The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Remellion

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 9 - Fallen Lich Point

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6/10 going for the Lich first.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Somewhat clear. "Kill the lich" - well, he's already a statue, can't kill him unless he miraculously comes back to life, right? And where is the sewer entrance? The cave thing next to the signpost? Let's just kill the leaders, I can understand that.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Haldric starts seeming slightly scatterbrained from this scenario onwards, and Jessene drives the plot and group forward.
Also, love that "Oh my!"
I had no issue with the "Get over here" from Jessene, it was clear to me (in context) that she was referring to whichever unit approached the obelisk.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Figuring out what to do with the obelisk, the lich, and the sewers. Also snow. It's been two scenarios since we've had unfavourable terrain, better bring it back now. It was a good touch to let the player decide when to trigger the lich's revival though, it makes it less of a tomato surprise and gives the player a chance to set up. (I mean, one can already guess that the undead statues are going to come back to (un)life, but still a nice gesture.)

The other big RNG element is the Yetis. If things had been different up north, I could see the second part of the scenario becoming much harder. In my run, the Yetis did a number on the northwest orcs, and good RNG saw one survive quite a while at the crossroads, stalling the northeast orcs.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7/10 - and somewhat dependent on how well the Yetis do. The trek up north after killing the lich was long.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Not sure really.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen Lich Point replay 20210625-163834.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(56.58 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.0, Lord (Difficult)

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

Not feeding into the orcs.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-Fallen Lich Point replay 20211109-003604.gz
(44.93 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate

(2) 4. Mostly depends on the Yeti action though.

(3) clear

(4) Quite good. Yetis could be funnier though.

(5) Avoiding pursuing the enemy too recklessly.

(6) 6 - Quite original. A bit disappointing by being too easy by just waiting out for the right moment to strike.

(7) The Lich is too easy to kill since you can just wait until everybody is in position. Maybe make at least two hexes away from its castle unpassable until the lever is activated ?
Also, have a reason to attack the orcs before the Yetis are dead, like maybe a loyal unit to rescue in the northwest ?
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Difficulty: Lord Version: 1.17.22

Quite clear.

9/10.

-

7/10 Very good. I liked the yetis but they wrecked havoc on the nearby orc leader.

Give the orc leaders (or at least the one nearest to the yetis) some lvl 2 or 3 bodyguards to make the scenario a bit harder. Make the lich activate itself after a couple of turns (maybe because he can sense the ruby nearby) to make it a bit harder.