Eastern Invasion, Revised (1.17) - Looking for Playtesters!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Eastern Invasion, Revised (1.17) - Looking for Playtesters!

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

</b>nightskirmish</b>

an extra / on the first
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

SexyPringles wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 8:05 pm Hello again, forgot to mention this typo too in one of your items:

Also, is there something wrong with some of the achievements? Scenario 15, 18a and 18b didn't give me the achievement completed even if I did them successfully. I took a quick peek at scenario 15 file and it seems to have scenario 14 achievement there but not sure about the other two.
Thanks for letting me know about those issues! Should all be fixed in the next patch (a week or 2 from now); please feel free to debug yourself those achievements :)
name

Post by name »

I very much enjoyed the development of Dacyn's character, with the interplay between him versus Owaec, and the looming question of whether he shall share the same fate as Ravanal in the end. There is a lot of creativity in the scenario designs. Each one delivers a unique experience in several ways. Likewise the characters have a lot of personality, with even the single-scenario-characters having fun and memorable quirks.

It is excellent that your units can drop items for others to pick up. This is such a huge convenience to be able to manage which units get which objects after they have been retrieved. We should start adopting this for all mainline campaigns.

Do you think maybe mermish fighters could be made recruit-able at some point in the campaign to complete the loyalist faction? They are the only one missing from the roster.

I was a bit unsure about how to handle the carryover dependence during the northlands arc. There was no way to tell how much gold to save for later scenarios, so I had to make some blind guesses. Also it would have been nice to see the orcs in a weaker state due to the formation of the knalgan alliance a century earlier (during NR), along with the dwarves, humans and drakes having become the main power in the north. Which would better set up the orcs starting to get pushed to the northern ocean some centuries later (during SotBE).

Detailed impressions:
Spoiler:

Replays:
replays.zip
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Thanks for playing and leaving a review! I love to hear feedback, and your replays were very enjoyable to watch (as well as helping me tweak a couple events). I'm very glad you liked the campaign!
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am It is excellent that your units can drop items for others to pick up.
This took forever to set up, so I'm glad you like it!
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am Do you think maybe mermish fighters could be made recruit-able at some point in the campaign to complete the loyalist faction? They are the only one missing from the roster.
It's an interesting idea, but I think I prefer the "purity" of a humans-only recruit list. Sorry :(
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am it would have been nice to see the orcs in a weaker state due to the formation of the knalgan alliance a century earlier (during NR), along with the dwarves, humans and drakes having become the main power in the north.
Good idea! I'll see about making some dialogue changes to reflect that; maybe they were pushed out east because of conflict with the alliance.
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am It may have a bug though; springing the trap more than once does not open additional prison doors but it triggers the same set of dialogue.
Oops, thanks for letting me know. I'll fix that.
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am Maybe there could be a few more pathways through the urban terrain for cavalry to move through?
Good thought, but it's deliberate - cities are cramped places, so I didn't want them to feel strong for cavalry.
name wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:31 am You could probably even have them return in level 2 form before returning as a level 1.
They do on hard :twisted:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Version 2.3.0 Announcement

Wahoo! 60MiB of files and over 30,000 lines of WML later, I'm proud to announce the final (please let it be the final) version of Eastern Invasion, Revised! Thanks to everyone who's helped with feedback and testing, and I'm looking forward to hearing opinions on this new version.

Version v2.3.0 includes:
- story art for all scenarios!
- a new recruitable loyal in S04a Elven Interlude, complete with dialogue and unique events!
- big rework to 14_Drowned_Plains!
undead leaders (now new custom units) are idle until spotted, but then awaken ambushers in a large area
ambushers now awaken several other nearby ambushers when spotted.
wandering ghosts try to steal your villages, and have sad messages when you kill them
- Mal-Ravanal's Terror ability now covers a 2-hex radius, and has a visual aura
- buffs to Hahid's elixirs, and Dunefolk now have the "mercenary" trait (+damage while gold>0, -damage when gold<=0)
- added "time over" cutscenes to scenarios that lacked them
- and much more!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Some replays and statistics. :)

Statistics:
S1
Spoiler:
S2
Spoiler:
S3 (path a)
Spoiler:
Attachments
EI-Eastern Invasion replay 20230330-121115.gz
(42.4 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
EI-The Escape Tunnel replay 20230330-122639.gz
(34.31 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
EI-An Unexpected Appearance replay 20230330-124358.gz
Path a
(35.9 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

Dalas120 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 12:30 am (04b_Batty_Swamp - brave a toxic swamp to collect herbs for some dunefolk),
It's been a while that I played Eastern Invasion and I have few memories of it (not sure that I finished it, actually), but as much as I like encountering varied units, aren't Dunefolk completely unknown to the Westnoth population at the time the campaign plays ?
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Spoiler:
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

Dalas120 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm
Spoiler:
OK, I guess that if you checked that it's compatible with the lore (reasonable traveling distances¹, coherent timeline) then it's fine.

¹ Note that historically, there have been some really far-going expeditions, at times were it was not possible to have them as a regular trade.
An analogy would be "it's OK to have ancient greeks traveling to west africa (Guinea and the like), it's not OK to have them come back from it" (since winds allow travel in one direction and not the other).
I'm not knowledgeable enough with the ecology of the Great Desert to assert how this analogy would translate in Irdya, though.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Replays and stats from S4c onwards
Spoiler:
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Welcome!
I've just finished Eastern Invasion again (on 1.16 so I don't know what has changed) and I have some suggestions for changes. ;)

- The red mage unit does not fit the Engineer, I would suggest a special unit for him, it would also be good if he got a name
- Terraent, Grug and Engineer should have their portraits as second-plan characters of the campaign
- For the orc king, a unit of a sovereign would be more suitable than a warlord
- Conrad II says that Grug helped Gweddre along with his tribe, so consequently there should be an option to recruit young ogres (or Grug's team simply joins in its entirety without expanding the list of recruits)
- Owaec is a very interesting character but we don't know much about him
- Also Terraent deserve more dialogue

Ps. I'm not sure but if I understood correctly in the latest version the option to summon undead (plague staff) was added. I suggest removing this because it strangely affects the campaign considering that our team aims to destroy necromancers and not to become them
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Thanks for your comments! Most of your suggestions have indeed been resolved in the new version (currently only on 1.17's add-on server)
- the Engineer no longer exists
- Terraent has a customer portrait (but not Grug, sadly)
- Dra-Nak is now a sovereign
- Grug's entire surviving team does join Gweddry
- Owaec gets more dialogue and a couple story beats
- Terraent gets more dialogue, plus a solo mission

Regarding the plague staff: I agree with you!
Spoiler:
makburgula

Post by makburgula »

I just played the EI campaign on v1.17.22 both on MacOSX and Windows systems. I noticed a bug with the Sentinel Shield. It's not working as described.

I had an Iron Mauler equip the sentinel shield, and a Paladin adjacent to it. A Bone shooter attacked Paladin (under dawn time) with its 10-3 ranged-pierce, which would normally hit the Paladin 12 for each shot (due to -20% pierce resistance), and hit the Iron Mauler 6 for each shot (due to +40% pierce resistance).

I expected this would happen like this:- Paladin doesn't take any damage, and Iron Mauler would instead take the hit and it would be 6. But instead what happened was, Paladin took 12, and Iron Mauler also took 6. Weird! Can this be fixed please?

I am looking forward to using Sentinel Shield with Yetiburger and it would be a blast! :)

Also, maybe someone can clarify how the Sentinel Shield actually works if I misunderstood?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

makburgula wrote: November 4th, 2023, 9:11 pm I just played the EI campaign on v1.17.22 both on MacOSX and Windows systems. I noticed a bug with the Sentinel Shield. It's not working as described.

I had an Iron Mauler equip the sentinel shield, and a Paladin adjacent to it. A Bone shooter attacked Paladin (under dawn time) with its 10-3 ranged-pierce, which would normally hit the Paladin 12 for each shot (due to -20% pierce resistance), and hit the Iron Mauler 6 for each shot (due to +40% pierce resistance).

I expected this would happen like this:- Paladin doesn't take any damage, and Iron Mauler would instead take the hit and it would be 6. But instead what happened was, Paladin took 12, and Iron Mauler also took 6. Weird! Can this be fixed please?

I am looking forward to using Sentinel Shield with Yetiburger and it would be a blast! :)

Also, maybe someone can clarify how the Sentinel Shield actually works if I misunderstood?
I'm not the maintainer, but nonetheless please provide a save file for them, so they can check the bug at it's source. :)