[Request/Inquiry] Vision and Fog of War using remaining MP instead of potential MP

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mintleaf

[Request/Inquiry] Vision and Fog of War using remaining MP instead of potential MP

Post by mintleaf »

I don't have any experience modding Wesnoth or using WML, just a bit of copywriting for Dunefolk awhile back.

I wondered what the folks here would think of Vision using remaining MP instead of total potential MP instead. Yes it would slow games down a lot and force players to play very cautiously, but I can imagine it having other interesting ramifications as well. Frontlines and battlegrounds would form and shift differently, ambushes would be a lot easier and consequential (not the skill itself but the circumstances), scouts would have to take a break village running to provide reconnaissance for the main force even on smaller maps.

In addition you could get even more hardcore and factor in Zone of Control, using troops and terrain to block the sight of other troops you intend to hide. I am very used to vanilla Wesnoth so this can sound like quite a nightmare of a game, but it seems like an interesting experiment to me.

With my very limited understanding of how Wesnoth code works, it seems like these concepts aren't so readily applicable, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of those more experienced with Wesnoth coding as well as Wesnoth balancing and multiplayer play.
Toranks
Translator

Re: [Request/Inquiry] Vision and Fog of War using remaining MP instead of potential MP

Post by Toranks »

Wouldn't this be similar to playing with fog delayed?
IPS

Re: [Request/Inquiry] Vision and Fog of War using remaining MP instead of potential MP

Post by IPS »

Toranks wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:29 pm Wouldn't this be similar to playing with fog delayed?
Not exactly, because if your scout is already moved 6/8 , it will reveal only 2 tiles radius scout instead of the full 8 , unlike if you did a 6/8 in your scout and then you do some movement that cannot be reverted, that 2/8 movement scout will reveal all in a 8 tiles radius instead of only 2. The point is that even if they're similar is not exactly the same.

Maybe that as a mod would be better idea than modifacating mainline mintleaf as an opinion of mine.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Try reduce unit max_moves to moves in enter hex, and restore the amount in turn refresh.
mintleaf

Post by mintleaf »

Toranks wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:29 pm Wouldn't this be similar to playing with fog delayed?
Is there such an option or mod I wasn't aware of? Or is this a reframing of the suggestion that might be implemented more readily?