The Rise of Wesnoth 15 - A New Land

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

markd81

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 15 - A New Land

Post by markd81 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Blends in well with the rest of the story.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not getting anyone killed in order to get as much gold as possible.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I always prefer defeating the enemy.
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

?/10. It's hard to say what constitutes success here. I was kind of perplexed as to how to approach it, actually.

Perfectly clear. Just very different from the usual.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
"We come in-" "Get them!" Great welcome. We arrive in a whole fleet and look like an invasion force, fair enough. Poor Haldric just really wanted to give his speech, that's all. Also, hey look, it's the Bay of Pearls but in old times. Nice touch.
I really like the dialogue of all the different characters from this point, they have personality, we've been through a lot with them, and I want to find out what happens to them here. In this scenario, and in The Ka'lian and A Spy in the Woods, all parties are characterised nicely.
Another related point to mention here: Lady Dionli's sprite, and the other elvish leaders in the Ka'lian, are beautiful. It sets them apart from the regular elvish units we're used to seeing.

Understanding how to approach the scenario. I have no idea and just ended it on turn 9. Coming back to it another time, I would probably get more rangers and master bowmen for deterrence purposes (retaliation at both ranges), and hole up in a ball in the forest.
Also, Lord Typhon departs? Whoops. Oh well, we can work around that.

?/10. I'm really not sure what to say, it's different enough that it confuses me. Not a bad thing.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-A New Land replay 20210628-113938.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

1, since it is pretty hard to actually lose. Also, doing somewhat well isn't that hard either.

Clear.

Clear.

Not getting greedy, sticking to defending instead of attacking.

6, because it's different.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Ka’lian replay 20211125-091709.gz
(36.85 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
TRoW-A New Land replay 20211121-122942.gz
(53.68 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate

(2) ???? Not losing is easy but surviving for more than 15 turns is not. I guess I ultimately failed...

(3) Relatively clear, actually, though surprising.

(4) Quite good though the beginning dialog is cliché.

(5) Not having any important unit die while not killing anyone. I guess that I chose the wrong roster of units ? I ddin't have any javelineer...

(6) 2 - The idea is good but the implementation is lacking.

(7) Difficult to say. Maybe some swamp hexes south of the castle to help putting netcasters there ? Or changing the rules to make the opponent more wary of reckless attacks (i.e, if they can be one-shotted, they flee) ? With some dialog with surprise at this new threat, it could fit I guess.
Also, warn the player at the beginning and not at the end that it's the last time they can recruit mermen because Lord Tryphon will not continue the journey with them.