Searching the forums for exact match

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

unterwassermann

Searching the forums for exact match

Post by unterwassermann »

How do I search the forums for an exact match?
f.e. I try to search "era of heroes" and it returns posts that contain the three words, but not together.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Searching the forums for exact match

Post by Pentarctagon »

Honestly for searches that aren't meant to be limited to a particular account or subforum, it's better to just use google or another actual search engine and restrict it to site:forums.wesnoth.org
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

site:forums.wesnoth.org x
site:addons.wesnoth.org x
site:units.wesnoth.org x
site:wesnoth.org x

replace x with what you want in the one you need, the last line searches everything

You must use a real search engine and put an example like those above into them if you want to find anything on this forum. The built in search is almost completely useless.

Some search engines will give you exact matches is you put the x in quotes like this: "x" but it is hard to even find a good search engine these days that doesn't dumb it down for the masses...

"How to form your own corporation without a lawyer" is likely to be answered by most engines with: Did you mean Naked lawyers who fail?
unterwassermann

Post by unterwassermann »

Works well with Bing and Yandex, Google seems to ignore the quotation marks.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

unterwassermann wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:41 pm Works well with Bing and Yandex, Google seems to ignore the quotation marks.
Years ago google had a variant called google verbatim which still respected "" but it went away after a short while.

Thanks for the tip about them, I use searx myself which is all of them combined plus a few more while protecting your privacy. searx can be customized as to what search engines to use so I'll probably remove google if it is still enabled.