1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Helmet wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:33 pm Scenario 1:

The objective explained that if my leader survived until turn 15, I would win. Yet here it is, turn 16, and the game continues.
It isn't an automatic win.
Spoiler:
Helmet wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:33 pm My leader is level 1, and my army consists of a single 0-level unit, and I have no gold, and 28 enemy units are closing in, and I'm trapped on an island.

This is easy mode?
Spoiler:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:06 pm It isn't an automatic win.
Thanks for the explanation.

I think scenario 1 might benefit from a little re-working. Some players might quit the campaign on turn 16, like I did.

The scenario could simply end on turn 15, like I thought it would. After turn 15, not much happens anyhow. My leader simply hid in the water while I watched the ai fight the other ai for 15 turns. :annoyed:

Even apart from the confusing objective, I think scenario 1 is too hard -- and I played on easy mode.

I'm now on scenario 7, and the 1st scenario was much harder than all of them so far. In my opinion, the first scenario should be easier than later scenarios, or about the same level of difficulty, not significantly harder. Maybe put a cap on the number of recruited enemy units, so they eventually run out. It would also help if the player had gold and could recruit units to replace the ones that are killed.

The "twist" could still happen to the player's leader: have a new ship arrive, enemy units disembark, scenario over.

All the scenarios past the first one are well done and fun. :)
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Made it all the way to scenario 11 before being defeated by numerous undead.

This was a good campaign. I'm glad it's being maintained.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

Is there any way to tell where in the Wesnoth timeline this campaign is?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

WLFobe wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:16 pm Is there any way to tell where in the Wesnoth timeline this campaign is?
There was a discussion about that years ago (see here and here) but I don't think any of it was ever incorporated into the text of the campaign.