Trying my first scenario on 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jailer-Rodrgz

Trying my first scenario on 1.16

Post by Jailer-Rodrgz »

hello BfW colleagues, I wanted to know if you could help me in a scenario that I am developing since I had problems when testing it since I get the message "Failed to load scenario" so I wanted to see if you could update me on new functions since When I did a scenario in version 1.14 there were no problems, but now that I've done the same it seems there are errors, so if you could tell me what errors you find in this file I would really appreciate it (the file path is correct) :)
Attachments
01_Southport.cfg
this one
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Trying my first scenario on 1.16

Post by Pentarctagon »

Can you upload the whole campaign as a zip?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Jailer-Rodrgz wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:26 am hello BfW colleagues, I wanted to know if you could help me in a scenario that I am developing since I had problems when testing it since I get the message "Failed to load scenario" so I wanted to see if you could update me on new functions since When I did a scenario in version 1.14 there were no problems, but now that I've done the same it seems there are errors, so if you could tell me what errors you find in this file I would really appreciate it (the file path is correct) :)
Your unit type IDs are all lower case. These are case sensitive values so orcish warrior and Orcish Warrior are not the same unit.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Probably the biggest problem in the file is that the start and end tags are unbalanced:

Code: Select all

[objective]
                description=Defeat Renduck
                condition=win
               [filter]
                   side_enemy=yes
               [/filter]

[/objectives]
There are more issues too, but I would fix that one first before trying to fix anything else.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Please note, whenever your own scenario or campaign fails to load, you will receive a message with the bugs and the location (line) inside the source code.
You also have a log which shows you all the bugs that "the game" has found in your scenario.

This is usually located under: C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\my games\Wesnoth1.16\logs

You can than try to fix your scenario or add-on and restart the game (wesnoth), because your faulty add-on is still cached.
It is however faster and easier just to clear the cache of the game pressing F5. So you can stay inside the game, make fixes, try to start your campaign, when there is a new bug message you can just fix the next and press F5 again.

One of the easiest way to make a "new campaign" is working with an easy existing campaign and change it.
There are even several of this "campaign maker" add-ons for starters such as:

Campaign-How-To (A Simple Campaign) by: Anonymissimus, opensourcejunkie
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer