Edwylm's sprite alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Edwylm

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations

Post by Edwylm »

Amorphous wrote: December 15th, 2022, 5:22 am I wanna see some 100% from scratch Edwylm sprites too! I'm sure they'll look great and they'll increase your rate of improvement a ton.
i'd love to make 100% from scratch, but i am a bit out of practice and i have been split with hobbies namely working/writing my own fantasy world.
but speaking of 100% scratch i had enough inspiration to go back to a old concept. i find when i'm in the inspiration and not forcing something things tend to come out way better.
brown.png
brown.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
the last on the right is 100% scratch and still wip the idea is having armor plating running from the head down the spin to the tip of the tail.
i find lizardlike bodies easier than human.

small update to the unit with some shading and some other small details.
salamander.png
salamander.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

an updated versions with some changes, more shading, and making it a bit more smaller on the 2 on the right side.
differences.png
differences.png (15.48 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

i had some time to work on more units atleast the pose and trying to work something into inferno8 already existing salamanders (a third time trying lol).

ones i have created;
lvl0 young salamander, its pose is kinda like a baby but one could say its not yet used to living on land still.
lvl1 brown salamander, the legs are a bit off to me so advice would be helpful.
lvl2 black salamander its pose its a one that is a harder one to work with and i'm not satisfied.
lvl of the green salamander, the pose looks good i just have to work out where to place it on the level tree as it look more for a lvl 2
lvl of the blue salamander which i like the pose just not sure if it should be lvl 3 or 4. also missing a hand.

ones i need to make/ need poses are the missing spaces and most lvl 1 color variants.
salamanders updated.png

Just some ideas i had for some units are as fallows
lvl 4 white salamander would have one or both hand/s be covered in ice claws.
not sure if i want a arcane level path which is the top empty space.
lvl4 yellow salamander would have horns covering body
lvl2 yellow salamander having a hood and cloak/poncho covering most of the body. this would hide the arms and weapons. but it be different.

edited note i updated the lizards as something felt off about them added some scutes on the tail removed and re-positioned some spikes/scutes. additional i also changed the tail color to match a bit better to the body.
lizards updated.png
lizards updated.png (23.2 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

worked on crating a lvl 1 back salamander and a level 2 for the red salamander line, worked on the lvl 3 and 4 of the blue salamander.
salamanders updated.png
lvl3 blue salamander.png
lvl3 blue salamander.png (103.61 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
lvl 3 variations not sure if i wanted to use the body or should try creating a new pose.

lvl4 blue salamander.png
lvl4 blue salamander.png (82.08 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
heads are a bit different not sure what to aim for but i prefer the top line head style.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

These are looking really good!!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Thanks for the compliment means more from someone much more experienced and makes 10 times better art than myself.
doodles.png
doodles.png (82.46 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
These are some doodles I was doing as I had to get a new laptop. I have to get used to the smaller screen and more updated gimp version that feels much more complicated.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I made some updates to the lvl 4 blue salamander regarding the fin/sail giving it shades and not sure how well it will come out in the end. The sprite to the right I added some "claws" to its feet and hands I'm not 100% sure if i want it to have claws or not. On the other note I'm not sure if i should had more shades of color to its body my perspective it looks good as is.
lvl4 Blue salamander updated.png
lvl4 Blue salamander updated.png (22.56 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
edit note fixed the team color palate
watersalamander.png
watersalamander.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

In my doodling I have managed to draw a large lizard/land croc. Still have much work to do on it the feet feel off to me for the most part.
land croc.png
land croc.png (8.64 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Edwylm

Edwylm's sprites "saurian raptor rider"

Post by Edwylm »

I managed to work out a raptor and decided to add a saurian from the skirmisher's attack animation for testing on how a existing sprite would work regarding size.
rapto rider.png
rapto rider.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Edwylm

Edwylm's dino like raptors

Post by Edwylm »

wip dino raptor line

I got the feet and hands mostly down mainly working on the bodies and shape overall. I might try to create another "level" as the last one on the right feels more like a lvl 5 right now.

Afterwords i'm going to try to add their saurian riders but i'm unsure what weapons the riders should have.
Attachments
raptors.png
raptors.png (21.85 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Probably spears and javelins if they are saurians. They can also have a spear and a small shield.
Otherwise they could have maces or bows.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

An update to the creatures. Sprites for lvl 0 all the way to possible lvl 5 for those that love the idea of all the advancements.
Now above the line there are two versions which the only differences is the head design slightly. Below the line is more head and feet design differences, and I was playing around having head crests or possible feathers in the bottom right corner.

Lore wise the top 3 creatures are relatives of the more slender and swift creatures in the line below. The main difference is that the three being more brutish and grow larger being less agile. These creatures live in the jungle regions but can be found in other warm regions. I am not a good name maker so i'm not sure what they be called.

Concerning weapons for the mounted variants I can assume they will likely have a claw/bite attack which will be blade. I was considering giving the swift line possible blowpipe for a range attack to go with the melee claws. Could also give them spear/javelins too. The brutish line I could give them a mace for a little more varied attack.

Though I did just remember that ghype worked on the dunefolk and expanded the southlands so I think I'll probably theme them around his concept map
download/file.php?id=93564&mode=view
Attachments
raptors+variants.png
raptors+variants.png (111.31 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

These are great! I would try pushing the contrast a bit, I think you could stand to have brighter highlights. And maybe try adding some more scaly texture if you're feeling adventurous.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Amorphous wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:17 pm I would try pushing the contrast a bit, I think you could stand to have brighter highlights. And maybe try adding some more scaly texture if you're feeling adventurous.
I have been experimenting with some colors of blue, red and yellow but have been having a hard time working them in. trying to find a appropriate pattern is not working out to well. I Also have been wanting to change the top line colors to give them a more fierce appearance. As with scaly texture I'll see what I can do after finding color palates I like.

On another note while experimenting and fixing some parts on other creatures, here are some more stuff.
beast.png
beast.png (85.45 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
The top left 4 I was experimenting with beaks, tusks and head-frills

Bottom left I was working on fixing their feet and working with colors that might work better for desert environments.

Top right is a updated salamander lvl 3 but I have decided to make it into a creature much like the lvl 4 salamander. However one will not lvl up to the one below it.
Lore wise I was thinking of having it as more open water adapted creature giving its hands more flipper like appearance still able to move on land but not that good.

Lastly bottom right is a more finalize version of a creature that lurking in the great swamps and deltas, its hands are supposed to be webbed but idk how well to do that.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Nice, kinda Dinosaurish looking.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

yeah some came out to be very dino like but so far its not a bad thing I guess...

Did some more experimenting with colors as a result this is what I have gotten so far.

this is in my opinion the better outcomes of the doodles I made concerning color.
unit testing.png
unit testing.png (67.69 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
first lvl.PNG
sec lvl.PNG
third lvl.PNG

Lastly these were just some of the colors I was playing with.
color changes.png