Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GreenScarab

Re: Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Post by GreenScarab »

Hi,

poster 1.1.3.png

Here is the 1.1.3 version of the campaign.

I hope you will be satisfied with the changes and additions and mostly have fun discovering new ones.

CHANGELOG

Spoiler:
LienRag wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:48 am Hi.
I'm on the Add-on server right now and I can't find your campaign neither with the "sand" keyword nor the "dream" one ?

The campaign is up again on the server, have fun with it :D
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'm sorry for the long break. :/

Day of the Brave
Spoiler:
I think the Wyvern needs to be made stronger. Sometimes it dies as early as turn 9, and I don't think it's possible to win the scenario that fast.

Memories of the Past
Spoiler:
Under the Black Stars
To continue where I left off two months ago. :D
Spoiler:
To be continued. Glad to be back.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Hi Konrad2, long time no see!

Konrad2 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:03 pm I think the Wyvern needs to be made stronger. Sometimes it dies as early as turn 9, and I don't think it's possible to win the scenario that fast.
That's true, I guess. I will give Wyvern + 28 HP to have around 100 HP, and I will also grant it a slow weapon specjal. I think these little tweaks will make it more difficult to beat.

Konrad2 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:03 pm but what he struggled with all his life managed to take him away from me. -> I have trouble understanding the meaning of this sentence. Can you rephrase it, maybe I'll understand it better then.
What I meant by this sentence was that what Lady Ozese's husband fought against - magic/magical artifacts (as he fell into a fanaticism of destroying any manifestation of magic he encountered) caused him to be: taken from her/disappeared without a trace, or die.

Anyway, I am happy to hear from you again :D
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Memories of the Past
a beast that even our forefathers were afraid to unleash while fighting the dead -> a beast that our forefathers were afraid to unleash even while fighting the dead
but what he struggled with all his life managed to take him away from me. -> but he let himself be consumed by his task, causing him to be lost to all of us.

Under the Black Stars
Spoiler:
At the Last Moment
Feedback I've so far always forgotten to give.
This scenario is unreasonable difficult. I always beat it after multiple tries and manipulating luck via save loading, because there is no other way.
1) They are way faster than me, and my 'strong' units (Modome and Nemee) have pretty much no way of catching them. And slowing the unit doesn't slow them down when moving ahead.
2) You can't 'just chase' them, because if you are in their range, they will attack you. Which is very bad, as they are lvl 3 units and deal that kind of damage.
3) Plus, after they attack you, they still move 14 something hexes to their scripted next stop on their route.
4) If they didn't attack me as they were running away, I think it would be balanced. It might also be how you intended for this scenario to be played, and maybe the state right now is just a bug.

Soul of Aom cannot earn xp, is that how it's supposed to be?
Attachments
DitS-At the Last Moment-Auto-Save4.gz
(43.05 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
DitS-Under the Black Stars replay 20230528-092721.gz
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Version 1.1.5 has been released!

CHANGELOG

Spoiler:

Konrad2 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:21 am Something seems to be wrong with your Wyvern Rider animations. He is using melee animations for both his melee and his ranged attack.
Regarding the Wyvern Rider, unfortunately I can't do anything about it, because this unit comes from Core of the game itself and I can't edit it.

Konrad2 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:21 am Is the name of the robbers 'From Under the Black Stars', or is it 'Under the Black Stars'?
To be honest I'm not sure :hmm: The bandits are known as - from under the black stars, I don't know if it should be written - From Under the Black Stars, or - from Under the Black Stars.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I've been playing for a bit without going over the text, but I'll backtrack soon to go over it.
For now:
Battle Hum doesn't a replay.
On turn 40 the scenario just ends without anything signaling why it ends..? (Like sure, I accomplished the objective, but what's the story reason for ending it there?)
After battle Hum is over, I'd recommend a short recap about what happened before the player went through Battle Hum, because I had no idea what's going on when they said that they won't see their father again.
Attachments
DitS-Battle Hum Turn 39.gz
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:40 am On turn 40 the scenario just ends without anything signaling why it ends..? (Like sure, I accomplished the objective, but what's the story reason for ending it there?)
The ending of this scenario, which may look a bit incomprehensible at first, was deliberately designed this way by me. The scenario ends abruptly, creating a certain distaste and sense of lack of completion. The player plays and fights as if he is going to win, but it ends quickly, and the result of this battle is something the player understands immediately afterwards in the next scenario. The player starts this battle with knowledge of what will happen, and the battle itself is a kind of tribute to all the dwarves who has died in clash.

This is a special treatment in the conduct of the story. The player then feels the events more personally as he has taken part in them (or not, since this is an optional scenario). Player understands that the king died, the dwarves lost the war, and Ursud and Master Sofun took an oath to take revenge. This is to give more emotion and allow the player to identify more with the events that took place while he was away with the main characters in Sand Foam.

Anyway, I don't want to show the death of King Jarop and Master Luto, that would be too sad for me :cry:

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:40 am After battle Hum is over, I'd recommend a short recap about what happened before the player went through Battle Hum, because I had no idea what's going on when they said that they won't see their father again.
About explaining Battle Hum, I think it is clear enough in the story what has happened there. For example :eng:
Spoiler:

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:40 am Battle Hum doesn't a replay.
Yeah... I will repair it in the next update.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: June 16th, 2023, 4:43 pm
Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:40 am On turn 40 the scenario just ends without anything signaling why it ends..? (Like sure, I accomplished the objective, but what's the story reason for ending it there?)
The ending of this scenario, which may look a bit incomprehensible at first, was deliberately designed this way by me. The scenario ends abruptly, creating a certain distaste and sense of lack of completion. The player plays and fights as if he is going to win, but it ends quickly, and the result of this battle is something the player understands immediately afterwards in the next scenario. The player starts this battle with knowledge of what will happen, and the battle itself is a kind of tribute to all the dwarves who has died in clash.

This is a special treatment in the conduct of the story. The player then feels the events more personally as he has taken part in them (or not, since this is an optional scenario). Player understands that the king died, the dwarves lost the war, and Ursud and Master Sofun took an oath to take revenge. This is to give more emotion and allow the player to identify more with the events that took place while he was away with the main characters in Sand Foam.

Anyway, I don't want to show the death of King Jarop and Master Luto, that would be too sad for me :cry:
I'd suggest some fading out, and some narrator text that they eventually succumbed to the enemy numbers. The way it is, it feels more like there being a bug, than it being intentional.

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:40 am After battle Hum is over, I'd recommend a short recap about what happened before the player went through Battle Hum, because I had no idea what's going on when they said that they won't see their father again.
About explaining Battle Hum, I think it is clear enough in the story what has happened there. For example :eng:
Spoiler:
I believe you misunderstood me. It's perfectly clear what went on in Battle Hum. I'm saying the player might be disorientated/unfamiliar with what's going on after Battle Hum has ended. (I certainly was.)
Battle Hum is not a short scenario, and it's likely that the escape from the Fire Ghosts, and the meetup with their father (plus what they said to each other), is not just 1 scenario ago but also a couple hours/days ago.
My suggestion is some kind of additional story text at the start of the next scenario or at the end of Battle Hum, that tells the player what has been going on before they started Battle Hum, e. g. 'Our father stayed behind to buy us time, something like that.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 7:23 pm I'd suggest some fading out, and some narrator text that they eventually succumbed to the enemy numbers. The way it is, it feels more like there being a bug, than it being intentional.
I think that is a good idea.

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 7:23 pm I believe you misunderstood me. It's perfectly clear what went on in Battle Hum. I'm saying the player might be disorientated/unfamiliar with what's going on after Battle Hum has ended. (I certainly was.)
Battle Hum is not a short scenario, and it's likely that the escape from the Fire Ghosts, and the meetup with their father (plus what they said to each other), is not just 1 scenario ago but also a couple hours/days ago.
My suggestion is some kind of additional story text at the start of the next scenario or at the end of Battle Hum, that tells the player what has been going on before they started Battle Hum, e. g. 'Our father stayed behind to buy us time, something like that.
Sorry, in that case I must have misunderstood what you meant earlier.

So, I still don't know if I understand correctly, adding an additional description of the situation at the beginning of the Pain of the Present scenario, i.e. - "Our father and master Sofun stayed behind so that we could escape the fiery beasts sowing destruction and death. They were unable to prevail against such a numerous enemy and despite knowing this they did so to give us precious time." would solve this problem?
AUTHOR OF:

GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Update 1.1.6 has been released :D

This update introduces:
Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: June 17th, 2023, 7:58 pm So, I still don't know if I understand correctly, adding an additional description of the situation at the beginning of the Pain of the Present scenario, i.e. - "Our father and master Sofun stayed behind so that we could escape the fiery beasts sowing destruction and death. They were unable to prevail against such a numerous enemy and despite knowing this they did so to give us precious time." would solve this problem?
Yes. ^^
(And sorry for suggestion this next thing right after you updated...)

Wouldn't it make more sense for 'Memories of the Past' to be after 'The City that never sleeps', or just before 'The Wish'?
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:19 pm Wouldn't it make more sense for 'Memories of the Past' to be after 'The City that never sleeps', or just before 'The Wish'?
I will put this message in a spoiler as I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

At the Last Moment
Spoiler:
The Wish
The scenario doesn't generate a replay.
Spoiler:
Tongues of Flames
Spoiler:
To be continued.

Pain of the Present also doesn't generate a replay.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 5:10 pm To be continued.
Every time I read this phrase I have in the back of my head Jojo theme :lol:

Jojo ending theme - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... T9ooM7V6-q

Konrad2 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 5:10 pm The Wish
But what is the replay for in the scenarios that are Story-Only? In Mainline campaigns, too, these types of scenarios have no replay, only a save file of the beginning of the scenario.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: June 21st, 2023, 7:52 am
Konrad2 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 5:10 pm The Wish
But what is the replay for in the scenarios that are Story-Only? In Mainline campaigns, too, these types of scenarios have no replay, only a save file of the beginning of the scenario.
You are absolutely correct, I simply forgot that that's the standard. Oops.