What are the Faerie?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gothyoba

What are the Faerie?

Post by Gothyoba »

I noticed many unit descriptions mention the faerie, like here in the description for elves:

… their magic has some strong connection to the faerie …

What are the faerie? Is it simply a magical force, or something else? Are they a race, as in AtS and IftU? If so, what do they look like? If it is a form of magic, how does it compare to all other magic in Irdya?

The faerie are also mentioned elsewhere, and I’m unsure as to the role of the Faerie in Wesnoth lore. There are even mentions of a faerie world, as in here in the White Horse description:

As if blessed by the faerie world, they have a grace and agility not found in their more common relatives.

How does this relate to the faerie?
Whitefang Orc
ChrundleTheGreat

Re: What are the Faerie?

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

it sound to me like a part of the spiritual practice of a culture, its like the name for that force of nature that inhabits other planes of existance that only some elves can interact with, it does seem to be a living force but not necessairly a race or species.
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

Thanks. This seems quite interesting and I will keep this in mind for my planned campaign (I probably won’t expand much on this, as the campaign is not an elf or wose campaign, but I might look into how it is seen by other cultures).
Whitefang Orc
ChrundleTheGreat

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

:)
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Faeries seems to be a race very connected with nature, much like a woses. They are mostly living creatures, forest spirit is rather spirit as the name mention but of course not undead.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"