Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Winds of Fate

Post by beetlenaut »

name wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:33 pm I am a big fan of your work - SotA is my favorite campaign in the game
I'm glad you like it. Thanks for saying so.
name wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:33 pm Hmm, maybe I should remove income from the scoring system altogether?
No, if you are planning to integrate the right-click score check and the information in the objectives, I think the issue is resolved.

Has anyone managed to beat this campaign on Nightmare? I am only playing on Difficult, and some scenarios are really tough. From the code, it looks like Nightmare would be significantly harder.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
name

Post by name »

beetlenaut wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:13 pm No, if you are planning to integrate the right-click score check and the information in the objectives, I think the issue is resolved.
Sounds good, I will do that.
beetlenaut wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:13 pm Has anyone managed to beat this campaign on Nightmare? I am only playing on Difficult, and some scenarios are really tough. From the code, it looks like Nightmare would be significantly harder.
I think Toranks did recently. I usually play the campaign at that difficulty too, since I had to play test so many times over the development process that it became second nature.

Generally, the campaign puts you up against tougher opponents relative to your limited resources. But it makes a bunch of other things easier, like the generous or disables turn limits and powering most enemies with village_gold rather than income so that taking and holding enemy villages chokes off their resources significantly (this is really important for any scenario where there are a lot of villages and the enemies have castles). For "wilderness" scenarios, the wild animals will attack each other as much as you and they generally single out the wounded, so if you keep your forces closer together and wound nearby weaker animals as bait, then the bigger monsters will attack you less often.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Has anyone managed to beat this campaign on Nightmare? I am only playing on Difficult, and some scenarios are really tough. From the code, it looks like Nightmare would be significantly harder.
Not without cheat mods. I mean I tried and I had to revert to the third level after multiple-tries of the last scenario.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Tharry

Post by Tharry »

I am trying to beat the campaign on hard, and I can't find out how to win on the last mission:
Spoiler:
Also in the mission "the ancestor", I didn't have music. It is normal?

Except that, it is a good campaign, and it is good to see a drake campaign.

I liked the progression :
Spoiler:
Attachments
WoF-Crosswind replay 20230304-215321.gz
(64.64 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
WoF-Crosswind replay 20230304-215249.gz
(67.43 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
name

Post by name »

Tharry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm I am trying to beat the campaign on hard, and I can't find out how to win on the last mission:
For the last mission, you might want to turn down the difficulty one level. You can do this using the "Change difficulty" checkbox when you load the first save game of the last mission. Currently there are two elite saurian magic caster units that are missing until the next update for this campaign, and without them the last mission is harder.

But in your replays it looks like you were doing well overall. You had a big income advantage while your opponent actually had negative income, and since there is no turn limit in this scenario you had time on your side to keep getting more gold and recruiting or recalling more forces. The main issues were that your heroes moved too far forward and got surrounded behind enemy lines, and your forces got spread too thin trying to fight in many parts of the map at once. Sometimes it is better to abandon some parts of the map temporarily, to concentrate your forces on killing just one group of enemies at a time.
Tharry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm I after to surrond Karron before he reach the keep, but even with the monsters from villages I am not fast enough, and then he attacks my troops and summon the elites burners.
If you want to capture Karron before he reaches the keep, you basically have to recall/recruit a lot of gliders, sky drakes and/or hurricane drakes in the first turn. Then in the second turn, have them go almost directly after Karron, barely avoiding his guards that start close to your castle. If they can surround Karron or get ahead of him and block his way to the keep, that gives you just enough time for your monsters which you get from the coastal villages to catch up to him and help fully surround him.

Basically focus everything you have on just slowing down Karron and surrounding him.
Tharry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm It seem that I have simply not enough elites( level 3) troups, while I in every other level I didn't even need to reccal half of my elites units.
Based on your replay, I would say it is more important that you recruit/recall the right types of units - how elite they are matters a lot less. Level 1 and 2 clashers are good at killing his elite gliders and burners if you keep recruiting them (remember you get 4x gold from each village in this scenario so you can get a lot of income every turn for a steady stream of fresh recruits).

You should try to avoid recalling your elite burner units early on, since they are not efficient at killing the drake units you fight in the beginning and they cost you a lot of upkeep.
Tharry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm Also in the mission "the ancestor", I didn't have music. It is normal?
It is normal. It is meant to be for "dramatic effect".
Spoiler:
Tharry

Post by Tharry »

name wrote: March 5th, 2023, 3:12 pm
If you want to capture Karron before he reaches the keep, you basically have to recall/recruit a lot of gliders, sky drakes and/or hurricane drakes in the first turn. Then in the second turn, have them go almost directly after Karron, barely avoiding his guards that start close to your castle. If they can surround Karron or get ahead of him and block his way to the keep, that gives you just enough time for your monsters which you get from the coastal villages to catch up to him and help fully surround him.

Basically focus everything you have on just slowing down Karron and surrounding him.

Thanks for the advice: I managed to beat Karron by surronding him with gliders and swamp creatures, before he reached the keep.

name wrote: March 5th, 2023, 3:12 pm It is normal. It is meant to be for "dramatic effect".
Considering what happens it makes sense.
Spoiler:
name

Post by name »

Spoiler:
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Translation and/or uniformity question: hidden to avoid minor spoiler to players :)
Spoiler:
name

Post by name »

Antro wrote: April 30th, 2023, 1:42 pm
Spoiler:
She is using Elvish season names (for Summer and Autumn) rather than the Human month names from the calendar in the encyclopedia. Presumably, the flavor text in wesnoth help is written by a human mage in Alduin or Weldyn. Someone highly but not fully knowledgeable about other races' cultures.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

name wrote: May 6th, 2023, 4:56 am She is using Elvish season names (for Summer and Autumn) rather than the Human month names from the calendar in the encyclopedia. Presumably, the flavor text in wesnoth help is written by a human mage in Alduin or Weldyn. Someone highly but not fully knowledgeable about other races' cultures.
Ok, clear and reasonable: I'll translate accordingly.

I would like to report about some more technical issues:
  1. There are a lot of warning about redefined macros in log, here and example

Code: Select all

20230506 12:37:02 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro TERRAIN_BASE_PLFB without explicit #undef at core/terrain-graphics/deprecated-base.cfg:9
        included from core/_main.cfg:15
        included from _main.cfg:18
    previously defined at core/terrain-graphics/base.cfg:8
        included from core/_main.cfg:15
        included from _main.cfg:18
    : someone suggested that it could be a "double inclusion" of _main.cfg file;
  2. On loading scenario 07_Harvest, the game crash with the following console output

/home/Sources/wesnoth/src/display.cpp:360: void display::set_team(std::size_t, bool): Assertion `teamindex < dc_->teams().size()' failed.
    The logs reports

20230506 12:37:04 error engine: invalid player number 1 #sides=0

If needed, I can provide you the full log. I compiled by myself the master branch of git repository ( i.e. 1.17.16+dev) on linux
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I believe the crash has already been fixed on master.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:19 pm I believe the crash has already been fixed on master.
I just sync the git master repository, rebuild and the issue it still present. My guess is that scenario 06x_Winds_of_Fate.cfg is not properly working. Since it is a dialogue scenario arguing for a missing "side", I tried a quick and dirty fix: just copied the [side] ... [/side] section from scenario 07_Harvest.cfg and saved: now it works... At least, no more #sides = 0 in logs...
name

Post by name »

Antro wrote: May 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:19 pm I believe the crash has already been fixed on master.
I just sync the git master repository, rebuild and the issue it still present. My guess is that scenario 06x_Winds_of_Fate.cfg is not properly working. Since it is a dialogue scenario arguing for a missing "side", I tried a quick and dirty fix: just copied the [side] ... [/side] section from scenario 07_Harvest.cfg and saved: now it works... At least, no more #sides = 0 in logs...
I just tested on version 1.17.17 and it seems this engine level problem is finally fixed (log file clean of error messages). You should no longer need to hack [side] tags into the pure dialogue scenarios of campaigns for them to run as they did before.
lobadzip

Post by lobadzip »

Hey, guys. Wondering if I should I be playing this in 1.17 or just get it as an add-on in 1.16, are there any major/minor differences lore or otherwise
name

Post by name »

lobadzip wrote: May 30th, 2023, 4:10 am Hey, guys. Wondering if I should I be playing this in 1.17 or just get it as an add-on in 1.16, are there any major/minor differences lore or otherwise
At the moment, both versions are mostly the same.