Translators wanted to work on campaigns "Swamplings" and "Pax Romana"

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

demario

Translators wanted to work on campaigns "Swamplings" and "Pax Romana"

Post by demario »

Hi there, I need help to translate the stock campaign "Swamplings (stock 1.12)".

Stock campaigns are "abandoned" materials made available on the current add-on server in the same state as they are found.

How would it be useful to translate an abandoned campaign, would one ask?
Well, for different reasons:
  • as the stock campaign is available in a core, it will not require an update to be played in a new version of BFW. It will be ready to play as soon as the new core is out. So stock campaigns are more likely to be available in future versions of BFW together with the past translations.
  • the stock campaign doesn't need any change in its code to be playable in a core. No change in the code and no change in the messages, this means the translation is done once for all and it does not become obsolete due to changes in the add-on.
  • the stock campaign is using an en_US translation to fix the original strings shown in English (US). The original message will not be changed and the translated messages will stay valid.
For the English native speakers willing to help, you can either edit the en_US.po file to fix the original English grammar or typos (by using poedit like others translators). If you're not familiar with poedit and po files, you can also send the proposed changes in a text file, but I am then asking you to send a summary of all the changes after you are done with the campaign.

Please let me know if you are able to help! Thanks!
Attachments
wesnoth-Swamplings.pot.gz
Catalog of translatable messages for Swamplings v1.2.0d-i18n.2
(57.09 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by demario on April 17th, 2023, 2:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
"simply put, it's an old game"T — Cackfiend
demario

Translators wanted to work on the campaign "Swamplings"

Post by demario »

The campaign "Swamplings" is taken out of the add-on server for BFW 1.12 and is available on the 1.16 add-on server to play in the current version of wesnoth.

The version 1.2.0d-i18n.2 of the Swamplings campaign on the BFW 1.16 add-on server is containing the catalog of translatable messages after download in file Swamplings/translations/wesnoth-Swamplings/wesnoth-Swamplings.pot. The number of messages to translate is 1473 (sometimes containing several sentences). The campaign has great reviews and is a great fun to test.

I'll do a bad job at highlighting how reusable past translations are if I don't mention that we are getting some translations from the 1.12 add-on server in French, German and Russian. Here are the stats for these languages:
swamplings-translation-i18n.1.png
Last edited by demario on April 11th, 2023, 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Translators wanted to work on the campaign "Swamplings"

Post by Atreides »

This is intriguing. Using an English translation to correct typos, etc. in the original which can stay fixed eternally. Wish I'd thought of that for Pack Sapient which I ported and has several translations. I found some errors in the English I could not avoid changing (scenario instructions) and thus slightly damaged some of the translations. I fixed German myself but the rest I could not.

Anyways as regards this campaign I could only help with the typos and grammar for the English since it appears the German is 100% done.
demario

Translators wanted to work on the campaign "Pax Romana: The Rise of Vespasian"

Post by demario »

Hiromasa wrote: December 26th, 2022, 7:17 pm so I hoped the add-ons would handle the translation.
I have put a version 0.4.4-i18n.2 of "Pax Romana (stock 1.14)" on the add-on server for BFW 1.16.

This is a stock campaign with a corpus of 972 strings that is up for translation. The translation work is a bit harder as some dialogs are referring to old Latin titles and functions. The catalog file is available here.

The original English is not perfect and I have put the en_US po file through the spellchecker and fix what I could find. The changes are in fuzzy state and I hope an native speaker can validate the corrections. A second check for the non-fuzzy sentences would be very useful too. Much thanks to any volunteer! The file is in attachment.

I would encourage everyone to contribute and share their translation work (machine translation or else), without thinking too much about meeting a standard of the highest quality. Improvements can come later.

This is the current translation status for "Pax Romana (stock 1.14)"
pax_romana_translation.i18n.1.png
Attachments
en_US.po.gz
Compressed en_US translation with fuzzy to validate
(52.25 KiB) Downloaded 40 times