A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Argesilao2

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by Argesilao2 »

Just finished to play the whole campaign, with BfW 1.16.0, difficulty normal.

I would like to point out one drawbacks, which are, however, irrelevant, in the scenario 06 Emerging from the deep:
When a Great Troll moves in sector 26,47 then he destroys the cave wall in sector 25,48, as expected; but when I move the same troll through the gap, reaching the sector 29,48, the troll destroys the cave wall, already destroyed, another time.

While I'm at it, I add constructive criticism: It would be an improvement if the map that appears at the beginning of almost all scenarios somehow indicates where the action takes place. :eng:

Thank you for yours work.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Argesilao2 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:46 pm When a Great Troll moves in sector 26,47 then he destroys the cave wall in sector 25,48, as expected; but when I move the same troll through the gap, reaching the sector 29,48, the troll destroys the cave wall, already destroyed, another time.
Fixed. Good catch, thank you for noticing. :D
Argesilao2 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:46 pm It would be an improvement if the map that appears at the beginning of almost all scenarios somehow indicates where the action takes place. :eng:
That means much more work. Maybe I will do that someday, but I can't promise . :whistle:
Argesilao2 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:46 pm Thank you for yours work.
I am just the maintainer, the author has abandoned his campaign years ago.
Thank you anyway. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

octalot wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:45 am S2 - Following the Trail
(1) Wesnoth version: 1.16.1+dev
(2) Version of AVB: 1.0.26
(3) Difficulty: Normal
(4) Modifications used: None

I recruited horse-riders to scout both west and north. That extra movement meant that I triggered the first encounter at on turn 3 (second watch) instead of dawn; a bunch of orcs with +25% ToD bonus, close enough that they will get an attack this turn. Decided to form a defensive formation at the cost of putting some units on poor terrain, although in the end the one of the two elves who died was on forest.

I thought that I'd picked up a hint from the dialogue that the orcs will scatter when their leader dies, and that I should try to get XP. So on turn 6, I grab as much XP as I can and attack with almost all of my units before killing the leader. That event spawns 2 L2 + 1 L1 orcish assassins in the middle of my troops.

I assume triggering the encounter early with a scout wasn't anticipated in the campaign design, but the second surprise makes me feel that the campaign punishes players trying to pick up hints from the dialogue. So I'm not restarting, I'm just moving on to another campaign.
The hint in the text is only partially misleading. As soon as you kill the Orc leader, the other Orcs disappear. The Assassins belong to another group of Orcs. :whistle:
It wasn’t me who has designed and coded that scenario, and I don’t want to make big changes, but maybe we should think about doing a little bit here.

Option 1:
The Assassins are spawning a little further away.

Option 2:
The Assassins spawn one turn later.

Option 3:
The Assassins spawn with moves=0, attacks_left=0
:hmm:

Or perhaps a combination of several of the above options.
:eng:

EDIT: Answer moved from the replay thread, to the development thread
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

You may want to request a mod/admin to edit the title of the thread to [13 scenarios], as two of the files are story-only.
Hmm, also, any chance of some of the "Defeat all Enemy leaders" levels to have a change in objectives. I felt this objective was being thrown in frequently and in some case, without no apparent reason.

The last scenario of this campaign is probably quite nice for unleashing every Sylph I had in my recall list, which is amazing.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hephoto

Post by hephoto »

Hi,

Nice campaign.
Just one small thing, would be nice to have on the map of Wesnoth the travel trails, to see where we are and what we traveled.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hey! I just played this again on BfW 1.16. It remains as playable as ever.

I think it's just the work of the 1.16 AI but the Berserkers/Ulfserkers actually cost me a couple of Elvish Fighter for IIRC the first time ever that I've played this campaign. Yikes, but nice.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I don't know if the developers have changed the stats of the Berserker recently, maybe someone who knew about it can clarify that.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

The stats themselves (HP; speed, damage) are the same as always. What's changed is what the AI does with the unit.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I just went through the scenario twice, and I can see some difference.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I'm not sure what you mean. Difference between what and what?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Adamant14 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 8:06 pm I just went through the scenario twice, and I can see some difference.
The AI in 1.16.x is smarter, but the same tactic still works. Exposing berserkers on snow + slowing + hero melee attack.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Going through a saved replay of the scenario, I can say that I actually ‘solved’ the ?-serker problem by heavy use of druids. In fact, I lucked into luring them into standing on snow at the edge of a forest and then Shyde-Druid teams got 1) a slow-type attack and then engaged in a hand-to-hand battle in which the elves had a healthy 70% defence stat. But one of the berserkers ran straight for the mountains before even my fastest units could get there and helped the foremost three steelclads kill two elvish fighters. Nasty, but that's what one recruits a couple Lv. 1 units for each scenario.

Another interesting development in that scenario was the dwarves trying to outflank me going all the way up the mountains on the western and northern sides of the map - all the snowy and/or hilly terrain just made it unreachable. As always, dwarves' abysmal defence stat on anything but mountains gave me the edge.

It's nice to see the AI get smarter: back in… 1.10 I think? by definition it wouldn't attack any unit within range of promotion and it could often be lured into having a skeleton standing in a water tile to attack a shock trooper on a castle tile in broad daylight.