Eastern Invasion, Revised (1.17) - Looking for Playtesters!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dalas120
Developer

Re: Eastern Invasion, Revised (1.17) - Looking for Playtesters!

Post by Dalas120 »

Note that Owaec's animations and stats have changed, but old saves will still use the old Owaec stats (until you level him). There may be some additional minor bugs if you load an old save, since variables might have been created/renamed/deleted.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Dalas120 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:58 pm Sounds like a good idea; I'll set the AIs to avoid the trapdoor, and will highlight the trapdoor when the objective pops up.
Hi, I tried scenario 1 again.

I like how the updated objective explains what needs to be done to win.

If the ai was supposed to keep undead off the trapdoor, however, it didn't work.
Attachments
EI-Eastern Invasion replay 20221223-142450.gz
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

Helmet wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 8:34 pm
Dalas120 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:58 pm Sounds like a good idea; I'll set the AIs to avoid the trapdoor, and will highlight the trapdoor when the objective pops up.
Hi, I tried scenario 1 again.

I like how the updated objective explains what needs to be done to win.

If the ai was supposed to keep undead off the trapdoor, however, it didn't work.
That's because the AI that avoids stepping on the trapdoor hasn't been activated yet. It activates as soon as Dacyn returns and opens the trapdoor. Until then, they can step on it if they want. And actually, it's okay like that.
Straff

Post by Straff »

And in the case there is an undead standing on the trapdoor when Dacyn arrives?
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

Reading the code, Dacyn appears on the nearest free hexagon but the undead remains. I don't know if this can be a big problem.
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

The avoid is supposed to be active from the beginning, but I accidentally put in the avoid coordinates as y=5 instead of y=15!

But instead of fixing that, I think I'll just have Dacyn kill any undead that's standing on the trapdoor when he opens it.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Dalas120 wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:33 amI think I'll just have Dacyn kill any undead that's standing on the trapdoor when he opens it.
Best solution! It helps the player, plus it's cool. 8)
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Dalas120 wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:33 am...I think I'll just have Dacyn kill any undead that's standing on the trapdoor when he opens it.
I replayed the first scenario on easy difficulty.

It was well-balanced and fun. Although my units were meant to flee for their lives, they weren't massacred and even managed to earn some XPs before fleeing. I like how the overwhelming undead force did not manifest until near the end, so it was clear that I wasn't expected to kill them all.

One little problem happened, though.

Dacyn was standing on the trapdoor, totally surrounded by enemy units and my units. That meant Dacyn could not move off the trapdoor and allow one of my units to stand on the trapdoor!

Fortunately, there was a gap in the undead horde which allowed me to move one of my units into the gap, and then Dacyn moved into the space where my unit had been, and then I moved a different unit into the trapdoor and won. I was lucky there was a gap in the undead horde or I may've lost because of Dacyn.

I suggest that after Dacyn appears and delivers his dialogue, if there is a side 1 unit adjacent to Dacyn, that Dacyn says something like, "I am going into the tunnel. Follow me!" and then he disappears down the trapdoor. This would allow an adjacent side 1 unit to enter the trapdoor hex. It would be a bummer if Dacyn's standing on the trapdoor and surrounded by friendly and enemy units caused the player to lose. However, if no side 1 unit is standing next to Dacyn, perhaps leave him on the map, as his help might be needed in the battle.

Gee whiz, I can't believe I made yet another post complaining about that trapdoor. Sorry, dude. This is truly an excellent scenario and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. I finally beat scenario 1! Woo!
Author of:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Ay ay ay, I had no idea this trapdoor would cause so much grief!

Ok, in the next version (coming in the next couple weeks, once achievements are supported) I've changed it so that if any player unit is on top of the trapdoor when it opens, you get a choice to enter immediately (and win) or to wait and enter later. Hopefully that should solve the issue!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Dalas120 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 7:25 pm Ok, in the next version (coming in the next couple weeks, once achievements are supported) I've changed it so that if any player unit is on top of the trapdoor when it opens, you get a choice to enter immediately (and win) or to wait and enter later. Hopefully that should solve the issue!
A choice? I like that idea!

I like that you used the new 1.17 terrain tiles in scenario 2. The new tiles are awesome.

I also like that you also used a new 1.17 monster in scenario 3. Unfortunately, the latest Mac version of 1.17 isn't ready yet, so I can't complete the scenario.

Wow, you are truly on the cutting edge of WML coding. I'm using the latest Mac-specific unstable development version of The Battle for Wesnoth, and yet my version is too old to play your game! Ha ha.
Author of:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Haha, you gotta get with the times! Sorry you can't complete the scenario though :(

And yes, the new terrain tiles are SO PRETTY, especially in caves. I'm glad I didn't make this add-on before 1.17, or I would have missed out on a lot of great stuff.
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

New patch - version 2.1.0! Aside from bugfixes and minor changes, this is probably the final update.

Version v2.1.0 includes:
- 23 new achievements; 1 for each scenario!
- an all-new bonus mission, if certain criteria are met!
- droppable and reusable items
- 2 new songs: Cry From Elensefar (Pluft) and Heavens (Gabriel Silver, remix by me)
- new Bone Knight sprite and animations
- drakes now speak in Morogor dialect (more or less)
- Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty scaling changed from 33/66/100 to 20/60/100 (easier on Easy/Normal, unchanged Hard)
- and much more!
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Hi! Really liked your version of the Eastern Invasion, hopefully it gets mainlined someday.

Finished the campaign on easy and normal difficulty and I'm currently trying with the hardest difficulty, few bugs that I encountered:

I got this lua error in the scenario Do or Die for a while when Mal-Ravanal tried to create weaker undead units but after a turn or two of him failing to do so he was suddenly again capable of summoning them without any errors.

Second:
Spoiler:
Attachments
lua_error.png
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Uh oh, those are pretty serious bugs. Thanks for reporting; I'll get them fixed!

Bugs aside, I'm glad you liked it!
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Hello again, forgot to mention this typo too in one of your items:

Also, is there something wrong with some of the achievements? Scenario 15, 18a and 18b didn't give me the achievement completed even if I did them successfully. I took a quick peek at scenario 15 file and it seems to have scenario 14 achievement there but not sure about the other two.
Attachments
typo.png
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain