too hard..even on easy....

I am an experianced gamer and pretty good at games yet to beat the heir to the throne you have to save, load, save load etc. Other people might not need to but I have to. In the end it becomes hard work and each time I come to play I just get angry at the game. This was fun at first but later on one slip in each senario and thats it you have lost your level 3 character...I would love it if i could play and have a chance wihtout having to save and load which really feels like cheating..?

i still play the online version, still love the game......does anybody else think its too hard...even at easy level.....??? :? :?
js

Post by js »

I play it, I enjoy it, but only on easy. I can't imagine having enough time to do it on hard.
I've beaten HttT, and am about halfway through the RoW campaign (both on easy- I'm at The Dragon part of RoW).
But I've tried playing the Eastern Invasion, and even with the glitches corrected, I still can't consistently save enough cash to be able to do well.
What tends to annoy me the most is the capriciousness of the game; where one turn's action depends entirely on whether or not you can hit at least one of your attacks or avoid at least one from an enemy. An enemy that has too often just sprung up unbidden.
(That's one of my other complaints: there are too many levels that change too drastically halfway through, so they pretty well require a second run).
I realize that the answer is that I should just work on playing the game better, or whatever, but I'm a casual gamer. Even though I've figured out enough know to be able to edit the scenarios or whatever, I don't want to, because I don't like cheating. But I can also say that being swarmed by the unassailable resources of the computer sometimes gets a little tiring.
I also really like playing multiplayer, and especially enjoy the team games. I suppose that if the AI were as smart as the human players, it wouldn't have to rely on endless suicide marches or kamikaze attacks...
Something that I think would help is increasing the amount of gold given for bonuses, or working to have more levels where the puzzle isn't how to survive the six other recruiting centers all tossing drones at you, but how to get somewhere with a small contingent. My favorite levels tend to be the ones that can be done with a smaller force.
I guess I have to say that I find the easy setting on Wesnoth about as challenging as Final Fantasy X, given the amount of time I spend with it and the amount of times that I've had to reload.
Oh, something else that would be nice is the addition of more levels for the units. While I realize that increasing specialties makes it hard to keep the game balanced, I think I would enjoy campaigns with more levels if I could keep advancing a smaller cadre of units longer, instead of having to try to balance farming with finishing quickly enough to not just have my gold eaten by the 20% ante...
pg

Post by pg »

I find multiplayer very fun and engaging but single player pretty frustrating or plain boring. I've thought a lot about why that is but I really don't know. I enjoy many other single player games similar to Wesnoth...
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I too prefer multiplayer that campaigns. AI is sometimes really annoying, and losing high level units because it got lucky makes me angry.
On MP community is really nice, games are challenging - not same AI level. Come and try! :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragonking wrote:On MP community is really nice, games are challenging - not same AI level.
Yeah, I can't get a no-losses game against most humans. :lol:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Matthias[Wlkp]

Post by Matthias[Wlkp] »

I'm playing HttT on easy. At first, I started on medium (I usually try to play in "normal" mode), but after few missions i run out of cash... (Siege of Elensefar or sth with 100gold? impossible... The same one on easy - 600gold :)) I just found the Scepter of Fire, but with a LOT of aids - loading autosave many times, so my cruicial units survive... Map is random, so I had to split my units to parties and look for it. After 42 turns I finally found it, but Konrad and Li'sar were too far away... Actually you could remove turn limit in some scenarios, which would help a bit, and make upper gold limit which advance to next scenario.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

FYI I am working on making Heir to the Throne much easier on 'easy' level at the moment. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

Muliplayer is really fun, i found it more interesting than the campaign. You can face other players and increase your skillz which is what most players are doing...o and one more thing AI doesnt chat with you.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

If I had BfW and internet on samre computer, i'd play MP, but the campaigns just arn't that hard for me
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I quite like the idea of deleting the turn limits in some scenarios. Most of all in the Scepter of Fire campaign/Closing the gates scenario.

Because sometimes, you have nearly won, and just at that moment, you see that you run out of time. :?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

or longer turn limit--and that would help w/ scepter of fire, not lose as much gold.

(Not related--i'm working on a new avatar, but drawing on computers not that easy)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hmm, this intresting because I have never had a problem with Single Player before. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, but I find that you can't get into the story so much as you can in single player. But yeah, I guess that the "easy" levels should be a bit easier. There is a vast difference betewen easy for newbes and easy for experts.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

pg wrote:I find multiplayer very fun and engaging but single player pretty frustrating or plain boring. I've thought a lot about why that is but I really don't know.
Here's a guess: when you lose in single player, the next game you play will be the same scenario --> boring. (And the AI is too perfect to be interesting most of the time.) But when you play in multiplayer, whether you win or lose, you get an interesting new game next time you play, including with different people who have different playing styles.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:
pg wrote:I find multiplayer very fun and engaging but single player pretty frustrating or plain boring. I've thought a lot about why that is but I really don't know.
Here's a guess: when you lose in single player, the next game you play will be the same scenario --> boring. (And the AI is too perfect to be interesting most of the time.) But when you play in multiplayer, whether you win or lose, you get an interesting new game next time you play, including with different people who have different playing styles.
While the AI in Wesnoth is reasonable for AI it is by no means perfect. It is certainly
not as good as a human with some experience unless it is given a favorable starting
position,
Snorklecat

It can be a challenge, but that's the fun part

Post by Snorklecat »

Practice perhaps? I just started playing this game about two days ago. I am entirely new to computer games, but I like chess, so maybe that's why I liked this immediately. I have not played the easy level, but started on medium with the knowledge that I would probably get my butt kicked. I think that taking the time and really planning the moves wins the game for me. I can't go quickly like some people I have played with, but I am doing well by going slowly and I'm on the Northern Outpost of the Eastern Invasion (what a doozy of a campaign though! I never thought I'd survive even that first scenario!) Perhaps the key to enjoying the game is to study the units, really learn how to use them, and just take all the time you need to plan your strategy.