South Guard 7a — Into the Depths

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CurtisStarrCook

South Guard 7a — Into the Depths

Post by CurtisStarrCook »

I used to play this game on Mac a LOT, but this is my first attempt since switching to Windows nearly four years ago. I'm playing 1.17.16 on the hardest level, and it's kicking my ass.

I'm on turn 22 having killed off the first two sets of subsidiary undead forces, and I'm about to trip the meeting with the 'big bad' ex-elf. I'm trying to hold back two or three turns in the hopes of healing my badly battered forces, but that isn't really working out, as the undead are picking off a 3rd level unit a turn. I don't want to back up too far because it feels like attacking them at 70-80% while they're in the water SHOULD be the best move. Does anyone have any advice?

I tried reading some of the walkthrough/feedback entries and was shocked to discover that I'm apparently able to move the Trolls? The dialogue said they'd show me where the undead citadels were — and they did — but said nothing about them coming in on my side. In fact, I got the distinct impression they didn't want me in their section of the caverns, so I steered clear. Should I send my Mounted General back to rendezvous with them and bring them in through Mal's rear?

Aside from the five Trolls and the Mounted General, my forces consist of:
3rd level — Infantry Commander
2 Royal Guardsmen (swords)
2 Master Bowmen (who have been surprisingly useful)
Mage of Light (healer)
Elvish Shyde (healer)

2nd level — Javelineer (max level; should have gone for another swordsman)
2 Elvish Sorceresses
Elvish Druid (healer)
Pikeman (should have gone for another swordsman)
Dragoon (he's the guy who keeps activating Mal)
Merman Warrior (the walkthrough/feedbacks emphasize how useful the Mermen are, but they're far an away my least useful units; when I lost the Hunter in scenario 6 I never considered replacing him, and he was MUCH more useful than the Warrior)

1st level — 3 Elvish Shamans (added late because I didn't have enough healers; doubt they'll level)
CurtisStarrCook

Re: South Guard 7a — Into the Depths

Well, that didn't work at all. First, the Trolls can't come in from behind Mal; they have to follow the same path around as everyone else. Second, even though I spent three additional turns destroying all of Mal's non-spammed troops (leveling up one of the Elvish Sorceresses and the Dragoon, and coming within a few XP of leveling the other Sorceress and the Druid) and ended up in a really good defensive position where everyone who could get hit was on 60% terrain, just his first turn of spam destroyed two of my level 3s and the sorceress who was about to level up WHO WAS IN THE SECOND RANK. Aside from the sorceress, who was down to 20hp, everyone had nearly full hp (within 10) and they couldn't be hit from more than two hexes.

I just don't see a way to win this. I really couldn't have set myself up better, and Mal just kicked my ass, and now he has a solid line of third levels in front of him, and I'm decimated. Seriously, does anyone have any ideas?
CurtisStarrCook

Crises averted. I overreacted. Finished the thing (finally), but the carnage was… discouraging.
arnaldo_br

Post by arnaldo_br »

I made a video about this scenario. It is in portuguese, but it might be helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGFeLe ... aldoCastro
The losses doesnt matter much, this is the hardest scenario of the campaign. You should be able to finish the others even with a weak recall list