Attack Animation for White Mage

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Attack Animation for White Mage

Post by Jetrel »

Nothing too glitzy, just a repositioning of the arms/staff. Note that I have not tested this set out yet, but these should be clean pngs ready for use/testing, and I'm pretty darn sure the graphics fit the required size et al for inclusion in the game.

Once I get a few free minutes, I'll figure out the scripting system for unit attack graphics (right now I have some homework on Lorentz Transformations calling my name).

Two *new* frames in the included graphics, set beside the frame included in the game for comparison.
Jetrel

oh yeah.

Post by Jetrel »

Another idea as I had, given the recent inclusion of alpha channel support was certain haloing effects on magic unit's attacks.

It's an idea I'll put some pursuit into once I have a chance to work on the third-level white mage/cleric. Something to think about, certainly, though a technique that should be used with discretion. I do think, however, that it would work very well on motion blurs for weapons.

Also, these frames still need some work I think, especially that third one, with the interesting optical illusion of his staff being shorter in that frame even though it's actually been lengthened by several pixels. The idea was for him to set it's base on the ground in front of him, but that doesn't translate so easily into such pixelated media. Much as the weakly attempted effect of him closing his eyes in prayer on that third frame - it just doesn't come out so well because you can barely see his eyes to begin with. He does, however, look somewhat like he has rested his staff on his shoulder to free up his left hand, which may be a fortuitous accident.

To tell the truth, the graphics in this game actually remind me, quite a bit, of the game "Chrono Trigger", a game which had very skillfully done sprite graphics. Especially the shapes of the heads, style of eyes, etc.
Jetrel

And here's a potential revision of that third frame,

Post by Jetrel »

The staff is now longer. The frame comes out much more like I had originally intended. I personally prefer this version to the previous one.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Maybe you should tilt the head of the staff toward the enemy to get some more movement effect. Otherwise I'm afraid it will be too subtle to noticed in the 1 sec the attack take place.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
cedric

Post by cedric »

Given that it is a white mage, maybe the orb of the staff should emit a bright light (which would light up the mage robe and hood a bit).

--
Cedric
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: oh yeah.

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote:Another idea as I had, given the recent inclusion of alpha channel support was certain haloing effects on magic unit's attacks.
This is possible to a degree already, although I am planning on implementing a system which allows light effects to spill into surrounding hexes. When the white mage attacks, it will be possible to make it light up half the screen :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

Uhm, Dave...
How realistic is that? :wink:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Icekiss wrote:Uhm, Dave...
Rule #748 of making games: when realism meets 'looks cool', looks cool wins. ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:

David
Absolutely! You could even make certain tactical considerations visible, by, for example, having a mage of light actually light up the area around him during the nightime! :D
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Not very realistic at all. When I cast white magic spells I can only light up 1/4 of my screen ;)
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Dave wrote:
Um, Dave, I think that's rule #648.

In general, some of these kinds of effects would be very nice, I think.

I was wondering whether it would be desirable to have some large portion of the screen turn the color of the moving player. Say a border that goes from red to blue to green, and so on. To make it clear whose turn it is (especially useful during AI).
The Eponymous Archon
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Next to the turn counter is a colored flag that indicates which color's turn it is. It's subtle, but it's there.
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

quartex wrote:Next to the turn counter is a colored flag that indicates which color's turn it is. It's subtle, but it's there.
Yeah, I know. Too subtle for me. :-)
The Eponymous Archon
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Eponymous-Archon wrote:
quartex wrote:Next to the turn counter is a colored flag that indicates which color's turn it is. It's subtle, but it's there.
Yeah, I know. Too subtle for me. :-)
You know, I'm sure we ought to implement Rule #543, sometimes nicknamed "the Hollywood Rule":
Rule #543:
o The more explosions the better
o---o The bigger those explosions, the better
On that note, I await some OpenGL rendered mage effects :D
Jetrel

mage of light

Post by Jetrel »

actually, in response to cedric's idea, I was thinking of making the mage of light raise his hand and have a ball of glowing light suspended slightly above it (a couple of inches his world, a few pixels ours).

It also suddenly dawned on me that these guys also need one other thing. Attack frames for their staves. There are no animations of them beaning people over the head with their staff attack, nay, something is needed there.

For that matter, they could also use a single defend frame.

Onward.