The Bees Journey

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: The Bees Journey

Post by Atreides »

BTW about the bees dieing after stinging what struck me from our resident expert's comment was that it only happens when they sting enemies larger than themselves. Apparently vs other insects (about the same size as the Bees) they have no trouble! I never knew that last part before.

So since these are giant bees (assumption) when they sting an orc they don't die since the orcs are the same size as the bees!

Anyways I'd never worry anyways. Bees that can talk can surely sting without dieing... ;-)
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Atreides wrote: January 13th, 2023, 3:00 am BTW about the bees dieing after stinging what struck me from our resident expert's comment was that it only happens when they sting enemies larger than themselves. Apparently vs other insects (about the same size as the Bees) they have no trouble! I never knew that last part before.

So since these are giant bees (assumption) when they sting an orc they don't die since the orcs are the same size as the bees!

Anyways I'd never worry anyways. Bees that can talk can surely sting without dieing... ;-)
Hi, Atreides!
That is also true. Even the 'venom' ability added from Dragon-Friend's version was handled differently for insects and large animals. This is the first time I have learned about it.
Yes, it is as big as an orc (at least on the screen), so how should it be treated. If you have any more good ideas, please write to me.

Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Author of The Bees Journey, A Starry Forest, and Beyond the Eternal Morning
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

I began playing version 1.2.2 in 'Queen Edition'! I noticed several story improvements and I was almost terrified when I saw that my level 0 bees had purple (AMLA) xp bars! :shock: Only after checking the code did I realize they level-up via AMLA upgrades. (This should be noted in the unit description.) Actually, If the player ever gets to recruit level 1 bees (which the last time I played was limited to level 1 drones), they will have a disadvantage vs upgraded bees. Perhaps only the level 2 bees should have AMLA? As for the upgrades themselves, I think one of the 'protect' icons from UMC Magic Icons (BfW 1.12 addon), would be a better choice for the resistance upgrade's image; also should it really be +20-60% to all resistances for level 2 bees? (maximum AMLA upgrade, +10% from level 0) Maybe it should be +5% * 2-4? :hmm: (Just seems a bit too much right now.)

I also spotted a bug in my balling code: when venom and balling combine to kill (reduce to <1 hp) a unit, the balling code saves his life! :shock:
bee_events.txt
patched version
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Atreides wrote: January 13th, 2023, 3:00 am BTW about the bees dieing after stinging what struck me from our resident expert's comment was that it only happens when they sting enemies larger than themselves. Apparently vs other insects (about the same size as the Bees) they have no trouble! I never knew that last part before.

"...our resident expert's comment..."? Um, its more of "our resident student of the experts". I appreciate knowing about the subject I am working on, so I study the subject to understand it fully. (Plus I have my personal experience.)
Fantasy bees don't die after stinging, because they have magic and imagination to protect them. :lol: (However, with charge stinging is often fatal to level 0 bees, thus preserving that aspect, if only by a bit.) Personally, I would only wanted to put the suicidal aspect of stinging in the unit description as a side note... but it didn't fit well. :?
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Dragon-Friend wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:36 pm I began playing version 1.2.2 in 'Queen Edition'! I noticed several story improvements and I was almost terrified when I saw that my level 0 bees had purple (AMLA) xp bars! :shock: Only after checking the code did I realize they level-up via AMLA upgrades. (This should be noted in the unit description.) Actually, If the player ever gets to recruit level 1 bees (which the last time I played was limited to level 1 drones), they will have a disadvantage vs upgraded bees. Perhaps only the level 2 bees should have AMLA? As for the upgrades themselves, I think one of the 'protect' icons from UMC Magic Icons (BfW 1.12 addon), would be a better choice for the resistance upgrade's image; also should it really be +20-60% to all resistances for level 2 bees? (maximum AMLA upgrade, +10% from level 0) Maybe it should be +5% * 2-4? :hmm: (Just seems a bit too much right now.)

I also spotted a bug in my balling code: when venom and balling combine to kill (reduce to <1 hp) a unit, the balling code saves his life! :shock:
bee_events.txt

"...our resident expert's comment..."? Um, its more of "our resident student of the experts". I appreciate knowing about the subject I am working on, so I study the subject to understand it fully. (Plus I have my personal experience.)
Fantasy bees don't die after stinging, because they have magic and imagination to protect them. :lol: (However, with charge stinging is often fatal to level 0 bees, thus preserving that aspect, if only by a bit.) Personally, I would only wanted to put the suicidal aspect of stinging in the unit description as a side note... but it didn't fit well. :?
Hi, Dragon-Friend!

Come to think of it, it is indeed scary that XP is purple... I will add a description, or write a process to change the color of XP to blue.
I see, it is true that ALMA may be better from level 2. Thanks also for the image suggestions.

I didn't realize they resistance had gone up that much! I did not intend to allow the resistance to go that high. I should have been a little more sure :oops:
I will try to make the adjustment again.
And, did I raise the stipulated values and ALMA for physical strength and attack power a little too much? I think so, so I will adjust them.

Thanks for the modified version of bee_events :D
I see, "our resident student of the experts"... nice term! Your advice, always very helpful. I will continue to try to improve it, and I look forward to working with you again.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi, it's easy to make the xp bar white for amlas. It's what I did for one of my unusual factions with no advancements but 4 AMLA levels instead. After the custom amlas you can make it revert to purple for the standard amlas (i.e. amla 5+).
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Atreides wrote: January 16th, 2023, 10:26 pm Hi, it's easy to make the xp bar white for amlas. It's what I did for one of my unusual factions with no advancements but 4 AMLA levels instead. After the custom amlas you can make it revert to purple for the standard amlas (i.e. amla 5+).
Hi, Atreides!
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the advice. I will refer to it :D
Hiromasa

Post by Hiromasa »

クライアントを1.2.3にアップデートしたところ、以前のバージョン(12.2.0?)のセーブデータが読み込めなくなりました。
後半では、game_error:unknown unittype:Bee Necromancerと出て、Bee Necromancerが不在の前半ではunknown unittype:Skilled Beeと出てセーブデータの読み込みが出来なくなっています
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Hiromasa wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:14 pm クライアントを1.2.3にアップデートしたところ、以前のバージョン(12.2.0?)のセーブデータが読み込めなくなりました。
後半では、game_error:unknown unittype:Bee Necromancerと出て、Bee Necromancerが不在の前半ではunknown unittype:Skilled Beeと出てセーブデータの読み込みが出来なくなっています
Hiromasaさん、こんばんは。
プレイとフィードバックありがとうございます :D

どちらも、ユニットタイプのIDを変更したために起こったエラーだと思われます。
なので少しユニットファイルを修正し、v1.2.3bとして公開しました。このバージョンでは解決されていると思います。(旧バージョンの.gzファイルが手元に残っておらず、動作チェックができていません。またエラーが出るようなら、よければもう一度書き込みをお願いします。)
Hiromasa

Post by Hiromasa »

起動はできるようになりましたがリプレイファイルを開くとエラー連発します

リプレイファイル添付しておきます
Attachments
TBJ-皮肉 リプレイ 20230111-064431.gz
(65.16 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

This was a fun campaign - very nice.

If you ever have the time to make a few changes, I would suggest going crazy on the bee-theme actually.

There are already many bee-specific aspects, including aging. That was quite hilarious to see that bees
do age. :)

New scenarios could be within a bee-hive; or an ant-hive. Invading ant hives.

Also, some larvae units or something. And perhaps changing "gold" to "honey" via WML or something like
that.

Also, a new ability: swarm death. If they surround an enemy, they do additional damage. Or call the
ability cooperation. Some japanese bees can do this, e. g. against other bees or wasps/hornets I
think.

I would also suggest more open area scenarios, e. g. wood/forest and what not, so that the bee
aspect is really used.

Spiders I would perhaps also add more, and give them more slow-ness, and smaller spiders too.

Like mother spiders spawning smaller spiders.

Anyway. That campaign is nice because it is very unusual. It's always good to see people explore
new things.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Oh yes and perhaps also if an enemy undead kills a bee, to raise a zombie bee or something.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> The story, especially the second half of the story, is still incomplete. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know.

I think the start was very nice. In the later stages you probably ran a bit out of ideas and integrated different units.

This is a nice idea, including finding followers. However had, I would also suggest adapting the units a little bit.

Perhaps rather than a fire dragon, a phoenix-like bird or something. That may not be super-fitting either but it could
be better than a dragon.

I would also perhaps add a few late-stage scenarios, ants and wasps perhaps. Or something like that. Something with
a continuation; and perhaps an evil wasp leader hero or something that will appear in a few more scenarios, until
he is defeated.

I would also perhaps add another bee unit, a hero with a unique ability; that one can be captured by the wasp villain
and lateron freed. Also, a berserk drone unit perhaps could be added - high hp, high melee damage, lesser berserk,
but will age VERY rapidly including dying in a few scenarios no matter if used or not used. That way the bees
know they don't have as much time and need to hurry up!
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Hiromasa wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:45 pm 起動はできるようになりましたがリプレイファイルを開くとエラー連発します

リプレイファイル添付しておきます
Hiromasaさん、こんにちは。
リプレイファイルありがとうございます。リプレイは過去のバージョンを記録しているため、アップデートしても解決できないのだと思われます。なので、リプレイに関してはエラーを回避する方法が分かりません。申し訳ありませんm(__)m
参考にさせていただきます。書き込みありがとうございます。
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

shevegen wrote: February 27th, 2023, 11:06 pm > The story, especially the second half of the story, is still incomplete. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know.

I think the start was very nice. In the later stages you probably ran a bit out of ideas and integrated different units.

This is a nice idea, including finding followers. However had, I would also suggest adapting the units a little bit.

Perhaps rather than a fire dragon, a phoenix-like bird or something. That may not be super-fitting either but it could
be better than a dragon.

I would also perhaps add a few late-stage scenarios, ants and wasps perhaps. Or something like that. Something with
a continuation; and perhaps an evil wasp leader hero or something that will appear in a few more scenarios, until
he is defeated.

I would also perhaps add another bee unit, a hero with a unique ability; that one can be captured by the wasp villain
and lateron freed. Also, a berserk drone unit perhaps could be added - high hp, high melee damage, lesser berserk,
but will age VERY rapidly including dying in a few scenarios no matter if used or not used. That way the bees
Hello, shevegen.
Thank you for writing!
Some very good ideas there. I will refer to them and continue to work on them. I am not sure if it will meet your expectations, but please be patient.
Thanks again!
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

shevegen wrote: February 27th, 2023, 11:03 pm New scenarios could be within a bee-hive; or an ant-hive. Invading ant hives.
Also, a new ability: swarm death. If they surround an enemy, they do additional damage. Or call the
ability cooperation. Some japanese bees can do this, e. g. against other bees or wasps/hornets I
think.
The 'cooperation' ability is available in the "Queen: Real Edition" difficulty. In reality what you're describing is the 'balling' defense technique, although it doesn't actually inspire the bees to do more damage. (I think I described it properly in the ability description, so I wont reiterate it here.)

About bees invading ant colonies, I would say definitely not. I lost at least four hives last year to ant invasions, not the other way around. (But that doesn't mean the colonies died, they just "vacated" or in layman's terms, left the boxes I had them in.)
shevegen wrote: February 27th, 2023, 11:06 pm > The story, especially the second half of the story, is still incomplete. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know.

be better than a dragon.

he is defeated.

Perhaps rather than a fire dragon Aww, I liked the dragon.... :D

A berserk drone? :o If it is done, he would need some kind of magic weapon or something; bees really aren't very strong in melee.

The story, especially the second half of the story, is still incomplete.
Personally, even as a beekeeper, I have no ideas for KameRamen... :whistle: But then again I also thought the story progression was okay, although it could have a little more foreshadowing.
As for a hornet villain, the villain who disappears whenever defeated or leaves whenever the battle become unfavorable, is the most annoying kind of villain. So I would suggest that his name become more frequent as the heros get closer to him (geographically, for his ultimate defeat). Which may or may not last for 2/3 scenarios.
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings