Bonus Tile

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

moonrise

Bonus Tile

Post by moonrise »

What happened on the 17th? The add-on is unusable since then. Love it when it works!
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Bonus Tile

Post by vasya »

Hey, thanks for writing! I think I've fixed it. BTW, please feel free to contact me directly (here or "vasili" on Discord)

Cheers
moonrise

Post by moonrise »

Thanks so much. Keep up the good work!
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

Thanks again for reporting!
moonrise

Post by moonrise »

I have noticed that on the afterlife map the right side has to stand one hex above the labeled tile. The left side acts like you would expect. Is there any way to correct that behavior?
Thanks for your help.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Your add-on has a visual bug.

So, when I am playing Team Survival or any survival that shows the wave comp with map labels and this addon is ON, the wave composition labels are removed on turn refresh
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Thats intended. Labels are write-only. There is no way to know where labels are.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Ravana wrote: May 4th, 2023, 1:34 pm Thats intended. Labels are write-only. There is no way to know where labels are.
Saying a bug is intended is still a bug.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

So create bug report to remove labels from team survival.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

@Lord-Knightmare: there's been an increasing time pressure from work and personal life for me lately. I can relate to the problems, but I don't yet have the time to implement a solution.

If anyone would be interested in that, we could do the following:

- Create a proposal about the intended change. E.g. "have an option to remove labels" (but then I don't know how Bonus Tile would work without labels?..). Anyway, some proposal
- If we agree on the proposal, the interested person would have to code it.
- I'm ready to review, and if the code changes are small enough or well made, merge it in & release

Unfortunately, I cannot commit to more at the moment. Hope this makes sense for you, cheers!
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

BTW, if the labels are only remove occasionally, it could make sense for the other add-on that's generating them to keep re-adding them.. I know it's not nice, just thinking of alternatives here.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

vasya wrote: May 4th, 2023, 5:29 pm @Lord-Knightmare: there's been an increasing time pressure from work and personal life for me lately. I can relate to the problems, but I don't yet have the time to implement a solution.

If anyone would be interested in that, we could do the following:

- Create a proposal about the intended change. E.g. "have an option to remove labels" (but then I don't know how Bonus Tile would work without labels?..). Anyway, some proposal
- If we agree on the proposal, the interested person would have to code it.
- I'm ready to review, and if the code changes are small enough or well made, merge it in & release

Unfortunately, I cannot commit to more at the moment. Hope this makes sense for you, cheers!
Thank you for the more civilized response (compared to the other person who sounded very rude).

I inspected your BonusTile add-on code and have to remark that it is important to give some visual indicator on the location of the tile and what this bonus is. This would be a positive UX for the player. From the affected scenario side, this is a mainline multiplayer survival (not just other add-on), so I suppose you'd have to ask the MP dev for a patch on...such as maybe re-add the labels every turn (so players wont lose track on what enemy wave will be coming next). The general problem here is the positive UX of one is interfering with the positive UX of the other.

Another solution I'd propose is moving the wave comp labels to the objectives (for this particular case). There are just 7 labels maybe in Team Survival or so.
Another solution is just moving the label text from labels to overlay text on the game map such as what is shown in the Battle Training (tutorial).
Guess, it's just coming to a common solution is the step for now.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It also sounded rude to assume something is addon bug when there is nothing addon can do to solve it.

For better solution there would need to be API to read label data so addons could decide whether to replace label, edit text, or select different hex instead.