I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

He needs a mouth!
Sorry for the meaningless post
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

I think that the body is ok, the cape is beautiful and their folds are good. The stance with the cape opened is good also, except for one thing: his head seems to be dealigned with the body, maybe one or two pixels to the right (or maybe it's just me).

I dislike his head, because looks like a lemming, and has not shadows. perhaps he should have some shadows below his checkbones and eyes.

And the attack animation... I think that is unclear to figure out what's happening. The body should have some movement, or at least the cape.
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

I think that the head should be more like this one (one image is better than thousand words)
Attachments
dracula.png
dracula.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

That was great! How did you do it?
But I was thinking about a dracula with long white hairs.

Edit: I was asking how you did it because I don't know very well how to do heads with pixel art. That white line and nose impression you made were great.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

hehehe look what I have found. I'll make some edits to the names, make white transparent, and then use Quensul's parchment images.
Attachments
Transylvania.jpg
Transylvania.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Monkey wrote:hehehe look what I have found. I'll make some edits to the names, make white transparent, and then use Quensul's parchment images.
The easiest thing to do is to pop the map and parchment into different Gimp/Photoshop layers, then set the map layer to "multiply" mode - this will take care of the white for you, and take all of about 5 seconds to finish. If you try to cut out the white by hand, you'll invariably get white or light grey halos around your map graphics.

*insert standard copyright/licensing warning here vis a vis the map image*
Author of Wercator
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Or. Create a new image the exact same size. Fill it entireley with black, and set the current image to its alpha channel (may need to invert it). Then you'll have a transparent image that you can do what you like with.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Woodwizzle wrote:Or. Create a new image the exact same size. Fill it entireley with black, and set the current image to its alpha channel (may need to invert it). Then you'll have a transparent image that you can do what you like with.
The disadvantage of this method is that it takes longer.

The advantage of it is - the lines no longer need to be black, since changing their color value no longer changes their opacity. Hint, Hint - this is how you color lineart. That is, just the lineart of a picture, not the fill-art.

Of course, there are many ways to draw without lines, which afford a more painterly style.

-----

On a completely unrelated note, here is a copywritten sprite from the SNES game, Ogre Battle, which francisco took a good deal of inspiration from. Because this is copywritten, you are forbidden to copy any pixels from it, at least if you want to put the campaign on the campaign server (if it never leaves your computer .. it doesn't matter). However, you can certainly mine it for ideas and techniques.