Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Vyncyn's sprites

Post by Vyncyn »

Maybe I'm actually making another era, or at least a few more factions, at some point. It would be based more on real cultures and nations (with lots of historical inaccuracies) and less on mythical and magical creatures. I'm thinking about Aztec, African/Zulu, Egypt, Japanese and such.
Currently I have only few sprites and not much time to make any promises to actually finish one faction, but here are some more units I made:
An older sprite I made. Lvl 1 japanese samurai
An older sprite I made. Lvl 1 japanese samurai
samurai.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 12519 times
lvl 3 japanese rifleman
lvl 3 japanese rifleman
sodezu.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 12519 times
Elephant I made this past weekend. Could become Zulu elephant rider or tamer, or just a wild elephant.
Elephant I made this past weekend. Could become Zulu elephant rider or tamer, or just a wild elephant.
elephant.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 12519 times
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

A historical era.. Sounds good! What about Celts and/or Vikings?
Elephant is amazing! Samurai as well, but I think Samurai usually wear their blades edge up. They often wear an aditional short sword as well, but not necessarily, iirc.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Yes Vikings. Maybe Celtics, Native Americans, Inuits and other cultures too, but it really depends on how much time and motivation I can muster.
I think historically samurai were trained in lots of weapons, but I also have to consider balacing.
Edge up is a good idea. They still wouldn't hold it like that all the time though :D . In the sprite he is more in a "ready to draw the blade from the shaft, cut down my enemy and put it back before the sliced foe drops to the ground" pose.

Edit:
To avoid any misunderstandings:
- I do not currently have any concrete plan on making this era, just a loose idea
- I'm not sure IF I can actually finish any faction for this era, and WHEN I'll do so
- Number of units and factions would therefore depend on the time I spend on it
So this era is nothing you should expect in the near future. Maybe I'll finish the first few factions in autumn or winter, maybe earlier, maybe never; this is more of a "I do it when I feel like it" project (though I guess most UMC is).
SFault

Post by SFault »

The elephant looks great but the other side of the head is too dark. I think the legs look good. The ear is darker while it should be lighter. I mean, the body block light for the legs but the head is exposed.

Also, it quite brown now. Perhaps some bluish/gray would be more suitable?
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

SFault wrote:Also, it quite brown now. Perhaps some bluish/gray would be more suitable?
Naw. It's a outdoor elephant with lots of sand and dirt on his skin, not a fancy clean one.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Right...
After being busy since april I might have some more time for wesnoth again. Yay.
I've been reworking some sprites for my addon and planning for a bigger update. Maybe I even finish before the real 1.14 release.

Anyway. Since using the same pose over and over gets boring, but having to draw each unit from a scrath is quite a bother I've moved to using templates.
Basic idea is:
choose a unit/pose you like
draw in the location of torso, head and limbs with some colour
remove the rest
and you've got yourselve a template which you can use to create new units. Now you "just" gotta fill in the rest.
super duper tutorial.png
super duper tutorial.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 12127 times
Small (or larger) adjustments to the pose are often necessary and lead to a even larger variety of sprites.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

As mentioned in this topic the dunefolk might get a Roc added.
Because my current lvl3 roc for the mountain-faction is too big, I've made a smaller version (which will also become the new lvl2 roc in my add-on).
roc.png
roc.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 11690 times
roc-attack.png
roc-attack.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 11690 times
It need a bit more Anti-Aliasing and the proportions of the first image seem off. The second image could work as standing sprite though, so I might just throw the first one away.
Any suggestions to where I could add teamcolour?
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Maybe the team color could be on a sort of crest or small tuft of feathers, or in the wingtips?

Or a ribbon tied to one leg with the ends fluttering off.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote: March 31st, 2018, 2:52 pm The second image could work as standing sprite though, so I might just throw the first one away.
Maybe the first one could be used for a 1-frame movement animation? The leg position there feels quite aerodynamic, or maybe it's just me.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Bitron wrote: June 12th, 2017, 11:54 am A historical era.. Sounds good! What about Celts and/or Vikings?
I just finished a viking faction and currently working on publishing them. they even tried to be historically accurate balance wise...
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

've been working on graphic updates for my era. Problem is, I started working on so many, that it became demotivating trying to finish them all.

Since I started working on them again I managed to complete them one by one.

Still nearly 100 graphics left, but there's been progress
Luckily mainline has some amazing horses already, so I just have to fill in the human part
Luckily mainline has some amazing horses already, so I just have to fill in the human part
WIP.png (26.84 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Looking good, keep it up!
ChrundleTheGreat

Re: Short colour lesson

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

Vyncyn wrote: April 16th, 2017, 10:25 am I'm propably not telling anything new to veteran pixelartist, but since I've been experimenting a bit with colours in the last few days, I thought to share my findings.
Some of the newer mainline sprites (eg. Firedragon, mudcrawler, elvish outrider) use a lot of shades you (at first) wouldn't expect.
For example the Firedragon has purple and greenish hues, while the elvish armor consists of yellow and blue colours.
Additionally some shades can be used for very different surfaces.

Here I made a white dress with the same colours as the elvish armor (2 blueish shades, bright yellow and white)
fairy.png
The whole fairy is made out of only 12 colours (not counting magenta). Hair,skin,dress,shoes and staff reuse the same shades with various different effects.
hi! im making some umc, is it ok if i use your unit?(im new to the forums)
EDIT: im still planing on frankenstaining it, its just sort of the dress i need.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Short colour lesson

Post by Vyncyn »

hi! im making some umc, is it ok if i use your unit?(im new to the forums)
EDIT: im still planing on frankenstaining it, its just sort of the dress i need.
Yeah go ahead.
Lots of my units use some parts of other images too
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Vyncyn wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:39 pm Still nearly 100 graphics left, but there's been progress

WIP.png
Very nice looking sprites! Excited to see when they are finished :D