From Rocks and Blood - Troll Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sadaharu

Re: From Rocks and Blood - Troll Campaign

Post by Sadaharu »

Graziani wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 3:12 pmWoah you already finished it ^^
Yes, it's kinda hard to balance. It's a good idea to make appear the dwarves before the first group is destroyed. I need to test play few times before to update the campaign.
Yes, I already finished it! Rainy weekends happen.
Graziani wrote:They need to be protected in The lake of the Abyss and The Ghostly crevices, that's why I gave them a silver mark. Maybe should I remove it after those two scenarios ? Will think about it
I think you should, but this is an æsthetic consideration.
Graziani wrote:Yes, units that died because of canons and the collapsing floor cannot be recalled.
Which is as it should, but what I mean is they aren't listed as casualties for those scenarios. I lost one unit to a troll Grunserker in combat and that was noted; in that same scenario I lost one or two more units to cannon fire and those weren't added to the list of casualties filed under ‘statistics’.
Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: -An important one: ‘The lake of the abyss’ and ‘the ghostly crevices’ are supposed to take place simultaneously. So units recalled to one should NOT be available for recall in the other. They are separate armies! I think I recalled some units twice, as it happened. Specifically Grouamf follows Crolog into ‘The ghostly crevices’ and is not available in ‘The lake of the abyss’ and this separation should be made.
Actually I tried to, because everything that add storytelling is more than welcome, but I don't know how to split the recall list in two (it could be a solution), so I managed to make at least Grouamf and the main characters impossible to recall. If I understand how to do it, I will definitly do it ^^
The Legend of Wesmere mainline campaign features a division of the armies' recall lists but one of the two halves of the player's army just fights the other in a civil war.
For similar stuff, I know that revansurik in his Dragon trilogy and Iris/shadowm in her Invasion from the Unknown have fiddled with recall lists in their campaigns. I suppose you could ask them, but I don't know how available they are. Also doofus-01 in Bad Moon Rising, if I remember correctly.
Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: -The Troll Initiate (later Shaman) line seems to be overpowered. Alright, they are needed for the battles against the undead or flooding orcs which would be unwinnable otherwise, but sometimes I'm just watching dwarvish fighters getting burnt.
In the final battle I had 5 Fire Shamans, 3 Great Shamans and 1 Sorcerer and the dwarfs just couldn't bring them down because magical attacks negate even their cave/village defence stat.
It add complexity to what I already planning to do : I wanna add to FRaB an ice line and an fire line from the troll initiate (the former one would have an ice attack and an fire attack, and the player will have to choose between the two at lvl2).
So yes, I spoke about it with another player, those guys are really powerful and I already weaken them. I probably need to weaken them more
I'm not sure that there is enough time to develop the line with things as they are and it's already a lot of variability. I doubt how much functionality that could have *unless* you could make it work so that the player recruits random initiates but each initiate has a limited variability. It would be as in The Black Cross of Aleron, where the first unit is an Elvish Shaman which then diversifies into many differently types of units.
Graziani wrote:I really love these guys :D they get strong very quickly if they manage to survive. Do you think they also need balance ?
They are more or less balanced as they are, because
1) The variability between quick-strong-fearless-resilient already can make for a huge difference: by Lv. 3 there might be 10 HP or more difference between quick-fearless v. strong-resilient, but a fearless Berserker still fights better in daylight.
2) They *only* have Berserk attacks. So berserkers cannot ever be left alone in the vanguard because they can be picked off by any attackers. Just like Dwarvish berserkers. It's generally wise not to leave salients in Wesnoth, but a Berserker at the front is a weakened salient on its own.
Graziani wrote:Yes my french is introducing itself everywhere, and I have a TON of text in this campaign :lol: :lol: :lol:
I might be able to help with that.
Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: Regarding borrowing stuff from this campaign
1) At some point I'll try to look at the dwarves' cannon destroying tiles in ‘Mourbarak’, which reminds me of the defence cannons in Trinity (scenario: ‘Landing’) by doofus-01 and something between the two might be what I'm looking for for a tower defence scenario. But that's for what would be book 2 (or 3?) of the storyline and I'm doing a far more basic campaign just to get the hang of it. I have eight scenarios planned to see how it goes.
2) The troll stone-slinger and berserker units, and also the goblin archers, are things I might work into my campaign.
3) Thanks for the encouragement! The last time I attempted this we were still under a coronavirus lockdown and I just couldn't stand staring at a computer anymore.
4) What is your avatar from/for? Some of the characters for my (proposed) campaign are merfolk and it might help. For episode 2, but one can dream.
As I told you the other day, feel free to take everything you like from FRaB, and if you credit it, I would be very happy ^^

You are welcome for the encouragment, I took me many years to finish my two campaigns because of life issues, wes breaks, discouragement, too big project etc... FRaB was my first campaign and I was very ambitious, learning XML in the same time I was writing scenarios, forgotting how I did this or this, and then relearning... It was a very long and hard process, so I know how difficult it can be... But after, when it's done and online, seeing people giving feedback, reviewing your work, having fun on it, loving your characters and story, work in wich you putted so much love is... amazing.
Do your campaigns, even if it takes long time ^^

Oh, and my avatar is from my second campaign that I never released, and this character is the main one of it. I really love mermans and nagas.
Would love to finish it one day, I can see if I still have the sprites if you are interested
Going bit by bit:

Yes, I'll credit anything I use.

My own campaign is something that I started to plan in 2019 and in 2020 the coronavirus attacked so I slowed down to a halt.

The merfolk sprites… do check if you have the time whether you still have them, but that would be an æsthetic detail at this point: they will be at best for a storyline-only NPC that for now is a regular merman warrior. At least in Episode 1.
Who knows.
Graziani wrote: Thanks to you :)

I tried to give the feeling that you are really leading an army, that's why you have so many free units every scenario ^^

If ever you want to tell me more about the campaign, feel free I wanna read more :lol:

For example what did you think about the whole story, how hard was the scenario with nagas, what was the hardest and the easiest level etc...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your review, really ^^
I took notes from it and will continue to improve the campaign
:D
You're welcome!

I'll give you a general review later if I can, but specifically about the scenario with the nagas.
‘An unexpected enemy’ starts in a cave transformed by magic into some sort of indoors palace. That first part is hard because the demons are hard to destroy. But they can be tricked into following one passageway where Grouamf and the Lv.1 troops can take their attacks while the heavy trolls (especially Firag) go around the back and occupy the keep.
*Then* there is a battle against the eye-demon and its servants. It can be won with minimal losses after on realises that the one-eyed demon cannot respond well to being hit on the head with a big hammer.

Then there is a second battle. The battle with the nagas is far easier: I had 27 turns in which to just turtle up on shore and let them come at a mixture of Lv. 2 and Lv. 3 units. I think that this is how it should be because the Naga Empire wouldn't ever be calling demons' aid if it were strong enough to fight on its own, so it's just mopping up the remnants.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Sorry for late answer, I restarted playing the whole campaign and modifying stuff on the way :whistle:
Sadaharu wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:30 pm
Graziani wrote:They need to be protected in The lake of the Abyss and The Ghostly crevices, that's why I gave them a silver mark. Maybe should I remove it after those two scenarios ? Will think about it
I think you should, but this is an æsthetic consideration.
You right, there is no gameplay reason (and even in story) that they keep their laurels. Will delete it from S17. Speaking of these two guys, I think I will try to improve Lake of the Abyss (S15), at least aesthetically. Some enemies and even the way the lake disapear at the end can be way more improved.
Graziani wrote:Yes, units that died because of canons and the collapsing floor cannot be recalled.
Which is as it should, but what I mean is they aren't listed as casualties for those scenarios. I lost one unit to a troll Grunserker in combat and that was noted; in that same scenario I lost one or two more units to cannon fire and those weren't added to the list of casualties filed under ‘statistics’.
Aaaaah ok sorry didn't get it. Will change it, I took note, I will check how I can do that.
Sadaharu wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:30 pm The Legend of Wesmere mainline campaign features a division of the armies' recall lists but one of the two halves of the player's army just fights the other in a civil war.
For similar stuff, I know that revansurik in his Dragon trilogy and Iris/shadowm in her Invasion from the Unknown have fiddled with recall lists in their campaigns. I suppose you could ask them, but I don't know how available they are. Also doofus-01 in Bad Moon Rising, if I remember correctly.
I'm going to take a look at these campaign's code to learn more about it and, if it's possible, make a unique recall list after those two scenarios :hmm: but I guess it's possible ^^
Sadaharu wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:30 pm I'm not sure that there is enough time to develop the line with things as they are and it's already a lot of variability. I doubt how much functionality that could have *unless* you could make it work so that the player recruits random initiates but each initiate has a limited variability. It would be as in The Black Cross of Aleron, where the first unit is an Elvish Shaman which then diversifies into many differently types of units.
I really like the idea of the black cross of Aleron, thanks ! It can be very good.
As I'm writing those lines, I think it could take this form : first recruit, you get an fire initiate, second you have an ice initiate, and after it's looping back to fire. Or two fire initiates, then one ice... Do ice magic can suit UTBS universe ? Anyway, I really love the idea, probably much better than create a new unit.
I will just have to decide which path of magic Firag decided to follow :geek: but I do think that fire suits him
Sadaharu wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:30 pm They are more or less balanced as they are, because
1) The variability between quick-strong-fearless-resilient already can make for a huge difference: by Lv. 3 there might be 10 HP or more difference between quick-fearless v. strong-resilient, but a fearless Berserker still fights better in daylight.
2) They *only* have Berserk attacks. So berserkers cannot ever be left alone in the vanguard because they can be picked off by any attackers. Just like Dwarvish berserkers. It's generally wise not to leave salients in Wesnoth, but a Berserker at the front is a weakened salient on its own.
Thanks for this berserker line review, will not touch those guys :mrgreen:
Graziani wrote:Yes my french is introducing itself everywhere, and I have a TON of text in this campaign :lol: :lol: :lol:
I might be able to help with that.
Woah, thanks. If you are interested it would be very helpful for me. I'm replaying the whole campaign since few days to also correct all those dialogs. There is so much of them, I already in the past deleted a lot of them, but they need more to be corrected/polished than be cutted more in my opinion.
At the exception, maybe, of S11, some Troll Council scenarios, and surely here and there...
Where are you from ? ^_^
Sadaharu wrote:
My own campaign is something that I started to plan in 2019 and in 2020 the coronavirus attacked so I slowed down to a halt.
I worked very few on my campaigns at this time too... Too many things to handle IRL
Sadaharu wrote:
The merfolk sprites… do check if you have the time whether you still have them, but that would be an æsthetic detail at this point: they will be at best for a storyline-only NPC that for now is a regular merman warrior. At least in Episode 1.
Who knows.
Will check it, they are not on my computer, I will check my external HDD. I will need to find them one day anyway to finish this merman campaign I started ^^
Would be funny to find this guy in your storyline ^^
Sadaharu wrote:
You're welcome!

I'll give you a general review later if I can, but specifically about the scenario with the nagas.
‘An unexpected enemy’ starts in a cave transformed by magic into some sort of indoors palace. That first part is hard because the demons are hard to destroy. But they can be tricked into following one passageway where Grouamf and the Lv.1 troops can take their attacks while the heavy trolls (especially Firag) go around the back and occupy the keep.
*Then* there is a battle against the eye-demon and its servants. It can be won with minimal losses after on realises that the one-eyed demon cannot respond well to being hit on the head with a big hammer.

Then there is a second battle. The battle with the nagas is far easier: I had 27 turns in which to just turtle up on shore and let them come at a mixture of Lv. 2 and Lv. 3 units. I think that this is how it should be because the Naga Empire wouldn't ever be calling demons' aid if it were strong enough to fight on its own, so it's just mopping up the remnants.
Thanks again, I do really like to read you.
Yes, nagas are not meant to land fighting ^^
Sadaharu wrote:
It can be won with minimal losses after on realises that the one-eyed demon cannot respond well to being hit on the head with a big hammer.
There is no problem that can't be fixed with a good hammer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Graziani wrote: May 26th, 2023, 8:57 pmI'm going to take a look at these campaign's code to learn more about it and, if it's possible, make a unique recall list after those two scenarios :hmm: but I guess it's possible ^^
It's something that I know can be done, but I haven't learned yet *how*.
Graziani wrote:I really like the idea of the black cross of Aleron, thanks ! It can be very good.
As I'm writing those lines, I think it could take this form : first recruit, you get an fire initiate, second you have an ice initiate, and after it's looping back to fire. Or two fire initiates, then one ice... Do ice magic can suit UTBS universe ? Anyway, I really love the idea, probably much better than create a new unit.
I will just have to decide which path of magic Firag decided to follow :geek: but I do think that fire suits him
Well, in BCoA the traits are assigned at random.

Ice magic can always fit! Remember that you are the storyteller, too, so you are the ultimate arbiter of your storyline, but also in some campaigns of the UtBS line such as The Sojournings of Grog the trolls shaman line gets ice attacks.

Be careful, though, about balance. As with the Berserker line, it might be easier to tweak as little as possible.

Graziani wrote:Woah, thanks. If you are interested it would be very helpful for me. I'm replaying the whole campaign since few days to also correct all those dialogs. There is so much of them, I already in the past deleted a lot of them, but they need more to be corrected/polished than be cutted more in my opinion.
At the exception, maybe, of S11, some Troll Council scenarios, and surely here and there...
Where are you from ? ^_^
Send me a private message so as not to clutter the thread! This would make for very long posts.
Graziani wrote:Will check it, they are not on my computer, I will check my external HDD. I will need to find them one day anyway to finish this merman campaign I started ^^
Would be funny to find this guy in your storyline ^^
Who knows!

I myself am restoring my project from a backup from an earlier computer, so who knows.
Graziani wrote:There is no problem that can't be fixed with a good hammer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let us say, diplomatically, that a troll campaign is taking Astérix and Obélix to a videogame.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Hi, lot of life issues, took long to answer.
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Well, in BCoA the traits are assigned at random.

Ice magic can always fit! Remember that you are the storyteller, too, so you are the ultimate arbiter of your storyline, but also in some campaigns of the UtBS line such as The Sojournings of Grog the trolls shaman line gets ice attacks.

Be careful, though, about balance. As with the Berserker line, it might be easier to tweak as little as possible.
It's true that in Grog sojournings, they are using ice attacks. And... You right, I can decide what I want for my storyline ^^ thanks. I think I will use this random assignation from BCoA. And yes, I will try to not weak too much the troll initiate line as I don't want to destroy the balance of this campaign. You mentionned how useful they are to face demons and undeads, so I have to be careful when I will balance this line. Btw, I finaly didn't changed anything about the berserker line and I will not.
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Send me a private message so as not to clutter the thread! This would make for very long posts.
Ok I will. Thanks again ! I need a bit time to move on about my RL issues, but I will come back to FRaB soon.
Since our last post, I updated with a friend all story.txt, and those changes add a much more literary style (but I keep relatively short texts). Will show you it. It's not on servers yet as I want to work a bit more on it.
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Let us say, diplomatically, that a troll campaign is taking Astérix and Obélix to a videogame.
It's exactly that :lol: :lol:
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Well, in BCoA the traits are assigned at random.

It's true that in Grog sojournings, they are using ice attacks. And... You right, I can decide what I want for my storyline ^^ thanks. I think I will use this random assignation from BCoA. And yes, I will try to not weak too much the troll initiate line as I don't want to destroy the balance of this campaign. You mentionned how useful they are to face demons and undeads, so I have to be careful when I will balance this line. Btw, I finaly didn't changed anything about the berserker line and I will not.
Also remember that cold magic would be the natural counterpart of heat magic. Action and reaction, balance in nature, there's sure to be some philosophical/metaphysical spin you can put on it.
Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Send me a private message so as not to clutter the thread! This would make for very long posts.
Ok I will. Thanks again ! I need a bit time to move on about my RL issues, but I will come back to FRaB soon.
Since our last post, I updated with a friend all story.txt, and those changes add a much more literary style (but I keep relatively short texts). Will show you it. It's not on servers yet as I want to work a bit more on it.
Oh, sure! I'm supposed to get an email if I get new private messages.
Graziani wrote:
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Let us say, diplomatically, that a troll campaign is taking Astérix and Obélix to a videogame.
It's exactly that :lol: :lol:
The solution to life's problems? Push things or hit them on the head. Or throw a rock at them. If they're armoured, like dwarves or Roman legionnaries, just… punch them again?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
creatures . -> creatures.
stop warfare constantly -> stop the constant warfare
too narrow, -> too narrowminded,
monthes -> months
In combat -> To war

S2
To the fight -> To battle

You seem to be using and old format for notes.

S3
must be reasoned -> must be reasoned with / must be reasonable
suffer here -> fight here
clan !! -> clan!!

It doesn't make sense that they will no longer try to reason with the Goblins because a different clan is also at war with them. According to the intro, their own clan has been at war with the Goblins for ages as well.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 3:36 pm S1
creatures . -> creatures.
stop warfare constantly -> stop the constant warfare
too narrow, -> too narrowminded,
monthes -> months
In combat -> To war

S2
To the fight -> To battle

You seem to be using and old format for notes.

S3
must be reasoned -> must be reasoned with / must be reasonable

It doesn't make sense that they will no longer try to reason with the Goblins because a different clan is also at war with them. According to the intro, their own clan has been at war with the Goblins for ages as well.
Thanks Konrad2 for starting this campaign.
I will update those lines of dialogs. You will probably find a lot of them in this campaign :?
I have no idea about notes, gonna check it.
Interesting about S3, I will improve this part of the dialogs and the reasoning.
Can't wait to read more ^^

I have to do a massive update with all the feedback from Sadaharu and yours.
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am The solution to life's problems? Push things or hit them on the head. Or throw a rock at them. If they're armoured, like dwarves or Roman legionnaries, just… punch them again?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadaharu wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:41 am Oh, sure! I'm supposed to get an email if I get new private messages.
I didn't get enough time to work again on FRaB, but it will come. Thanks again. I did half of the next update.
I think I will update what I already done in the next days.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S4
As Crolog tribe -> As Crologs tribe
The text 'Thank you with all my heart...' commes with an 'OK' button? Why?
entire domains -> entire domain

Both S1 and S4, why are all the blue trolls enemies instead of allies?

S5
that dwarfs live -> that dwarves lived
Were they be ready -> Would they be willing
clan ? -> clan?

Btw Firag and Crolog both demand upkeep. ._. (This makes S5 very annoying.) (I'll be putting the campaign off till that's fixed.)

The first time Godug advances, he advances from lvl 2 to lvl 2.
Attachments
FRAB-Goblin neighbors replay 20230709-173408.gz
(23.74 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
FRAB-Trolls in great danger replay 20230710-090619.gz
(47.64 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Thanks, Konrad, I'll shamelessly rip off bear those in mind for my list of corrections whenever I get the script.
Graziani wrote:I think I will update what I already done in the next days.
Don't rush it on my account.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S5
friends ! -> friends!
I think you should show the keep you are supposed to use once you reach the dwarves.

can be friends -> could be friends
who we think -> wo we expect
Dalorian does only obeyed -> Dalorian only obeyed
fellow men -> fellow dwarves
It makes long time I hoped -> I've hoped for a long time
animals for your -> animals to your
already flowed -> already been shed

S6
Halt !Who's -> Halt! Who's
Godug ? -> Godug?
LOSE THE REASON -> LOSE ALL REASON

Liquidate -> Obliterate

Darlasan attacks any dwarf that gets into his range. That does not fit with the story.

I can't hear you -> I won't listen to you
I couldn't hear him anymore -> I couldn't stand to have to listen to him.
I am master -> I am a master

S7
to join Ostagar -> to reach Ostagar
strenght -> strength
the villager is lower -> the village is a bit further down
One another. -> Another one. / One more.
at first little stressed -> at first a little stressed

What you mean by congeners? I tried googling it, and it's apparently undersired elements in the brewing process..?

Peace ! -> Peace!
What ? -> What?
leave to their -> return to their

Darlasan also demands upkeep...

The only way to win seems to be to assassinate the Dragonguards. There are way too many dwarves, and since they all have a 70% chance to dodge on mountains, almost the only way would be to throw lots of mages at them. More mages pretty much everyone would have.
+ Dwarves move faster than trolls in the mountains, another disadvantage.
I noticed just now that I'm playing on 'normal'. I don't really want to know how many shooters there are on hard.

My yeti demands upkeep.

S8
didn't believe it -> don't believe it
descendants's motto -> forefathers motto
who lose your -> who lost his
TO ITS LOSS -> TO ITS DEMISE
yourselves ?! -> yourselves?!
now ! -> now!
over ! -> over!
Of one, -> For one,
of two, -> for two,
more , -> more,
TO THE BATTLE -> TO BATTLE
future ! -> future!
Darlasan ? -> Darlasan?
locked somewhere -> locked away somewhere
ennemy -> enemy

S9
again ! -> again!
survive ! -> survive!
and the attacks orcs -> and attacks by orcs

S10
invest in force -> invade in force
are incomes -> are coming

Due to all my leaders and important units (and the yeti) demanding upkeep, I start every scenario with negative income... In most scenarios I need at least 6 villages, just to stop losing gold.

S11
Why is there sun underground?
Damart demands upkeep...
Attachments
FRAB-On the road to Ostagar replay 20230818-105426.gz
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
FRAB-Dar Naal Peak replay 20230816-164007.gz
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
FRAB-The Dwarves replay 20230816-155524.gz
(39.11 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

1.7.4.9 updated and online

-Improved plot/dialogs - from S1 to S10
-The troll coucil is no longer enemy instead of being allied - S1,S4,S9
-Crolog tribe warriors join player recall list at the end of scenario. The player is getting notified of this - S3
-Corrected small bug - S8
-Kogue and Eirur are no longer Heroes (silver icon) after the scenarios where the player need them to win - S17 to S23
-Removed some bats and replaced them by other creatures - S5
-Skeletor have now some skeletons when he appears on the map - S8
-Added a scroll_to (castle the player is supposed to take)- S5

Huge thanks for reviewing, I corrected almost everything Sadaharu and you reported and I made a lot of stuff I wanted to add/modify since long time.

Buuuuuut I have still a lot to do ! ^^

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm S4'Thank you with all my heart...' commes with an 'OK' button? Why?
I don't have this button when I'm playing and I cannot find anything in the code that could make this button to appear ? I don't understand what's happening.

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm You seem to be using and old format for notes.
Probably, I started this campaign in 2013, I'm going to update this. Will check the wiki !

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm The first time Godug advances, he advances from lvl 2 to lvl 2.
Yes I have work to do on Firag and Godug. The stats are getting better each time they evolve, but there are two lvl 2. It will change :D

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm What you mean by congeners? I tried googling it, and it's apparently undersired elements in the brewing process..?
My french is everywhere :shock: it means, in french, people from the same specie. A dwarf is a congener of all dwarves. I replaced this word as it doesn't means at all the same thing in english :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm The only way to win seems to be to assassinate the Dragonguards. There are way too many dwarves, and since they all have a 70% chance to dodge on mountains, almost the only way would be to throw lots of mages at them. More mages pretty much everyone would have.
+ Dwarves move faster than trolls in the mountains, another disadvantage.
I noticed just now that I'm playing on 'normal'. I don't really want to know how many shooters there are on hard.
Sooooo I had many reviews about this scenario, and I will probably weaken the dwarf. I do really love the idea of the ambush, and the scenario will mostly remains as it is, but yes, dwarves are very numerous, surely too much. I wanted the player feel the power of Rallassam, but I went probably waaaay to far :mrgreen:

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm Why is there sun underground?
Damart demands upkeep...
It's because half of this map is located outside :)

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm Due to all my leaders and important units (and the yeti) demanding upkeep, I start every scenario with negative income... In most scenarios I need at least 6 villages, just to stop losing gold.
You mentioned it a lot, and I'm sorry. It's not supposed to be the case, of course.
The problem is that when I designed the campaign and the maps years ago I didn't have in mind that I could simply delete the upkeep of my main characters. And I balanced the whole campaign with this amount of gold.
It's in my objectives to balance the whole campaign, it will ask me several playtest because the player gold is going to change drastically. If I remove the upkeep right now you will be flooded with gold, and it will be way too easy to win (and I love hard campaigns :twisted: ).

I'm realizing how much it can be confusing because you mentioned it a lot.

I hope it will not be too disturbing for you, keep in mind that the campaign is balanced with this upkeep and normally you will end it without trouble ;)
So again, it's in my to-do-list, it will come but I need to take time to do it.

Konrad2 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm Darlasan attacks any dwarf that gets into his range. That does not fit with the story.
Concerning Darlasan attacking dwarves at S7, I don't know how to fix it. I tried to set his movement at 0, his max_moves to t0, to give him ai=guardian, but nothing works. And I'm sure the solution is super easy. I need to dig into the wiki

So what is gonna change for this campaign :

Plot :
-A total rewrite of the story.txt in a more literary style
-Will improve few points of plot in S4, S5 and S8
-Trolls will continue to speak poor language but other races dialogs will be improved
-Reduce the number of dialogs - whole campaign

Gameplay
-Rework the enitre gold balance, remove the upkeep cost of main characters
-Darlasan will not attack dwarves in S7
-Will reduce difficulty in S5 and S7
-Units that die because of events will be considered as casualties and will be in the concerned list
-Reworking gameplay/map for S5, S19 and S22 (totally functionable as it is but I just wanna improve it)

Units
-Will add an ice line for the troll sorcerer line (there will be ice and fire troll sorcerers)
-Will rework the evolution of Firag and Godug

Graphics
-Will fix a little graphical bug concerning Firag in one scenario (and only this one, strangely) when he attacks
-Will fix a little graphical problem concerning the lvl3 boulderlobber

Other
-Will fix a few log errors (depreciated messages) that were reported to me
-Will rename all scenarios and map before to port to the next WSN version
-Will update the notes (old format)
-Remove the ok button on S4 (Crolog)

:) Again thanks to you Sadaharu and Konrad2 and the others who reviewed this campaign. Thanks for playing, can't wait to read more ;)
Thanks also for posting replays (would love to see Rallassam battle replay) 8)
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Version 1.7.5.1 updated and online

-Improved dialogs - S5,S6,S7,S12
-Added/modified events to improve gameplay and plot - S10,S12
-Removed two bugs - S12
-Improved some shroud and fog tags - S14
-Modified map - S16
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Totally forgot to upload those.
I'll probably pause my playthrough for quite a while, because I'm not that much of a fan of the direction is takes at this point. :/
Spoiler:
Nonetheless, thanks for the campaign.
Attachments
FRAB-Rallassam replay 20230818-130537.gz
(126.78 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
FRAB-The Dark Chasm replay 20230818-135812.gz
(71.58 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
FRAB-Chaos at the northern gates replay 20230818-142346.gz
(69.6 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
FRAB-Mourbarak replay 20230818-150324.gz
(71.05 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Konrad2 wrote: August 21st, 2023, 10:43 pm Totally forgot to upload those.
I'll probably pause my playthrough for quite a while, because I'm not that much of a fan of the direction is takes at this point. :/
Spoiler:
Nonetheless, thanks for the campaign.
On which scenario did you stopped ?

Thanks for your feedback and replays, if you ever finish this campaign one day would be happy to read you! You helped me a lot with your reviews!
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

It seems odd that a Troll Leader isn't, you know, a LEADER

In S02 and S03, you have something like this

Code: Select all

[message]
type=Firag      
message= _ "It's not a refusal ..."
[/message]
I think you want id=Firag

S07 - well, that's just zero fun. First a couple yetis, which can kill almost any unit when they hit twice, as they almost always do. Then a million dwarves which show up right next to me? Thanks, but I'm done.
Last edited by white_haired_uncle on August 23rd, 2023, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.