Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

paladin! whoo!

Post by turin »

been doing a lot of pixeling lately. mostly cut and past, basically, i think i have a (somewhat) good paladin attack animation ready. these are the three pictures-

basically, ifyou can't tell, he rears back then charges. i tried it out in the game, and it looked cool.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Looks really good.

Although I still think the human knight/paladin doesn't look enough like a knight. More armour, less orcy is what's required.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

charlieg wrote:Looks really good.

Although I still think the human knight/paladin doesn't look enough like a knight. More armour, less orcy is what's required.
Maybe a silver helmet? Plume?
The Eponymous Archon
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: paladin! whoo!

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: basically, ifyou can't tell, he rears back then charges. i tried it out in the game, and it looked cool.
Would you be able to post the animation settings you used? Then I'll be able to add it easily.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sure. but i am stil working on the images and the timing. :)

first image= frame 1= -400 to -250
second image= frame 2= -250 to -150
third image= frame 3= -150 to 50

im sure that it could look better, and im still working on these images,just wanted to know if i should continue. :D

i don't understand how the paladin looks 'orcy'. you mean it looks like an orc, not a human?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Curretly the paladin new some ear plastic surgery... it's early elven originins still show,
Jetrel

huh.

Post by Jetrel »

Personally I agree with fmunoz - the paladin does need the ear-correction. Your frames for the attack are very good. I think, however, that the ears on the entire paladin set should get fixed up before hammering out the set as "done", such as things are at this point.

Now, considering that there is only one frame made so far for the paladin ... I don't know which one of you guys wants to do it, but it should be pretty easy to correct the existing graphic, and then correct the attack frames as well. Whether that correction entails a simple ear correction, or further cosmetic changes, who knows better than you two?

Given the quality of what you just submitted, geez, yeah keep up the good work. :)

I imagine the paladin could use a defensive frame, and it might be interesting to add a separate sword attack frame. The paladin would then, in all likelihood, be done. These graphics could also, with relative ease, be adapted to "Knight" graphics, the knight having an identical attack system (charge vs. sword).

Great work.[/b]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think it would be rather hard to add the sword attack, since he is not, in his normal frame, holding a sword. If I am going to finish the paladin, can I give him a sword in the other hand?
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

hell yeah

Post by Jetrel »

I see no reason why not to. Only possible one would be the negligible time spent wiring said sprites into the game - all of five minutes writing the attack script.

They already have a sound and everything else needed.

"Do it." :D
Eponymous-Archon

turin wrote:I think it would be rather hard to add the sword attack, since he is not, in his normal frame, holding a sword. If I am going to finish the paladin, can I give him a sword in the other hand?
Several of the non-dominant attack frames show swords that kind of "appear" out of nowhere (the elvish-archer, for ex., blown up a bit below).
The Eponymous Archon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ok, but the lance is HUGE. Should the sword be in the other hand? The problem with this is it really obscures the sword unless the horse moves, which would require extensive work. still, if you think it will look better i'll do it.

Here are the new paladins, with ear surgery

(i haven't done the sword yet)
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The paladin bears a shield so for the sword you could simple show it instead of his lance in the 1st attack frame and reuse a "swish" image from other sword wileding unit in the next images.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

For the sword attack, why not drop of the lance completely and assume that the paladin just do that (drop the lance on the ground to use his sword and recover it later). A lance is really too bulky to keep in one hand while fighting with a sword on the other hand and as you mentioned it would be too difficult to draw in a visible way. So just erase the lance and give him a nice swordslash attack. The pictures are great.
By the way, did anyone noticed that in almost every pictures the units are left-handed? :wink:
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

They are not left handed when they are reversed. 8)

I think i'll do that.(the dropped lance thing), but i have some stuff to do now. I'll get it done tomorrow.
The World of Orbivm
Eponymous-Archon

Ambidexterity

Yes, Wesnothians are all ambidextrous, a remarkable occurrence. Must be that darn RNG again. ;-)

Archers tend to shoot right and swing left.
The Eponymous Archon