Old mainline sprites?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Old mainline sprites?

Post by Atreides »

I'm curious if there's a way to download the obsolete mainline sprites and animations. Particularly I'm interested in seeing the 1.10 and older mermaids. As far as I can tell they were reworked after that.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Old mainline sprites?

Post by beetlenaut »

You can download and install multiple versions of BfW--at least I know it works without problems on Linux. You can probably play 1.10 still. But, even if you can't get 1.10 to run, you can see the older sprites in the data folders. Actually, if just the base sprites would satisfy you, go to the Wesnoth Units Database. It goes all the way back.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Thanks, sounds like I could just download 1.10 and look at the sprites & animations (which I do want to see). I'll try and search for 1.10 now, hope it is not too hard to find.

P.S. I discovered that the mermen changed the most from 1.4 to 1.6, 1.10 was a red herring.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Atreides wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:11 am I'll try and search for 1.10 now, hope it is not too hard to find.
You can download old Wesnoth releases here.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Thanks, I did find it easily, was the first search result. :) I downloaded a couple, looked at the pics and kept a few and then deleted the rest. I did really like the old ancient wose portrait from 1.10 as well as the spearman. I also kept a bunch of older animated loyalists which had been replaced by a single better base sprite. I do think the newer ones are better but in some cases the old ones are almost (90%) as good and I hope I can find a use for them. I'm sure the old artists are smiling in their graves knowing that. ;-) Of course I also kept the 1.4 mermen that I'd been seeking. Some old era I'm working on used them but I replaced them with base units. I am a very curious person though so I had to know where the old ones were...
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Make mermen great again!

Wose had great portraits. But their slowness annoyed me so much that I tried to avoid them always ...