Scenario 8: Overlook

Feedback for the mainline campaign Winds of Fate.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 8: Overlook

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Telchin

Re: Scenario 8: Overlook

Post by Telchin »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.18.0, easiest difficulty (aspirant), with generous use of save/loading so my unit don't die.
Adding a numerical score might be misleading due to my abuse of autosaves mentioned above, but I found the challenge here inconsistent - the hardest part was the beginning with the Elvish (Out)riders, but then the ending was anticlimatic (see questions 3 and 4 below).
The basic concept of the scenario makes sense (though I have some ideas about the execution - see questions 5 and 6 below), but I was confused by the role of the lich at the end. We're introduced to an ancient lich who can apparently astral project (so killing him here wouldn't preclude his reappearance) and we're given an option of sparing him, so I expected him to return later in the campaign, but he didn't. Also there doesn't seem to be any incentive to kill him (except perhaps XP, but this campaign discourages recalling high level units by increasing their recall cost), so I called a truce and just moved my unit towards the exit.
The initial elvish riders. At first I thought I should escape from them into the cave, but they're fast enough to pursue and I was trapped between them and the undead. So I restarted, recalled a few of my promoted clashers and a Flameheart to lead them and made my stand in the initial castle. I admit I needed save/loaded to not lose any unit in this fight, but even without cheating it should be possisble, just with a couple of loses. The undead then were comparatively easy as they crumble to drakes' fire.
I think in this scenario the campaign gimmick of no time limits fight with the scenario idea. This is supposed to be a harrowing escape, where any belated units are left for dead, but you have unlimited turns to move your units to the exit without leaving anyone behind. I expected the pressure would come from more elvish pursuers appearing, but none did. I looked into the WML file and apparently they were going to, but on the easy difficulty the timer is so long that I finished the scenario earlier.
I suggest to replace the elvish riders with slower units (like Elvish Heros and Elder Woses) so it's possible to outrun them in the cave, but also spawn more earlier and repeatedly to make fighting them straight on less of an option. This way it would feel like an actual escape. Also either expand the role of Nova the lich or skip him entirely (see quetsion 3 above).
Sandsculpture

Re: Scenario 8: Overlook

Post by Sandsculpture »

1.18.0, Dominant (Hard), with biased RNG
Spoiler:
Finally got caught by 1 sylph, she kills the ancient lich in 1 shot, and 2 clasher units are left dead in the cave.
Clear.
Spoiler:
I don't know if there is possibility that 2+ sylphs spawn in a single trigger of the SCATTER_UNITS event. The scenario may be too hard with many sylphs spawns, given that she get heavily buffed in 1.18.
Replay:
WoF-Overlook 游戏录像 20240405-225553.gz
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times