What are the best RPG Era scenarios?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

What are the best RPG Era scenarios?

Post by Atreides »

I know about Bob's great RPG's but they are designed for level 2 characters (same as Bob's RPG Era which uses level 2's) not level 1's.

I have not really seen any RPG's which are designed for level 1 characters but there are a few custom eras out there which have RPG eras.

So I was wondering which scenarios they are. I suspect they're older ones from 1.10 and earlier.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: What are the best RPG Era scenarios?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Atreides wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:44 pm I know about Bob's great RPG's but they are designed for level 2 characters (same as Bob's RPG Era which uses level 2's) not level 1's.

I have not really seen any RPG's which are designed for level 1 characters but there are a few custom eras out there which have RPG eras.

So I was wondering which scenarios they are. I suspect they're older ones from 1.10 and earlier.
I have been re-working some abandoned RPG scenarios for use in my era's RPG variant but it's not really ready yet due to the amount of deprecated code being patched per file and the playtesting.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 1st, 2023, 5:30 am
Atreides wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:44 pm I know about Bob's great RPG's but they are designed for level 2 characters (same as Bob's RPG Era which uses level 2's) not level 1's.

I have been re-working some abandoned RPG scenarios for use in my era's RPG variant but it's not really ready yet due to the amount of deprecated code being patched per file and the playtesting.
Which ones? I've actually tried to find some old ones today and have gotten Unwanted Guests, Dark Castle and Golbeeze's RPG to work in 1.12. Unwanted is funny... if you use a different era than the included it actually stops the game [kill] all [/kill] lol. Golbeeze works w/o their era although they ask that it be used so who knows? Shops don't fully work, not sure I care to fix 'em. Dark is the only one that has no built in era, albeit it has two scenarios, one with fixed leaders the other free and that one does work with RPG eras.

It is peculiar that there are a fair number of RPG eras around but barely any RPG scenarios. I think I found maybe 2-3 more in the truly ancient 1.2/4/6 addons. My guess is that making an RPG era is a matter of a few seconds in editing a era file... but making a RPG scenario is a big job. : ) Hmm maybe that's what I should take up... I was a D&D Dungeon Master in 1980, still got my Dungeon on graph paper...

I did notice that WoL has RPG era when I was looking for one. : ) And I just added a RPG era to Lonely Era and expanded the Beyond Southern Hells one and was, just like you, looking for something to try them on!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Which ones? I've actually tried to find some old ones today and have gotten Unwanted Guests, Dark Castle and Golbeeze's RPG to work in 1.12. Unwanted is funny... if you use a different era than the included it actually stops the game [kill] all [/kill] lol. Golbeeze works w/o their era although they ask that it be used so who knows? Shops don't fully work, not sure I care to fix 'em. Dark is the only one that has no built in era, albeit it has two scenarios, one with fixed leaders the other free and that one does work with RPG eras.
I started re-working the Kraken to fit my era more and make it doable on level 1 starting leaders, but it needs a lot of work. I did fix several bugs of it, as the notorious infinite turn loop if all player leaders died.
I did try Unwanted Guests Series and it felt sort of incomplete, I did edit the code and remove the kill code (which I think was a bit too much).

Dark Castle and Golbeeze's RPG? Might those a whirl. Do you have working copies for 1.16?
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:32 am
I started re-working the Kraken to fit my era more and make it doable on level 1 starting leaders, but it needs a lot of work. I did fix several bugs of it, as the notorious infinite turn loop if all player leaders died.
I did try Unwanted Guests Series and it felt sort of incomplete, I did edit the code and remove the kill code (which I think was a bit too much).

Dark Castle and Golbeeze's RPG? Might those a whirl. Do you have working copies for 1.16?
Oh nice, gonna port Kraken to 1.16?

DC and Gol are 1.12 for now, it was quick to make 'em work there, not sure about 1.16. DC I might update to 16 but it depends on how my test game goes... a few turns in it seems a little, um, lacklustre. Only hack and slash.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Oh nice, gonna port Kraken to 1.16?
Perhaps, but part of a compendium of RPG scenarios. Good to have all in once place.
One thing I'd do is check if it loads on 1.16 since I did polish the map but not sure if the terrain used was entirely 1.16 or some 1.17.x terrain got into the mix somehow.
DC and Gol are 1.12 for now, it was quick to make 'em work there, not sure about 1.16. DC I might update to 16 but it depends on how my test game goes... a few turns in it seems a little, um, lacklustre. Only hack and slash.
I haven't played those and I see them only being available as far as 1.8. So, maybe a 1.16 test copy would be nice

In retrospect, maybe coding a fresh RPG from start would be cool.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Yeah they're from 1.8 Not sure if the two are worth it. Will see!

I found that the High Seas beta (from the forums only) also works well with RPG eras.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Atreides wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:58 am Yeah they're from 1.8 Not sure if the two are worth it. Will see!

I found that the High Seas beta (from the forums only) also works well with RPG eras.
It's an RPG but would have preferred if I could faction-selection my crew instead of outlaws
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Yeah, thematically though they gotta be pirates. :) In any case it is suitable for RPG eras because you are free to chose your captain's era and recruiting (in the standard sense) is disabled (by lack of keeps, not sure).
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> Yeah, thematically though they gotta be pirates. :)

There was one scenario that focused on ships. I liked the idea.

Would be interesting to repurpose or fit it or build upon it with pirates in mind.

This also would require treasure maps and finding gold hidden on islands!

And a parrot companion.

Imagine if we could autogenerate campaigns ... like the scenario editor to
also be used as an autogenerator for campaigns to some extent.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Imagine if we could autogenerate campaigns ... like the scenario editor to
also be used as an autogenerator for campaigns to some extent.
The scenario editor has not seen feature updates in ages and is currently in a half-finished state as some of its components do not work as they were "advertised to function as". It's recommended to use WML for campaign creation. The DIY campaign in the addons server is a good template to build over.