Turn timer limit policy clarification

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Spannerbag

Turn timer limit policy clarification

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi,
Recently stumbled across posts asking if the turn time limit in multiplayer could be implemented/ported to single player campaigns.
I've never used it and assume it simply ends the current player's turn with extreme prejudice?
If not, please enlighten me.

I did not see any replies stating definitively whether:
  1. It was policy to not allow this, or
  2. OK to do this but no-one's actually done it.
If I missed the relevant replies apologies and again, please enlighten me.
FWIW I think that there are a few situations where a timer might add to (SP) player enjoyment?

Anyway, is there a formal policy or is it simply no-one's done this (again, if someone has and I missed it, apologies).
And don't look at me - it's waaay beyond my minimal lua knowledge/capability!

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Turn timer limit policy clarification

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I've never used it and assume it simply ends the current player's turn with extreme prejudice?
In MP, once the timer expires, the turn ends. It's mostly to mitigate player frustrations since I have read reports of some people taking "2 hours" to take a single turn. If I was time-conscious, I would not play that kind of match with hour-long turns.
OK to do this but no-one's actually done it.
Not sure anybody felt the need to do it. SP campaigns are played offline so having a stop timer there hardly makes sense.
I mean one place where I think it would be convenient to have one would be in massive army scenarios, where AI turns last several minutes.
However, the answer you're looking for is: "Nobody has implemented it"
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 9th, 2023, 8:56 pm ...In MP, once the timer expires, the turn ends...
...However, the answer you're looking for is: "Nobody has implemented it"
Brilliant!
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

AI turns and timer are not related. Timer can end turn only when client is idle. If AI is idle it ends its turn on its own already, no matter what timer says. Example of not idle is when you have context menu open.

My guess is that timer is followed only on client side to be more resilient to oos.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Ravana wrote: June 10th, 2023, 12:01 am AI turns and timer are not related. Timer can end turn only when client is idle. If AI is idle it ends its turn on its own already, no matter what timer says. Example of not idle is when you have context menu open.

My guess is that timer is followed only on client side to be more resilient to oos.
Thanks for the explanation, very informative.
FWIW the way I thought it might work in sp (and as I say it's beyond my lua ability) was for human players only and simply issue an [end_turn]?
I.e. all other controllers; ai, idle etc., would be ignored.

If there was a "blocking" process in operation (such as context menu) then I would assume that the player could not do much in those circumstances (though I have no idea what other processes might be blockers) and have the timer simply wait until the blocking process was finished (but no idea how to do that or even if it can be done in lua).

Anyway this was more for clarification than anything as I lack the technical capability to actually code this and even if I did have access to this facility it would be used very sparingly where real time limits (as opposed to turn number "time" limits) would add (IMHO) to player enjoyment.

It might be used to not allow the player to think for too long (in real time).
E.g. escaping from a slowly flooding maze or cave system would be a crude example.
The player can spend time considering the best route (and risk losing access to some routes) or just make a run for it in whatever direction looks best before the waters become too much of an obstacle...
(This is a very crude example but, I hope, explains the idea).

Whilst the above would work it only limits the time available in each turn so the player has no motivation to end a turn sooner so ideally I'd also like to be able to capture the time "unspent" (=timer value if it counts down) when a turn ends (only greater than zero of course when the player ends the turn early).
In this way the total "thinking/playing time" available to a player can be managed (quicker moves = more and/or longer time limited turns).

However this does all rather go against the nature of BfW as a turn based strategy game so, for me anyway, it's very much an optional extra :)

Thanks again,
cheers!
-- Spannerbag