WWL - Wesnoth World League.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fromoze

WWL - Wesnoth World League.

Post by fromoze »

I hope my poor english let me explain the idea. I'll try to be axiomatic to do it.

I read about to make a new tournament and about have references to know wich are ther hardest players. Then I think about trying to do a League like European Football/Soccer leagues. The advantages are that all the players can work on the maintenance of the league and we can get a lot of fun :D.

XXXXX---- EDITO -----XXXXXX

Well, I'm going to try the v2 of the rules after your comments. Please talk about problem on it and PLEASE correct my poor english :oops:
PLAYERS:
  • Two members teams with an optional sustitute.
  • A faction fot each player
  • One multiplayer map. This must be based on Morituri. The team can change 5 hexs on it but villages and start castle can't be changed. The maps must be accepted by most of the league members.
GAMES:
  • Home team map
  • 25 turns
  • 2 gold per village
  • 70% experience.
SEASON:
  • All the registered teams must play against others at home and as visitor.
  • The journey is 7 days long. Each game's date must be appointed between the teams members
CLASSIFICATION:
  • Victory 3 points
  • Draw 1 point
  • Total of the diferent scores. (number of leaders killed less number of own leader killed)
MAINTENANCE :
  • The league will be put as a tree in the multiplayer developper forum (the alfa version at least). Each journey will be intruduce as a new post and no comments on this threath will be admited.
  • The replays of the matchs and the scores must be send from the visitor and home teams to the referees.
  • Each journey one of the referees will have to intruduce a post with the results of the played games, the classification changes and next journey games.

REFEREES:
  • All the players of a current league or a old one can be a referee.
  • Any player needs to be a referee at least once each 3 leagues.

XXXXXXX----- EDITO -------XXXXXXX

I think it can be fun. An I specially like the idea about to have home grounds. It can be not really nice if we make map with a thousand villages near to the castles of the home teams, but if we take a map (moriture for example) and we only let to make variations on the terrains (not touching villages, nor castles and nor dimension) with limitations on % it will make it cool. Because some one with nagas and mermen can make an all water map, but with limitations just can make a map with a lot of water :)

The ideas is here, may be many people think is a weird one, but... may be you like it, or to work over it :)
Last edited by fromoze on April 5th, 2005, 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ShrinK

Post by ShrinK »

I'm confused whats your goal by doing this??
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

It is to have even more fun with Wesnoth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like your idea, could work, if the devs like it, :D
Sorry for the meaningless post
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

romnajin wrote:It is to have even more fun with Wesnoth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like your idea, could work, if the devs like it, :D
Doesn't really have anything to do with the devs. Anybody could host their own league, since I don't think he was asking for any code changes (on a quick skim of the post).
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
pg

Re: WWL - Wesnoth World League.

Post by pg »

fromoze wrote:
  • Two factions
  • One multiplayer map. This map will be the house of the team, and local games will be played. It can be modified for the team; I think it would be nice to get teams ground benefits, like in football, you know better your ground and you've the supporters with you.
So the two factions would be set for the whole league and players couldn't change them? I personally think that's a bad idea. It limits players developing new strategies, and experimenting. Also what if some players picked a really bad combo and wanted to change? It'd be not very fun if they have to play the rest of their matches as what they choose initially.

I think it'd be better to personally find a bunch of balanced maps then let players choose from those instead of letting them use whatever map they want. Terrain, and map setup is probably more important than good teamplay or superb skill. For example if someone wanted to use an all desert, mountain, and swamp map Drakes would utterly dominate it.
  • Each journey one team must introduce the results and the changes in the clasification in another post. -The members of this team must recibe the replays of the matchs and the scores by mail from the visitor and home teams.
So would they just describe the match and list results, but not post their replays for downloading?
I think it can be fun. An I specially like the idea about to have home grounds. It can be not really nice if we make map with a thousand villages near to the castles of the home teams, but if we take a map (moriture for example) and we only let to make variations on the terrains (not touching villages, nor castles and nor dimension) with limitations on % it will make it cool. Because some one with nagas and mermen can make an all water map, but with limitations just can make a map with a lot of water :)
How do you decide what is fair and what constitutes unfair(not to mention not fun) changes? Sounds very interesting though. I hope people are interested and you can pull it off. Good luck! ;)
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Sounds intresting - but possibility of changing map creates problem - team could remake map and cheange terrian to be better for their own factions, and harder for others.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Re: WWL - Wesnoth World League.

Post by Guest »

pg wrote: So the two factions would be set for the whole league and players couldn't change them? I personally think that's a bad idea. It limits players developing new strategies, and experimenting. Also what if some players picked a really bad combo and wanted to change? It'd be not very fun if they have to play the rest of their matches as what they choose initially.
Personally I found fun to must keep the same faction. First becuase if there're combos with too much problems, it can mean there're problems on the general game faction settings. And second, because it's, for me, the fun thing in leagues: you must learn to survive according your possibilities. If you look to Spanish football league, there're teams with really good player who are always the team's to beat. Then, if you've not as good players, you must play against them with special tactics planning. And finally there's different 'matchs', those you must try to do your best those you must win.
So would they just describe the match and list results, but not post their replays for downloading?
Well, I say to do it in this way to don't have problems about hosting places. People of the league, will have comunication with each other, then they can mail to ask for the replays. But, is true about people isn't in the league... may be we can found a hosting to put just the week matches. I don't know how we can do that... I just have the idea of doing the report differents teams each week to avoid just one has all the work. I just write it as rules trying to be more explicit :)

How do you decide what is fair and what constitutes unfair(not to mention not fun) changes?
If there's a maximum on the dimension field, we can easy say a number of máximum hex for each field type... may be is better to try to get first some balanced maps. But I'd like to give some advantages to the home team; starting first the game is the first one and may be enough.
Sounds very interesting though. I hope people are interested and you can pull it off. Good luck! ;)
Well... I think it can be nice to start asking for people who can be interested to post here saying they would make a team :D
fromoze

Post by fromoze »

I was the guest upside ... I forgot to login :oops:
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

The whole point of having a home map is having a map that your faction has an advantage on! It would be nice to have a league faction, and league made maps, checked by others for balancing. But yes, if it was a drake league, the drake player would want mountains! Oh sorry, Green Bay*, it's snowing so you would have the advantage; we have to call off the match. NO! The point of them having that home field is because they have an advantage on it!

*Green Bay(packers) is an NFL team that plays in Wisconsin(snowy state) For those who don't know
Sorry for the meaningless post
fromoze

Post by fromoze »

I just think it could be another important point, the number of turns. Thinking about when you play against hard teams, try to get a draw :) may be not more than 25 turns will be needed.
ShrinK

Post by ShrinK »

Hrm.. now that i think about i think i know what you mean..

Can't we just choose a team-mate? there isn't anyone i know in Easter Time zone that is good..

But i think it would be cool.

Of course.. I don't think I would like the "defeating people on their own map".. I think that would ruin it..
fromoze

Post by fromoze »

I'm going to start a poll on the user's forum. If there're people enough may be we can try a first edition.
pg

Post by pg »

fromoze wrote:may be not more than 25 turns will be needed.
Hmm, I'd say you'd want quite a bit more than 25 turns for 2v2. When I ran the 1v1 tournament on Blitz, Charge, and Morituri for 1v1 the turn limit was 30. There were a few ties but generally the game was over somewhere around the 20th I'd guess. For 2v2 I'd say on average it would take longer depending how big the maps are(Morituri 2v2 is small enough for 25 to be ok). People play can play very differently and much more serious in a real tournament. You might be surprised how many turns games could take.
fromoze wrote:I'm going to start a poll on the user's forum. If there're people enough may be we can try a first edition.
I am sure you will get 8 teams of 2 people. Make sure you ask Dave(aka sirp) for contact info so the main Wesnoth news site will mention your tournament.
fromoze

Post by fromoze »

For 2v2 I'd say on average it would take longer depending how big the maps are(Morituri 2v2 is small enough for 25 to be ok). People play can play very differently and much more serious in a real tournament. You might be surprised how many turns games could take.
Well, I thinked about keeping it on the dimesions of morituri; I see it as a really nice map to 2v2.

I say about 25 turn to the games doesn't became too much long. I think 25 turns can't go much long of 90 minutes, nor? Especially because now I see, that's need to have the matchs time announced!! Yes, many of us would like to see the first position teams matchs, no? Fot that is enough, I think to the one who must do the report of the match of the week must be informed about when would be the games to put it on the forum (at the time the match is dated by the two teams).

But, I don't your opinion about, but I think the possibility of the draw must be keep.
I am sure you will get 8 teams of 2 people. Make sure you ask Dave(aka sirp) for contact info so the main Wesnoth news site will mention your tournament.
Yes I'll talk to him. There're 11 people who answer positive to the Poll. This week I'm a little off-line becuase I'm in holidays and I must travel. And next week too. But, I'm gonna try to remake the rules list today and may next monday star 10 days incription time. If there's only 6 teams, we can do the league before summer... and if it works try to do it again on september/october.

I think about do the firt league just as an experiment. I'll try to do all the work fot this time, and just ask the team when I see I can't...

Well, the name of the league? Wesnoth World League is nice? Any idea? I need to know it to create an email account to recibe the teams inscription ;).
ShrinK

Post by ShrinK »

I like your name. plane and simple not complicated..