Which Multiplayer Era is the most creative? - expanded

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which multiplayer era is the most creative?

Great Steppe Era
31%
Imperial Era
No votes
Era of Magic
23%
Age of Trials
No votes
Battle for Meridia
8%
Archaic Era
No votes
Era of Four Moons
8%
Rashy Era
No votes
Era of Myths
No votes
Extended Era
No votes
Galactic Empires
8%
Era of High Sorcery
23%

Total votes: 13

Temuchin Khan

Which Multiplayer Era is the most creative? - expanded

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Which Battle for Wesnoth Faction & Era contribution do you think is the most creative. Vote here!

EDIT: Poll has been expanded with several additional eras.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on February 15th, 2023, 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dwarftough

Re: Which Multiplayer Era is the most creative?

Post by dwarftough »

Why no Great Steppe Era in the poll? And you have Era of Magic twice
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

no steppa = voting is noncence
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

You have Era of Magic twice but not Great Steppe Era. I think it would be a good idea to add Great Steppe Era to the list
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Not that familiar with Great Steppe Era, but since there's support, I'll include it. And thanks for catching the mistake with Era of Magic!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Temuchin Khan wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:50 pm Not that familiar with Great Steppe Era
Would highly recommend checking it out. There's even some singleplayer content if you don't want to try MP - Ogre Crusaders and Deeds of Sir Swine (they mostly focus on the same faction though but still)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

And they're off! Great Steppe Era takes the early lead, but Era of Magic is close behind. Battle for Meridia holds a distant third while the others are pacing their horses!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I think this Poll is very unfair and biased since it did not consider GSE at first as well as a lot of popular eras such as Galactic Empires Era and Era of High Sorcery seem to be absent. Why have these choices been omitted?
I voted GSE for original concept ideation and execution.
(You did not add my era either)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Aye I feel this Poll is quite narrow and the "being most creative" too broad. If its uniqueness in game play you be looking at EoM and GSE. If you look for races/factions well you leave out a lot of eras. I been Playing Wesnoth since version 1.4 I love the Extended era and era of legends and era of myths. I can't leave out Era of the future where dwarves are sea dwellers that is quite unique. But i'm just old school I love Ageless Era overall as it combines all the favorite ages. I'm also dissing on my own era as its like Ageless but less supported...
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I second Era of High Sorcery! It's amazing. IMHO the most underrated Era.

You can add up to 20 choices, from the replies I surmise that all 20 should have been filled in. Of course it'd be tedious so I understand a quick and dirty poll makes sense too. But I must say it seems there is a fair bit of interest in this subject so perhaps a full poll would be well received. : )
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

I decided to assess "creativity" by one simple metric: the visual coolness of sprites.

After looking at all the sprites, I voted for Era of Magic.

Here are the units I thought were especially cool and creative: the hydra, the cyclops, the purple orb of electricity, the elementals, the golem that looks like a big cone with crab legs, the creature that resembles the xenomorph from Alien, the unit that's a dimensional gate, and (my favorite) the huge Battle Toad with a saurian rider.

I considered assessing creativity by lore instead, but I don't know the lore of all the eras very well.

GSE was my runner-up.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
IPS

Post by IPS »

By "creativity" I would assume directly how far/different is it from playing that era compared to playing default.

In recent times I can clearly mention about The Great Steppe Era about being the most different from default talking regards new eras. So I voted GSE as a more creative project in terms of gameplay in overall.

Their faction's gameplay differs the most from default if we're talking about recent and active add-ons. Enough content to consider it a whole gamemode itself. This is quite easy to prove when you check Bull Tumen pillage special as the easiest and shortest way to resume this point.

Still, there are units in other eras that excels at having way too unique roles in other eras , as in the case of Archaic Era with the Air daemons with its very unique movement costs and weird bulkyness as ranged unit. Era of Magic shines at this point as well because of the massive content it actually has, as well containing some units that are way too unique (Mu, Cosmic Eye, Dwarven Technologist ;) , Omen and Golems, and many other examples).

But even with the somewhat exotic roles that some units have, they're not clearly enough to make the gameplay way more different from using default as trying GSE (The Great Steppe Era)

Era of Four Moons is a quite intersting concept, still some factions sins to be "too normal" (even more than default in some cases?) as in case of Sea States , as well having some more interesting factions as in the case of Pygmies for example. It's still worth to try it out.

Lastly to mention, lobby needs more eras like Rashy Era as well, it's the main essence of oldcore era design that we've been missing since real long since Extended Era and Era of Myths did go innactive in design, only complaint is about of some underpowered around Rashy Era that are somewhat too frequent there xd
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

There are far too many eras to include them all in one poll, as I'm sure everyone knows. I initially included the ones I am (a) familiar with and (b) considered among the more creative ones. I added Great Steppe Era because several people asked for it. I also have checked it out and decided it certainly does qualify. As for assessing creativity, I didn't have a hard-and-fast definition. Hiwever, I did have at least two criteria: First, an era that was too much like default didn't qualify. Second, the era had to have lots of new unit and faction ideas. Third, providing a new take on fantasy tropes was also helpful. For example, Battle for Meridia was included because it has only one default faction, the Dunefolk, has lots of new units, and gives new and fresh takes on Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs alike. New and fresh gameplay doesn't hurt either, of course.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Which Multiplayer Era is the most creative? - expanded

Post by Temuchin Khan »

So, I expanded the poll with several additional eras. Unfortunately, this time the previous results were erased! I do remember them, though:

Era of Magic - 7
Great Steppe - 6
Archaic Era - 2
Battle for Meridia - 1