To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pho

Re: To Lands Unknown 3.7

Post by Pho »

This is what it says, thanks for the support everyone ^^
Attachments
TBFW_tlu_error.jpg
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Ok, so I've noticed a few things:

It looks like your user data directory is synced with OneDrive. Battle for Wesnoth and OneDrive don't "like" each other. This is known issue, which was described by Pentarctagon in 1.16.x release announcements: viewtopic.php?p=679040&hilit=onedrive#p679040
OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up, leading to all kinds of different manifestations of the issue. There’s no fix available yet. The recommendation for the time being is to avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive.
So I suggest you to reinstall Battle for Wesnoth once again and change the location of your user directory to something other than OneDrive.
I don't use OneDrive at all and the scenario runs just fine for me:
tlu-s16-log.jpg
Still, inspired by gnombat's idea, I've observed that there is indeed problem with sound effects in this scenario. The rain fx occasionally emits strange and creepy electronic ..."buzz"? :shock: Converting these sound effects from .wav to .ogg fixes the issue, so I'll probably do that for all TLU sound effects and release a small patch soon.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IceSandslash
Developer

Post by IceSandslash »

I've played a couple of runs of this campaign (one last year in Normal+Normal, the other one just now in Hard+Badass), building different armies. Very refreshing and novel. Great experience.

However, there has been a constant: many many carpet riders meet unfateful ends on the hands of Barbarians, Tharis and Destroyers. But I kept recruiting them because they have just so much utility. However, since they are basically expendable, the artifact from Ka-gatta, the golden carpet, is bound to be swiftly lost. Its bonus isn't even all that great either -more MP for a unit type which already has huge mobility and even skirmisher. In order to make the artifact actually useful, I suggest reworking it so that it grants the "hit and run" special instead.

From another angle, it's weird that I kept sacrificing humans, given that from a faction design perspective it should be clear that abyssal summons should be sacrificed instead. And that brings me to my other point: the Summon skill has little use. Not only does it restrict the Lv1 summoned unit's movements first turn, but it also prevents the Lv3 summoner from doing anything else. The low cost of summoning vs recruiting is not convincing enough. The result is that I found convenient to summon the grand total of 2 rhamis in one gameplay and 1 water elemental in the most recent one. To fix this:

First and foremost, (1) any summoned unit should be able to move and attack from the get-go. In addition, since the common case is summoning weak Lv1 units, (2) the summoner should also be able to move. I think the only case for summoning Lv2 units is when Rasti becomes Lv5? That's fair as well. However, if the summoner moves and the summoned unit is able to move as well, that adds up. Therefore, if (2) were also to be implemented, a restriction should be kept in place, so that if the summoner moves, the summons won't be able to move/attack the same turn, and vice versa. It's also a given that summoning should still prevent the summoner from attacking.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

Where can I get the po file of the spanish translation? I would like to complete the translation, but without having to start from scratch.

EDIT:I already got it. We are two people translating. Very good quality this campaign, certainly exploits Wesnoth to the fullest.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> Very good quality this campaign, certainly exploits Wesnoth to the fullest.

Indeed. It kind of pushed the frontier here.

I wonder if we can one day create a campaign that even beats TLU quality-wise. :)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> The low cost of summoning vs recruiting is not convincing enough.

It can still be helpful, e. g. when you can not recruit anymore. I used that
in the scenario where you are attacked from all sides, so I could place
some more fodder units to distract and delay.

Actually I think the biggest benefit for the high level summoners is the
circle as such. Otherwise I tend to prefer the banisher, it just seems
more useful.

> First and foremost, (1) any summoned unit should be able to move and attack
> from the get-go.

Regular recruits tend to take one turn before they can be used, so that
would be in sync with that. Perhaps a new ability could be added to
some summons, like a small phoenix bird that can attack the moment
it is summoned and is weak but fast.
IceSandslash
Developer

Post by IceSandslash »

Bug: Meditation doesn't seem to award any XP after Mehir is promoted (it worked in S06; broken in S08).
Attachments
ETI-Cañón de fuego.gz
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
ETI-Ka-gatta.gz
(21.22 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

It might just be me, but every time I finish a scenario it comes up with a error message, waits half a minute before ending? The error message is something like "end of scenario not found", and im playing on badass mode.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: To Lands Unknown 3.8 - a huge update!

Post by inferno8 »

To Lands Unknown 3.8 "IceSandslash" has been released!
tlu-3.8-promo.jpg
tlu-3.8-promo.jpg (122.9 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

This is a huge update featuring ground-breaking gameplay changes including a new recall cost calculation method, lifted Jinn ban in all scenarios, greatly optimized AI performance, 12 new AMLAs for main characters, tons of code improvements, bugfixes, better visuals and 100% Spanish translation! Be ready to immerse yourself in a brand new experience!

I'd like to thank IceSandslash, who implemented most of the features mentioned above (hence the name of the update). Cooperating with you was great! :D

Note: TLU 3.8 requires the latest Era of Magic 4.1 and To Lands Unknown Resources 1 & 2.
Note2: TLU 3.8 is available for both stable and development versions of the game (1.16/1.17) but hasn't been thoroughly tested on 1.17, so if you encounter a bug, let me know!

So what exactly has changed in 3.8?

Recall cost
In previous versions recalling a unit costed 20g, which made recalling low level cheap units completely not worth it. In 3.8 this has been completely changed. Recall costs of all units are now recalculated using a special formula which takes a unit's base cost into account. This means some units are now cheaper to recall but some others are more expensive. The new calculation method alone completely reshapes TLU gameplay by introducing new tactical challenges and gold management. Below is an example of modified recall costs:
tlu-3.8-recallcost.jpg

Lifted Jinn ban
It is now possible to keep Jinn of all types between all scenarios. This means the infamous Jinn ban is now gone forever. Originally it was implemented to prevent players from abusing these powerful units, but thanks to the new recall cost modification suggested by IceSandslash, it is finally possible to use Jinn even in early-game. Jinn are fast, powerful flying units with regeneration and deadly magical attacks capable of draining opponents' health. But while incredibly useful, they are very expensive to maintain and require constant supplies of books to keep them entertained. This means recalling Jinn in scenarios will be very costly. Keep that in mind!
Note: you will need a Neutral Summoner to summon a Jinni in early-game, because recruiting these unique units is only possible in late-game (this hasn't changed).

New Jinn advice
Jinn in TLU are capable of foreseeing the future allowing Mehir, the main protagonist, to avoid bad decisions and get the upper hand on a battlefield. Because it is now possible to acquire a Jinni very early in the campaign, 7 new Jinn advice have been added in 3.8. One of them can completely change the course of action in one of the most iconic scenarios, so be sure to invest lots of XP in your Jinn as it will certainly pay off. ;)
tlu-3.8-jinnadvice.jpg

Fast AI
TLU used to have a tendency to lag in some specific scenarios. This is (hopefully) a thing of the past. Thanks to the implementation of Fast AI many calculations have been greatly optimized boosting performance to a point the lag is now almost non-existent! Together with IceSandslash we worked hard to ensure that AI is still deadly, so don't expect lowered difficulty.

New AMLAs
As previously mentioned, there are many new AMLAs for both Mehir and Rashti. All were designed and implemented by IceSandslash.
Let's talk about Rashti first. Her new AMLAs are: 'strength', 'magic', 'intellect', 'sadism' and 'majesty'. The last two are especially interesting, because they reflect her dual nature in a very interesting way. 'Sadism' allows Rashti to deal more damage to enemies below 40% HP. 'Majesty' on the other hand, makes Rashti opponents retaliate with one less strike.
Mehir's new AMLAs are: 'jinn philosophy', 'fast summon', 'veteran summons', 'give to the poor', 'take from the rich', 'doom scrolling' and 'synchronization'. The first one is an upgraded version of good ol' meditation. 'Fast Summon' is self-explanatory - Mehir will lose only 1 MP when summoning but still won't be able to attack after that (this AMLA is also available for regular lvl3 summoners!). 'Veteran summons' grants free starting XP for summoned units. 'Doom scrolling' and 'synchronization' improve Mehir's magical attacks like the scroll and later his circle of destruction. Both 'Give to the poor' and 'take from the rich' AMLAs give some gold after defeating nearby enemies. Since high level units are more expensive to recall these two AMLAs might be especially useful to some players.
tlu-3.8-rashtiamla.jpg

Translations
TLU 3.8 comes with 100% Spanish translation by IceSandslash (reviewed by Toranks) - thank you guys! Also, the add-on is now shipped with partially translated .po files for 8 languages. I'd like to thank egallager for making it possible. :)

Improved multihex terrain
Scenarios 2 and 16 has got new map visuals. The Central Palace's interior now looks very detailed and rich, while mountains near Saffaros properly blend with the regular tiles.

The development of TLU is nearing its completion. I am planning an alternative badass mode ending for 3.9/4.0, then I'll think about new content. The future looks promising, so be sure to keep an eye out! ;)

To Lands Unknown 3.8 changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 3.8

- General
	* implemented a new recall cost calculation method (some units are now cheaper to recall but some others are more expensive)
	* it is now possible to keep Jinn in all scenarios
	* implemented new Jinn advice for S06, S08, S09, S10, S12, S15, S16
	* enabled Fast AI to greatly increase performance in S04, S12, S16, S17, S22, S23
	* added more scenario music to S06, S10, S19
	* minor story tweaks

- Graphics
	* overhauled multihex terrain visuals for S02 and S16

- Items
	* Amulet of Metamorph: modified HP refill behavior (on activation if HP is higher than maximum, it is reduced. If it is lower, the owner keeps the same HP); fixed a bug where an elemental was stuck after being transformed into a non-flying elemental on chasm tiles
	* Golden Carpet: now grants 'hit and run +2' and +10% terrain defense bonus

- Units & Abilities
	* allowed Last Summoner to summon elementals
	* 'ultimate circle' no longer stacks with 'circle of resistance' and 'magic absorb'

- AMLAs
	* new AMLAs for Mehir: 'jinn philosophy', 'fast summon', 'veteran summons', 'give to the poor', 'take from the rich', 'doom scrolling', 'synchronization'
	* new AMLAs for Rashti: 'strength', 'magic', 'intellect', 'sadism', 'majesty'
	* refactored and optimized Mehir's AMLAs
	* fixed Mehir's meditation AMLA not working if Grand Summoner or higher
	* new AMLA for lvl3 Summoners: 'fast summon'

- Scenarios
	> scenario 00 - Prologue:
		* improved the badass mode description
	> scenario 01 - Highiest Tiers:
		* eliminating all enemies automatically results in victory
		* there are less reinforcements in Hard difficulty
	> scenario 02 - Central Palace:
		* the whole scenario uses the 'cutscene minimal' theme now
	> scenario 03 - Near the Jungle:
		* lowered incidence of quick lizards in Easy/Normal
		* added a note about healing properties of oasis tiles (Easy and Normal difficulty only)
		* completely overhauled the palace interior
	> scenario 04 - Southern Nations:
		* summoning Fire Elementals also results in defeat
		* fixed incorrect placement of Rhaxis' air reinforcements
	> scenario 06 - Fire Canyon
		* fixed a bug where Saurians were teleported back to the cage
		* fixed a rare case of Goblin leader being the last survivor when Mehir reaches the camp
		* on Easy difficulty the lizards are fully healed and the bridge defender is absent
	> scenario 07 - Dome of Elements:
		* improved some dialogs
		* Mehir's moves replenish right after promotion
	> scenario 08 - Ka-gatta:
		* changed the look of Banishment Staff on the map
		* changed the sound of stone bridge collapsing to cave-in.ogg
		* fixed some syntax issues
		* improved AI: bats focus on player troops more; Earth Elementals prefer advantageous terrain
	> scenario 10 - Chaos:
		* it is now possible to manually open the portal under certain cirmustances, which leads to an alternative scenario progression
		* added an animation showing the destruction of barricades and tents near the exit
		* assigned ownership of one of starting tents to player
		* on Easy difficulty the Shadowmage avoids using its range attack on offense
	> scenario 12 - Siege of Mag-Magar:
		* improved some dialogs
		* fixed some dialog issues in cases where Living Gate successfully elimanted enemy leaders
		* added the 3rd well to the map
		* fixed allegiance of casualties in statistics being not correctly tracked
	> scenario 14 - Tar-Tabar:
		* it is now possible to skip the lecture, if Mehir already has practical knowledge of the subject
		* Semir spawns with Banishment Staff if the player has not taken it in S08
	> scenario 15 - Abyssal Rebellion:
		* fixed a bug where an error message was displayed in cases where there were not enough captured units present on the map
		* adjusted starting gold and income on Easy difficulty
		* improved some dialogs
		* some tips are not available on Hard difficulty
		* it is now possible to undo recall of recently unlocked Grand Summoners, but not those upgraded to Summons Masters
	> scenario 16 - Defense of Saffaros:
		* adjusted starting gold, income and turn limit on all difficulties
		* new villages control gameplay and objective
		* changed starting castle's layout
		* improved AI
		* changed Hydras' spawn algorithm
		* changed scenario starting time
		* made mountains unwalkable instead of impassable
		* improved the look of the mountains
	> scenario 17 - Siege of Kharos:
		* adjusted turn limit and income on all difficulties
		* fixed undo exploit
	> scenario 19 - Sky Kingdom:
		* moved a tip about Dimensional Gates advancement from S17 to S19; modified starting gold and income; changed carryover percentage from 40 to 5
		* improved AI of enemy Cosmic Eyes
	> scenario 20 - Enlightenment:
		* fixed Um-Mu duo standing animation
	> scenario 22 - North Pole:
		* improved handling of various unit cases in MP/defense update
	> scenario 23 - Ruins:
		* allies now avoid glyphs locations
		* removed unused heat level macro
		* vastly improved and optimized code responsible for the fire elemental limit in the scenario (now it also accounts for collar, metamorph and summoning in heat restriction)
		* the door to the reactor room can now be triggered by recalling next to it
		* recalling summoners can now almost always be undone
		* fixed infinite summoning exploit on turn 1

- Code
	* removed parts of dialog which refered events happening exclusively in the other campaign mode
	* restructured the translations subdirectory
	* added msgmerege_pofiles.sh to handle .po files
	* added _server.ign
	* moved Mehir's auras events to main-macros.cfg
	* improved the 'magical scimitar' description
	* added pre collar, post collar events
	* removed redundant error-prone WML from Kamikaze Drone
	* added macro for dimensional gates paid leveling available in S22 and S23
	* optimized Rashti's split and unification events
	* switched to 'invulnerable' instead of FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT in S01, S03 and S17
	* improved Banishment Staff description
	* implemented 'player_banished_creature' and 'player_advanced_dg' special variables
	* added True Rashti missing gender (#81)
	* improved RECALL_RASHTI code to ensure she is in the right state if the scenario is skipped with :n
	* properly used the 'flying' attribute
	* fixed all wmllint errors
	* properly named Last Summoner's summon menu ids
	* replaced old healing/regeneration abilities in various units with new ones introduced in EoMa 3.12
	* updated about.cfg

- Misc
	* converted most .wav files to .ogg

- Translations
	* included .po files with partial translations for 8 languages
	* updated the translation template file and all .po files
	* updated the Polish translation (100%)
	* updated the Spanish translation (100%)
	* updated translators_readme.txt
Creator of Era of Magic

totaltec

Post by totaltec »

I'm a certified newbie, but I wanted to say a huge thank you for this amazing campaign. Also, while I may not be doing something right, I am having issues with the teleport pads in the Sky Kingdom. I'm running on Windows and playing through Steam. Also tried on my Iphone and had the same issue. I walk on the pads and nothing happens. Am I missing something obvious or is it a bug?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Perhaps add moveto with forced teleport in case unit stops at location while having enough mp for another movement and empty destination location.

I remember people not noticing they need to move past the tile.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

totaltec wrote: July 7th, 2023, 12:30 am I'm a certified newbie, but I wanted to say a huge thank you for this amazing campaign. Also, while I may not be doing something right, I am having issues with the teleport pads in the Sky Kingdom. I'm running on Windows and playing through Steam. Also tried on my Iphone and had the same issue. I walk on the pads and nothing happens. Am I missing something obvious or is it a bug?
IIRC, you need to select the location that you want to go to. So instead of the local pad, try to move to a tile next to the remote pad. You'll know which pad the local pad is connected to because you can select to move there, while you won't be able to reach tiles next to other pads.

At least, that's the way I remember it. I know this is necessary in other UMC, and I never was able to figure it out for myself.
totaltec

Post by totaltec »

Ravana wrote: July 7th, 2023, 1:07 am I remember people not noticing they need to move past the tile.
Omg that is what what my problem is! Thank you!

Really appreciate both replies. I was stuck due to this simple thing.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Ravana wrote: July 7th, 2023, 1:07 am Perhaps add moveto with forced teleport in case unit stops at location while having enough mp for another movement and empty destination location.
Yup, that sounds like a good idea. The current implementation is misleading + the narrator's note at line 501 is also unclear:
"Use teleporting circles to move your troops across the map (they work similarly to the 'teleport' ability). (...)"

Adding the moveto event suggested by Ravana should solve the issue here.
Creator of Era of Magic

Gryfonides

Post by Gryfonides »

Hi! I really love the campaign and the era, great work!

I have finished the campiagn on default mode a month back, I was wondering how big of a difference in missions and story does 'badass mode' add, whatever it's worth another playthrough this soon or should I wait more.