To share Wesnoth features and code with others

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

To share Wesnoth features and code with others

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

I hope Wesnoth wiki will tell us different features in Wesnoth content, and how to code them. It would make life easier for future add-on developers and result in more diverse add-ons in the future. I know WML Workshop forum but it has one problem: people must ask questions in order to get information. The wiki already tells us about LotI attack specials, abilities, AMLAs and items.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.
shevegen

Re: To share Wesnoth features and code with others

Post by shevegen »

Personally I found WML a bit difficult to use. Lua may be an option for some, but I don't
think I will learn lua merely for using it in wesnoth.

What would be kind of cool would be ... two things:

1) the whole GUI building of campaigns could be enabled within wesnoth. We already have
a scenario editor or so, map editor where we can put down things and design maps, which
is quite useful. It would be great to have this for building of campaigns in general, so that
people can create campaigns without having to touch WML ever. Or perhaps up to 99%
and then some more experienced devs can help them. This could also be streamlined
via GUI as well as the forum or github, e. g. "I just built 10 maps and this campaign but
now I need help from an experienced devs giving feedback and improving the conditional
checks and storyline within the campaign".

Something like a mentor state or so, but one that ideally can be efficient, e. g. making good
use of people's time, both by newcomers and old folks. Because we all know people
come and go depending on motivation and time, so we have to account for that too. And
make that easy. Both for young folk and old ones who may not have as much time anymore
due to conflicting responsibilities.

2) The use of AI in building campaigns and storylines. This may sound semi-futuristic
right now but I saw some recent results in regards to AI, and some of that is nice.
For instance I have zero graphics skills, but using AI I could perhaps autogenerate
some sprites as placeholders automatically; and for campaigns I could write "Lady
Buxasomsonsa's castle is under siege by an orcish horde that also has trolls,
goblins and human mercenaries". Such a sentence could then be turned into,
say an army composition of 80% orcs 5% goblins etc..., with a bit of variation or
further tweaking by the user. So in other words, to have AI help us create content.

I am not saying ALL content, but simply as an additional helper tool e. g. to lay
the groundwork with AI (including graphics etc..) and the last 5-15% or so gets
made by the real human then.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For 1.17/1.18, the editor can now create a basic add-on structure, so you can create and upload an add-on with simple scenarios entirely from within the game, which would be the basis of being able to do #1 at least. I don't think there are any plans for actually adding a fully campaign editor in though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

shevegen wrote: February 21st, 2024, 11:38 pm
2) The use of AI in building campaigns and storylines. This may sound semi-futuristic
right now but I saw some recent results in regards to AI, and some of that is nice.
For instance I have zero graphics skills, but using AI I could perhaps autogenerate
some sprites as placeholders automatically; and for campaigns I could write "Lady
Buxasomsonsa's castle is under siege by an orcish horde that also has trolls,
goblins and human mercenaries". Such a sentence could then be turned into,
say an army composition of 80% orcs 5% goblins etc..., with a bit of variation or
further tweaking by the user. So in other words, to have AI help us create content.

I am not saying ALL content, but simply as an additional helper tool e. g. to lay
the groundwork with AI (including graphics etc..) and the last 5-15% or so gets
made by the real human then.
AI sucks at writing WML. But maybe one could use an AI to write an AI that would write WML.

That's gotta work!
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.