Men of the North "Northern Rebirth concept"

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Edwylm

Men of the North "Northern Rebirth concept"

Post by Edwylm »

Welcome to a work in progress units/faction for humans that live North of the Great River. Since I was working on a Northern Rebirth rewrite, There have been many challenges with concepts and coding issues. And for the sake of NR perspectives it be best to get community feedback with the concepts before moving forward. However this thread in not focused on the Northern rebirth but the improving of the overall Northern regions of Wesnoth. Please bare the cringe of my messy ideas on concepts.

The inspiration for armaments is using weapons that evolved from everyday tools as it would be cheap, multipurpose, can easily be converted and easy for training. Like war scythes, bills, axes, crossbows/bows etc... The aims of the Northmen “faction” is to allow the concept that these people can be loyalist and those that do not wish to be part of the kingdom. I do not want to reuse lot of names and try to be open on weapons.

The other issue is no military standards for the Northern Alliances and the coalition army is a mix of units and races. I have decided that having dedicated human North Alliance will not work out the best but having Human Northmen be a doable compromise. This way the units can be used across most North centered campaigns that are not 100% wesnoth culture style. Is it needed not really but it helps in the immersion. However if the community things having NA dedicated human units/faction is wanted i could try to work around that.

So now for the ideas and concepts for units...

First notable change I like to be able to do is to rework the peasants. The peasants I would like to see variants to be recruited randomly and advance their own lines much like how the walking corpse to the soulless variants. This would remove the bowmen and spearman line but peasants are never used in multiplayer so it should work out... The only problem I have is I do not know how to do this or how it would work thus I need someone to help see if this can be done. If it can't be done than sadly it can't be implemented into NR.

The names I picked out for the peasant line is, Lvl 0, Peasant<Lvl 1, Levy<Lvl 2, Auxiliary.
I was thinking of having them be neutral alignment as peasant revolts can be good but also be bad depending on whats going on. I would also give them negative traits much like the goblins.

Levy “Being cheaper than the standard units compared at its own level. They are lightly trained and experienced in battle, being called up in times of great need where they are to support the central military.”

Auxiliary “being battled hardened they are the first of the peasant ranks to be called up to support the armies heading to war. Their roles are to act as auxiliaries to supplement and fill up the ranks on campaign. Once their duty is done they return to their fields and crafts.”

Peasant leaders that control the rabble
Lvl 0, Dissident<Lvl 1, Rabble Rouser<Lvl 2, Agitator (peasant inspiration)

Lvl 0, Woodsman<Lvl 1, Forester<Lvl 2, Warden<Lvl 3 (Lawful line)
<poacher line
<levy line (unless we we get peasant bowman variants)

Now with the Northmen

lvl1, Traveling Mage<lvl2, Wondering Mage (would be interesting to be able to give a random Magical attack as a trait but i doubt it would work)
<lvl2, Reclusive Mage<lvl3, Hermit~ lvl4, Elder Hermit (Elder Hermit will be campaign only)
<lvl3, Wiseman<lvl4, Sage~ lvl5, Grand Sage (arcane attacks, grand sage will be campaign only)
lvl3, Herbalist (not sure how i feel about this line.)

some info on the mages...
Spoiler:
lvl1, Hillman<lvl2, Wildman<lvl3, Barbarian (melee-axe, range javelin or have a torch for fire attack)
<lvl3, Savage (melee-axe attack only frenzy, range throwing axe) (could add another level before it)
, mix fighter, move fast in forest and hills,
Hillman line are viewed as outsiders in wesnoth some are loyal to the kingdom while others are not city folk see them as "uncivilized" because of their lifestyle

lvl1, hunter<lvl2, tracker/slayer<lvl3, Nimrod (melee-spear range-bow) (Nimrod having ambush?)
<lvl3, Ranger
A basic Hunting line but also specialize in taking on large monsters that roam the north, thus why the have spears and a bow. Spears are better to attack larger foes. ranger line just makes sense.

lvl1, Crossbowman<lvl2, Arbalester<lvl3, Deadeye (melee-sword or mace/warhammer, range-crossbow marksman)
<lvl2or3, Repeater (melee-sword, range crossbow many attacks idea to see if its possible to do 2 strikes before enemy attack)
<lvl3, Arquebusier (heavy hitter do not want too many as they are suppose to be rare)
A basic range unit line that has the option to gain a thunder gun, How they come to get them would be trading the dwarves that they trust thus being limited.

lvl1, Poleman/Yeoman<lvl2, Billman<lvl3, Heavy Billman
<lvl2, Sentry<lvl3, Custodian (adds bonuses when in villages)
Basic melee unit line

lvl1, Rough-rider<lvl2, crusher<lvl3, vanquisher (heavy cav melee-hammer melee-pick horseman's pick)
<lvl2, Hobelar (skirmisher melee-spear range-javelin)
<lvl2, Hussar<lvl3, winded hussar (light cav)
basic cav

lvl1, signalman<lvl2, Standard-bearer<lvl3, Signifer (melee-staff leadership or inspire)
Had a hard time trying to figure how a group of villages would have a command structure being self reliant and being nobleless. But having signalers that relay commands and have leadership skills would work around this issue.

lvl1, Cadet<lvl2, Officer<lvl3, Commander<lvl4, Supreme Commander melee sword range-throwing knives marksman lvl3+ leadership
This line is more for the NA but its quite common for people to vote for a commanding officers so not really an issue.
basplate

Re: Men of the North "Northern Rebirth concept"

Post by basplate »

I quite like the concept looking forward for the first Sprites :)
Edwylm

Re: Men of the North "Northern Rebirth concept"

Post by Edwylm »

Sprites sadly will not be the main focus of the project, I will be using place holders from other creators until units and designs are more defined.

I have been currently working on the units stats so far, to which some units are quite difficult regarding attacks. Example is the attack types for the mage's magic.

I am hopping to get a era out this month for testing.