Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

My bad, poi is a point of interest. It is a specific point in random dungeon or open world map design. In Strange Legacy each random dungeon has at least one major point of interest, such as a point where a boss spawns (inside a castle or without), a treasure, an artifact, a city or trader and many more at a specific location. Sometimes these point of interest trigger an event such as an portal to the city of vampires, an encounter with titans or a hidden location inside the dungeon.

One of these point of interest spawns a "Shadow".

This Shadow will be spawned directly next to you and says "..." and than walks to a specific point inside the with a pentagram (on random location inside the dungeons). They are spawned as side 3 and have simple targeting. As you know there are two faction inside the dungeons, side 3 and side 4. Side 4 are guardians of the dungeon, side 3 are "intruders" and so side 4 will attack the Shadow as well as being a distraction targets for the shadow. So one idea to avoid fighting shadows is to just leave the random dungeon. Another more complicated idea is the walk inside a dungeon without any weapons. The shadow will than have no weapons to fight with as he is an exact copy of you at this specific point. The good old "Price of Persia" trick. But maybe that is, even if it is a reference to a legendary game, too complicated. As he can not use spells, mages should be fine to kill it from a distance. Melee fighter will have a hard battle, however they can still heal and use buffs, so this should not be a problem.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. I sometimes got experience points from writing teleportscrolls even though I shouln’t.
2. I was able to use a teleportscroll just after casting a spell.
3. A suggestion: You can’t access some terrains without buying an upgrade in a workshop. I remember that was before but got changed because after winter came it might have been impossible to travel to Elves Rise for snow upgrade. That’s why I also suggest you can buy a terrain upgrade anywhere but it gives you negative income until you pay the gold in the correct workshop. Or, another option: the player gets a message that tells about the importance of snow upgrade.
4. You can make exponentially more money if you buy herbs in Swamp City and sell them in Desert Keep.
5. A suggestion: factions can give more than one recruit option if your reputation is even higher or you do a specific quest.
6. A suggestion: you can borrow money which gives you negative income until you pay the loan back.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks again for your comments and reports Spirit.

1. Ok, so you deactivated that the crafting gives you experience? Because usually it does with a specific chance.
2. Hm, teleportscrolls can be used one after another, because they bent time. It is a nice feature, I enjoyed while testing so I kept it in the game.
3. You can enter all terrains - I've changed that a while ago, but you should have enough MP to move there. Usually they were set to 9999 to make that impossible, but I've changed that a while ago (probably 2-3 years) to avoid situations like that.
4. Ok, another buy sell exploit. Will check.
5. Yeah, I was even thinking about specific items etc. Takes time however to make this, due to the number of factions.
6. Nice idea, I will think about it.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

1. A suggestion: Cheaper and easier to write teleportscrolls that teleport to a preselected location. Every such location uses one slot. You, the campaign author, could decide how many slots the player can have and how they’re obtained. Somewhat like those scrolls that teleport next to traders in Five Fates.
2. The dark portal didn’t give access to the open sea.
3. There are two ”Necromancer Spells” that should have different names in my opinion. One summons a skeleton and the other summons a ghost.
4. I changed my portrait to cavalryman but when using my desk or my craftingbook I had one of the two default portraits.
5. A suggestion: a shapeshift spell, scroll or potion that lets you choose any existing unit type’s resistances, defences and movement costs. This probably should affect HP and damage.
6. A suggestion: A claimable achievement that is unlocked when your recall list has every unit type you can get in this campaign, including advancements. The achievement’s name could be ”gotta catch ’em all” if it isn’t a registered trademark.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. A suggestion: Cheaper and easier to write teleportscrolls that teleport to a preselected location. Every such location uses one slot. You, the campaign author, could decide how many slots the player can have and how they’re obtained. Somewhat like those scrolls that teleport next to traders in Five Fates.
There is a reason, why there are no portal scrolls, as they would be too powerful and could be exploited for trading. Even so they would exist, it is still the question if you could teleport to another map or just to a coordinate inside a specific map. This was possible due to Five Fates unique level design, where everything was inside of one map. I don't want to add this honestly, as I already have 4!!! teleportscrolls in the game. Flee scrolls, greater teleport scrolls, teleport scrolls, teleport away scrolls. Adding another one seems quite unnecessary.
2. The dark portal didn’t give access to the open sea.
It requires you to have ship, because it is on a separate island. So the option will not show, if you don't own a ship. One could say - you've never visited the place, so you never knew that there is a temple at this location. Usually I wanted this for all temples, but as you are pretty much restricted as a bad guy, I've never pulled this idea off.
3. There are two ”Necromancer Spells” that should have different names in my opinion. One summons a skeleton and the other summons a ghost.
Maybe. So far it is Necromancer and Necromancer2.
4. I changed my portrait to cavalryman but when using my desk or my craftingbook I had one of the two default portraits.
Hm, it is "speaker=you", I use this everywhere. This should show your current portrait. No idea whats wrong. However I improved the description of the desk a little bit. It was somewhat odd. Should be better now.
5. A suggestion: a shapeshift spell, scroll or potion that lets you choose any existing unit type’s resistances, defences and movement costs. This probably should affect HP and damage.
Sounds fun, but will be a lot of work. Will see what I can do in the next update. So far you can already design own weapons, spells, even summons, so adding this would make sense.
6. A suggestion: A claimable achievement that is unlocked when your recall list has every unit type you can get in this campaign, including advancements. The achievement’s name could be ”gotta catch ’em all” if it isn’t a registered trademark.
Nah, beside I'm not quite sure how to code that, this would take an enormous amount of work for only one achievement. I think I have over 100 unique monsters in this add-on, if not more if you count in the different hero units - such as "The Grey" or the Titans. And you can summon even those, if you design an own summon spell.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. I think every single side mission should have yes/no choice. I suggest that the player gets a small penalty if he or she chooses ”yes” and then aborts the mission.
2. A suggestion: something that allows the player to recall feeble but not powerful veterans. In the course of the campaign the player would become able to recall more and more powerful veterans this way.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi spirit,

1. You can abort missions anyway. Maybe I could add an abort option to the mission overview in the diary. This could help. I'm against a penalty that's why I designed it as it is. The question what penalty - negative fame isn't a bad thing for most players on the dark side, reputation should always take in regard the faction that gives you the mission - and this is where it get complicated.
2. I have no idea how to limit recalls. It could be based on charisma, but I'm not sure that is even possible. You already get good units in the end, you can recall - such as Scar Face, Swamp witch and Bullseye.
Glaucos

Post by Glaucos »

I'm really enjoying the campaign, thank you for creating this :)

I've got stuck at the following stage of Chapter 3: part 8, please can I ask for advice with this?
Spoiler:
Thank you for any advice :)
Glaucos

Post by Glaucos »

I figured out which keywords I needed and I edited my latest saved file, which seems to have worked and now I can continue with the main story :)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Glaucos,

thanks for trying and playing Strange Legacy. There is a guide what you have to do for each part of the story. You can find this here, just in case you get lost.

http://www.heindal.de/strangelegacy/walkthrough.html

Enjoy the story / game and have fun :).
Glaucos

Post by Glaucos »

Thanks for replying :D I got to the end of the game, it's amazing what you've done with Wesnoth :)
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you, there are some endgame features such as finding all Titan Bosses and all secrets in the dungeons, the treasure hunt for the words of power or the crafting of own spells and even creating own unique equipment. There are higher difficulties which unlock some challenges as well, and the highly recommended RPG mode, where you select race, classes and abilities as well as special abilities for your hero.
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded a new version
Codename: Fortes fortuna adiuvat
Version number: 1.16.24
Battle for Wesnoth: 1.16
New_Version.png
New_Version.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Fortes fortuna adiuvat is about skills. I've reworked most of the skills most important skill is fishing, which allows to fish around 22 different types of fish all over the world in different locations, based on your skill. The fishing skill will now be easy to learn, but hard to master.

This is done by a simple mechanism: I dice a number from 0-100, if the skill is lower or equal than the diced number, the skill increases. So it should be easy to reach 50, but till than it will get harder and harder. This means: if you have a skill of 0 you have a 100% chance that the skill increases, if you have a skill of 20 you have a 80% chance to increase that skill. At 50 it is 50% and at 99 you have a 1% chance to increase that skill. So getting to 100 is pretty hard. Reaching 100 however will double the income you receive by skills using that mechanism.

The same mechanism is now used by empathy and farming. That's what "care taking" was used to be. Caretaking was ever since an odd word, but I could not find a proper name for it. But empathy pretty much says what this is about. Empathy will not only allow you to interact with humans, but also with animals by raising them. Killing / Slaughtering animals will however reduce your empathy. Empathy will have some impact in some decisions to prevent raids and will unlock some clever options to get rid of your enemies.

But wasn't caretaking, for whatever reason, used to grow plants? Yes, and that is where the new farming skill steps in. Farming represent everything connected with growing plants. The options to grow plants have now increased and you are able to grow some new trees that can be placed as decoration.

Farming now unlocks:

0 Grains / Mushrooms
10 Seaweed
20 Tomato
40 Herbs
50 Double Amount of Mushrooms
60 Roots / poisonous mushrooms
80 sulfur mushrooms
90 pinch of spices
95 unlock craftable decoration
100 bone dust mushrooms
100+ double garden / farm income

I also connected skills:

-- fishing obviously is a good source to get ingredients for cooking
-- fishing sometimes gets you a locked box which needs to be unlocked with lockpicking
-- wildlife unlocks the option to calm down animals in encounters, the chance is increased by empathy
--- note the even at an empathy value of 100 there is still a slight chance of failure
-- farming goes well together with cooking, as you can grow many ingredients
-- farming in mushroom farms now grants some ingredients for alchemy

I also renamed the skill variable names to get rid of stupid things such as "tradingskill" or "buildingskill".
Why now and not earlier? I was afraid that changing the skill names would break the add-on. It didn't. Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Here a list of the name changes:

Alchemy: $alchemy|. Transmutate new materials and create own spells.
Archaeology: $archaeology| Allows finding artifact, use shrines and other options in random dungeons.
Building: $building|. Needed to repair ships, buildings and requirement for building upgrades.
Carouse: $carouse|. Improved gossip and options in cottage and brewery. Solutions for some quests.
Cheating: $cheating|. Improves gambling, unlocks options and allows to enter prohibited places.
Fishing: $fishing|. Increases your chances and quality of fish.
Lockpicking: $lockpicking|. Needed to crack locks with your lockpick.
Mining: $mining|. Increases your income when mining in dungeons and allows to mine better veins.
Music: $music|. Increases your income when singing in the tavern.
Pickpocketing: $pickpocketing|. Increases your chance and the income when pickpocketing in the tavern.
Smithing: $smithing|. Unlocks recipes when smithing with your anvil.
Trading: $trading|. Increases your chance to convince people. Needed for quests and bargains.
Crafting: $crafting|. Unlocks recipes when crafting with your workbench.
Cooking: $cooking|. Unlocks recipes when cooking with your oven.
Empathy: $empathy|. Unlocks options in the farm, orphanshome and random encounters.
Farming: $farming|. Unlocks options in the garden, musroomfarm.
Writing: $writing|. Allows you to copy books and create own spell scrolls on your desk.
Wildlife: $wildlife|. Increases income when gathering resources, increases options in camping and random events.

I also renamed some ingredients:

algaes to seaweed
algaesoup to seaweedsoup
meatpieces to meat_slices
fishpieces to sashimi
grainpieces to grains
spicepieces to pinch_of_spices
silkpieces to silk_strip
weeds to roots

Now the complete list of changes:

bugfixes

- resting nearby production places did not calculate your stamina gain correctly and added up each time
-- note that resting nearby a camp, will be improved when having a cauldron and a tent
-- there is now a small chance for a raid, the chance is decreased by luck (poor vampires with negative luck - but staying in the sun isn't good for them!)
- random attackers (random units) with abilities received abilities twice, this is now resolved
- some variables in random encounter options didn't work
- garden and mushroom garden will now show up in the house when bought

misc:

- added hint to the big final battle how to speed up the game
- halfed the price for rarestuff in the Black Market and the Bounty Hunter guild to prevent exploits
- increased buying prices for mithril, darkwood, dragonleather
- you can now lie to get entrance to: the royal hunter soceity, drake stables
- added options to exit inventory and consumables at the top, so you don't have to scroll down, in case of many items
-- it looks odd however when entering an empty inventory :/

- harbour city: placed unmoveable terrain, so that random npcs don't walk into the water

- clever bribing options (beer for dwarves mmmh beer etc.) now requires trading or empathy at specific level
-- the option however shows you, which skill unlocked these options to make the mechanics more transparent

- in random events and fishing you can now find small treasureboxes
-- these can be unlocked using lockpick and lockpicking, grants a level up in the skill beside some loot

- overworked and improved some images
- improved net overlay, bold hair, streatwear clothes, desk
- created new counter images for different kinds of traders and vendors

- increased uglyness of the ugly beard by factor 1.5
- random npcs can now be catkin, wolfkin have a tourist outfit, different haircuts
- random attackers (Mercs) can now be catkin and wolfkin and have way more weapons, shoes, helmet and haircuts
- Fortes fortuna adiuvat: drinking and identifying random potions will now have improved results once your luck reaches 10
(bad things can still happen, but with a reduced chance)

- a variety of skills that seemed pointless have been overworked
- psalm now needs epic dragon leather to be crafted instead of normal paper

Empathy

- caretaking skill was a skill that combined several skills in one
-- they will now split up into empathy and farming

- empathy replaces caretaking in most places
- empathy is used to raise animals and increases the results of raising cattles
- empathy allows you to interact with humans (e.g. orphans) and animals (in encounters, random decisions)
- empathy and is essential for diplomacy

- new options in the farm allow you to raise cattle, chicken and collect eggs
- increased chances by empathy
- slaughter chicken or cattle is possible for meat or ingredients
- these options reduce empathy

Production Places

- wording changed / improved
- you can now find random ingredients, using the "gather resources"
- there is a new option in fishing spots to fish a random type of fish
-- there are 22 different types of fish, based on the location

- making a campfire no longer takes away an action, but requires one sulfur
- the option will show even so you don't have sulfur

Buildings

- more options in buy-able building

Fisher Hut

- to make a second hand weapon net you just need a stripe of silk, not an entire cargo load
- you can make a fishingrod for one woodpiece, not an entire cargo load
- you can now fish in the fisher hut to catch rare river fishes

- Explore Mine option in Mines
-- explore a random level, filled with resources which can be mined based on your mining skill
-- you will dig through the stone using stamina and can find different ores
-- funny little mini-game based on Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer

Farm

- deleted option to Bake Bread in the Farm
- Fertile Soil new option in the Farm allows to create a vegetable garden in your house
- overworked / renamed cattle options
- new option Raise Chicken, Slaughter Chicken, Search for Eggs
-- a chicken can be raised for 1 Grain (good)
-- this is a good way to increase empathy
-- once you have a chicken, you search for eggs, the chance is increased by empathy and the number of chicken
-- calculation is simple: empathy + chickens = chance in %
-- so far eggs can just be sold on the market

Farming / Crafting changes:

- new options in the garden
- new options in the mushroom farm
-- grow poisonous mushrooms and more to create ingredients for alchemy
-- improved overview for farming in crafting book
-- added hint in garden/mushroom farm, that you need to fetch water
-- added possibility to buy and grow decorations in your garden
-- 5 new unique decorations added (trees and mushrooms)

Castle Cellar

- the castle now has a cellar - you can unlock it with 200 building skill
-- i will extend the options here in future versions

Fishing

- fishing can be done in different location, each world map now has at least one spot
- the basic locations for fish are: arctic, river, ocean, lake, cave
- based on your location and your skill you can find different fish
- reaching 50 fishing increases the chances to catch a fish
- reaching 75 fishing increase the chances and the kind of fish you can catch
- reaching 100 may unlock some of the rare kinds and doubles your income when fishing

You might want to discover them for your self, but here is the list just in case you are curious:
Spoiler:
- What can you do with your fish?
-- collect all 22 if you like
-- turn them into sashimi and make delicious dishes
-- turn them into fish on a stick, buy using a piece of wood (woodpieces)
-- this can be done in the help menu, using the new option "Fishbox"
-- note that using these feature you consume 1 fish each, not all of them
-- this should represent the work, that you put in doing that,
-- so it is intended that you need several clicks

Fish Market

- the fish market is located in Harbourcity
- you can buy fish and sashimi
- you can sell your single fishes based on their value
- there is high demand on one fish, you can sell it for bonus gold
- there is a fish of the day, you can buy it for your collection, if you like
- overall improved the city with extra workers, traders and npcs
Last edited by Heindal on August 27th, 2023, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Small note: the past tense of "catch" is "caught", not "catched".
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Pentarctagon wrote: August 26th, 2023, 2:32 pm Small note: the past tense of "catch" is "caught", not "catched".
Thanks, my bad. Will change it. Reminds me of the one screenshot with desert instead of dessert.