Expanding UMC Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spannerbag

Re: Expanding UMC Music

Post by Spannerbag »

egallager wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:20 am
  • Anonymity, Emotion, Floating_Paper_bags, and Imminent_Threat are from "Kill the King" by Dugi
  • breaking_the_siege_edit is from Alariels_Journey_Music by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • figght_amp is from TAS_Music, which is music for "The Amaranthine Stone", both by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • FollowingYourStar, ThoseofUsWhoFight, and TravelstotheEast are from the EpicMusic add-on (in which Heindal packages music by HalcyonicFalconX aka Phyrnna from the Open Bundle)
  • heroism looks like it's from both Alariels_Journey_Music and TAS_Music
  • night_hunter_edit is from both Alariels_Journey_Music and A_Whim_of_Fate (and then it looks like there's also an "_m" version in Mountain_Witch)
  • no_way_out is from FlightToFreedom by MadMax
  • onethousandsuns is from the Akladian_Music dependency for A_New_Order; music/readme.txt in Akladian_Music lists the author of onethousandsuns as Tyler Johnson
Wow, nice work - saved me a job, thanks! :D
Out of interest, how did you search through the content for these tracks?
(I.e. did you search the online archive and/or locally installed UMC etc...)
Just curious.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
egallager

Post by egallager »

Spannerbag wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:11 pm
  • Anonymity, Emotion, Floating_Paper_bags, and Imminent_Threat are from "Kill the King" by Dugi
  • breaking_the_siege_edit is from Alariels_Journey_Music by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • figght_amp is from TAS_Music, which is music for "The Amaranthine Stone", both by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • FollowingYourStar, ThoseofUsWhoFight, and TravelstotheEast are from the EpicMusic add-on (in which Heindal packages music by HalcyonicFalconX aka Phyrnna from the Open Bundle)
  • night_hunter_edit is from both Alariels_Journey_Music and A_Whim_of_Fate (and then it looks like there's also an "_m" version in Mountain_Witch)
  • onethousandsuns is from the Akladian_Music dependency for A_New_Order; music/readme.txt in Akladian_Music lists the author of onethousandsuns as Tyler Johnson
Wow, nice work - saved me a job, thanks! :D
Out of interest, how did you search through the content for these tracks?
(I.e. did you search the online archive and/or locally installed UMC etc...)
Just curious.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-- Spannerbag
I just searched my locally installed UMC...

Edit: Let me link their forum threads here so I can look through them to see if the music was posted there... Edit 2: important point about the music for Alariel's Journey:
FaeLord wrote: November 18th, 2015, 12:00 am As for the music, I don't know a way around that as not everyone has downloaded all the UMC music packs (and there are a lot of them). As well, pretty much all of the cuts used in Alariel's Journey have been attenuated and balanced (volume-wise) by me using Audacity, so they're not actually the versions you would get from the UMC packs anyway. Those that I adjusted also have different filenames from those in the UMC packs.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Pentarctagon wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:34 pm Of those, these are the ones not included in any of the UMC Music Book add-ons:
  • Anonymity
  • breaking_the_siege_edit
  • Emotion
  • figght_amp
  • Floating_Paper_Bags
  • FollowingYourStar
  • heroism
  • Imminent_Threat
  • night_hunter_edit
  • no_way_out
  • onethousandsuns
  • ThoseofUsWhoFight
  • TravelstotheEast
I would want to know where they came from before adding them though - all the other music that's part of these add-ons provides the author's username and a link back to the forum thread where it was found.
To clarify, what I'm most interested is confirming that they were originally made with the intention to be used in Wesnoth (either UMC or mainline). The reason for that restriction being that these add-ons aren't meant to have just any music that's licensed as compatible for Wesnoth - there's way too much music floating around the internet to try and include it all in music pack add-ons.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:47 am So, just a heads up, but I spent some time archiving threads linked to from this thread in the Wayback Machine today, and it turns out that some of the links in the original post that are marked as dead aren't actually dead if you include Wayback Machine copies: http://web.archive.org/web/20230124020153/https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37141
(Most of them still are actually dead, though)
Anyways, after doing this crawl, I've now ended up with a bunch more Wesnoth UMC music in my music library, as shown by the attached screenshot:
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 20.42.45.png
By the way, the original reason I did this archiving in the first place was because I've been trying to categorize songs from the UMC Music Books into "moods" for TEG, as per this issue: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Earths_Gut/issues/11. Any help with this would be appreciated!
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Pentarctagon wrote: January 27th, 2023, 6:06 pm
Pentarctagon wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:34 pm Of those, these are the ones not included in any of the UMC Music Book add-ons:
  • Anonymity
  • breaking_the_siege_edit
  • Emotion
  • figght_amp
  • Floating_Paper_Bags
  • FollowingYourStar
  • heroism
  • Imminent_Threat
  • night_hunter_edit
  • no_way_out
  • onethousandsuns
  • ThoseofUsWhoFight
  • TravelstotheEast
I would want to know where they came from before adding them though - all the other music that's part of these add-ons provides the author's username and a link back to the forum thread where it was found.
To clarify, what I'm most interested is confirming that they were originally made with the intention to be used in Wesnoth (either UMC or mainline). The reason for that restriction being that these add-ons aren't meant to have just any music that's licensed as compatible for Wesnoth - there's way too much music floating around the internet to try and include it all in music pack add-ons.
In my addons (TDMP resources and survival) I have a folder contains all UMC and mainline musics from BFW 1.0 and 1.2 all with a macro that refer where I found them even if the campaign is regarded as incomplete or abandoned on the server. And I have a file for the 1.4 if you want.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Just spent a few hours downloading music packs and updating the author and source details for the various track used by AfterEI.
I assume Epicmusic, UMC music packs and West's Chronicles are OK to use in UMC.

I've managed to fill in the gaps as best I can but the tracks beginning with an asterisk are those that whilst I know which (or one of) the campaigns it came from I know neither the author (composer) of the music nor for certain if the copyright allows use within BfW.

Also many tracks have a source but no author...

If anyone can help me "fill in the blanks" with these it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't imagine there's a problem with any of these tracks but I'd like to credit the contributors for their efforts and generosity.

Alternatively if anyone can advise me of places to look I'd be very grateful.

Here's my list:

Code: Select all

AEI-1				Author (composer)	Source Add-on

ambuscade.ogg			Mattias Westlund	UMC Music Book 07
* Anonymity.ogg			?			Kill the King
battlecry.ogg			ancestral		UMC Music Book 01
Before_the_Battle.ogg		Mattias Westlund (West)	Wests Chronicles II
* breaking_the_siege_edit.ogg	?			Alariel's Journey music
calm-before-storm.ogg		Tlogmer			UMC Music Book 01
Desert_Chase.ogg		Mattias Westlund (West)	Wests Chronicles II	
* Emotion.ogg			?			Kill the King
exploration.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 07
* figght_amp.ogg		?			The Amaranthine Stone Music
Flight_of_the_Drakes.ogg	?			UMC Music Book 10
* Floating_Paper_Bags.ogg	?			Kill the King
FollowingYourStar.ogg		Halcyonic Falcon X	Epicmusic
fragments_of_time_cut.ogg	Erik Rijshouwer		UMC Music Book 08
* heroism.ogg			?			Alariel's Journey music / The Amaranthine Stone Music
* Imminent_Threat.ogg		?			Kill the King
in_the_land_of_madness.ogg	?			UMC Music Book 03

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AEI-2				Author (composer)	Source Add-on

land_of_adventure.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 08		
light.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 11
LunarCage.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 06
maabad16.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 05
March_of_the_divine.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 06
moleman.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 08
* night_hunter_edit.ogg		?			Alariel's Journey music
* no_way_out.ogg		?			Flight to Freedom
onethousandsuns.ogg		Tyler Johnson		Akladian_Music
overland_1.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 10
overland_2.ogg			?			UMC Music Book 10
ThoseofUsWhoFight.ogg		Halcyonic Falcon X	Epicmusic
through_the_gates.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 08
TravelstotheEast.ogg		Halcyonic Falcon X	Epicmusic
Trite_And_Wrong.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 10
wesnoth_song1.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 07
zhaytee_newtruths.ogg		?			UMC Music Book 12
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The _main.cfg of each has comments listing info for each song.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Pentarctagon wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:52 pm The _main.cfg of each has comments listing info for each song.
Thanks - actually realised that but then got bogged down with the asterisks etc... and forgot to check the _main.cfg files for the UMC music packs! :doh:

Cheers,
-- Spannerbag
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Finally managed to post this.
These are the remaining uncredited tracks.

I'll download the campaigns and/or contact the content authors in due course - bit busy just now.
I only post this because through_the_gates.ogg is from UMC Music Book 08 and I can't find a credit in Akladian Music?
But then I might have missed something (wouldn't be the first time)...

Code: Select all

UMC Music Book 08 -> Akladian Music
  through_the_gates.ogg

Alariel's Journey
  breaking_the_siege_edit.ogg
  heroism.ogg *
  night_hunter_edit.ogg

Flight to Freedom
  no_way_out.ogg

Kill The King
  Anonymity.ogg
  Emotion.ogg
  Floating_Paper_Bags.ogg
  Imminent_Threat.ogg

TAS (The Amaranthine Stone) Music
  figght_amp.ogg
  heroism.ogg *

* Same music
Cheers,
-- Spannerbag
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Spannerbag wrote: August 31st, 2023, 11:49 am Finally managed to post this.

I'll download the campaigns and/or contact the content authors in due course - bit busy just now.
I only post this because through_the_gates.ogg is from UMC Music Book 08 and I can't find a credit in Akladian Music?
In UMC Music Book 08, "through the gates" is credited to Mattias Westlund (but the name is misspelled as "Matthias").

Also in UMC Music Book 08, figght.ogg (credited to Telaron) seems to be the same track as figght_amp.ogg from TAS (The Amaranthine Stone) Music. (I'm not sure what the difference is.)
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

gnombat wrote: August 31st, 2023, 2:47 pm
Spannerbag wrote: August 31st, 2023, 11:49 am Finally managed to post this.

In UMC Music Book 08, "through the gates" is credited to Mattias Westlund (but the name is misspelled as "Matthias").

Also in UMC Music Book 08, figght.ogg (credited to Telaron) seems to be the same track as figght_amp.ogg from TAS (The Amaranthine Stone) Music. (I'm not sure what the difference is.)
?! ... How the hell did I miss that??? :augh: :doh: :augh: :doh: :augh:
I read that bl**dy _main.cfg several times to avoid doing exactly this (again). :x
I really must get more sleep and stop coding/posting at stupid o'clock (yeah, that's gonna happen).

(-Deep breath-) Anyway, thanks for pointing that out, much appreciated.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
egallager

Post by egallager »

@Pentarctagon I think the Wesn.ogg being shipped in UMC Music Book 06 is corrupted; could you try replacing it with the version I re-encoded in the thread for it here? https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=683696#p683696
N.B. Spannerbag agrees: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=684055#p684055