Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Monkey

Anyone made werewolf before?

Post by Monkey »

Anyone here made a werewolf before?
I'm going to make one now, and someone told me not to do that a while ago because they were already making one. If anyone made one, post here or I'll make mine.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
scott

Post by scott »

You should take the werewolf from PhantasyRPG. It's about time for some payback.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

That wouldn't be fair, their wolves sux.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:You should take the werewolf from PhantasyRPG. It's about time for some payback.
Those aren't GPLed... and besides, they aren't very well drawn.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Nothsa

Post by Nothsa »

Return of the Werewolf.

Seems like this comes up fairly regularly, and gets shot down in the Ideas forum. It could be that such a unit would be useful for a specific scenario or campaign.

If I had the inclination and the artistic talent, I'd create a werewolf that looked and behaved (e.g. skills, movement, attack type, frequency, and damage) differently at different times of day. This is something that hasn't really been explored much in Wesnoth (yes, I know about the Shadow, and of course the chaotic/lawful day-night cycle; this is more substantial). It might be a novel contribution, rather than just a new rogue unit.
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

Nothsa wrote:If I had the inclination and the artistic talent, I'd create a werewolf that looked and behaved (e.g. skills, movement, attack type, frequency, and damage) differently at different times of day. This is something that hasn't really been explored much in Wesnoth (yes, I know about the Shadow, and of course the chaotic/lawful day-night cycle; this is more substantial). It might be a novel contribution, rather than just a new rogue unit.
I disliked the idea of werewolves, but what you say is really very interesting, IMO.
entropomorphic

Post by entropomorphic »

How's this for an idea (I don't know if it's possible in WML or not):

the Lycanthrope L1 unit is a very weak fighter, maybe like a Peasant. During the night, it gains 50 XP, but loses 50 XP during the day. At 55 XP, the Lycanthrope would promote to a L2 Werewolf, with a powerful 5-6 melee attack. And of course, once day breaks any Werewolf with less than 105 XP would revert to a measly, vulnerable L1 Lycanthrope. The Werewolf would get healed by the promotion, but not the reversion to human.

Obviously this would be a specialty campaign unit, as I can't see what normal faction it would fit in. Still, it could definitely be used for interesting tactical battles.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I'm making it now, (actually I'm finishing dracula first) for my terror campaign. I was thinking about making a human unit that is human during the day, but turns into a werewolf at nightfall.
Disto

Post by Disto »

What about the full moon business?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

He'll turn into a werewolf every night, but in one map people are going to say that today is full moon, that day he will turn into an super strong werewolf.
I'm not sure if in the other days he will turn into a weak werewolf or just a wolf.
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

Can you tweak the day/night lengths? 2 turns of strength, 4 of weakness is a bit short. If you make each time-part last two turns, it'd give the Werewolf 4 turns of havoc: one to run to a target, two attacks, and one to run away before dawn.
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

It would be cool if you completely changed his unit type;you found a way to code it so that, during the day, he was a rough equivalent of the peasent; and he could get level ups in that path(not spearmen bowmen, something different) and then, at night, he would be a werewolf. You could almost do it with whole scenarios, a day scenario where you have to hide, and a night scenario where you go on a rampage.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I think he will turn into werewolf at dusk, so it will be 3 turns of carnage.
And of course, the human side of him will get stronger as he level up.
at level 1 he will have the strenght of a level 0
at level 2 the str of lv 1
and at level 3 the str of level 2
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

That makes more sense...but how do you plan to code the change? Maybe make him something like weak in the day, medium strong at dusk, strong at night, and medium weak at dawn.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

that's a good idea. Maybe at dawn and dusk he is a wolf during metamorphosis, so he is half-werewolf.