Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deki

Re: Games discussion

Post by Deki »

Doninions 5
Great strategy game. Very deep and lore rich. Must have.
RoonieW

Post by RoonieW »

At the moment, besides Battle for Wesnoth I only have Farmville 2 in my pc because the pc is truly already giving up :( ... and farville I haven;t even opened it in like half a year because every time I did it it crashed on me... oh but I hope to have a new pc soon and Ill come back to this thread to get me some good games haha!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Anyone picked up Fire Emblem Engage yet? I played Three Houses, but have been kinda considering skipping Engage, just because I find the character designs kind of offputting, but I'd still be interested to hear from experiences of those that did decide to get it.
ChrundleTheGreat

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

im really enjoying the game stone story rpg rigth now, its a simple rpg where the animation is made with ascii characters, its not action based and at the beginig there is not really a lot of strategy, but im liking it a lot so far, i think its well made, and i thougth i'd share it in here, i think its worth checking out. :)
Jefferyk2

Post by Jefferyk2 »

Freeware:

OpenRA (Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Dune 2000 remakes)
Dwarf Fortress - A bit complex but super rewarding!
Commercial:

RimWorld - Colony simulation, addictive and full of surprises.
Stardew Valley - Farm life, fishing, and more. A charming time sink!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Jefferyk2 wrote: January 10th, 2024, 4:15 am Freeware:

OpenRA (Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Dune 2000 remakes)
Dwarf Fortress - A bit complex but super rewarding!
Doesn't Dwarf Fortress cost money now that it's finally hit 1.0 and gotten a Steam Release?
Chresh94

Post by Chresh94 »

Does anyone know of any strategy games with good and smart AI?

I play strategy games almost always in singleplayer mode, and one of the flaws that I notice in many of these games is that the AI is usually poorly programmed, that is, they either have no strategy or any goals in mind, their builds are sub-optimal at best, they don't know how to implement basic combat tactics (e.g. flanking), and so on...

Do you guys have any recommendations for games that contain good, competent, and fair AI? And by that I mean, AI that does not cheat and gets unfair bonuses compared to the player, like knowing your location through fog-of-war all the time, getting a higher multiplier / more resources than the player, having more units than it could possibly produce, etc.

Rather, what I'm looking for is an AI that starts with the same amount of resources as you do, abilities, technology, etc. as the player would in their position (more or less if their starting faction/race gives them such bonuses/penalties), have strategic goals in mind (e.g. like winning via Science/Culture/Economy route, or conquering everything), have buildings and build orders that support their goals, implement smart tactics in combat and exploration, and generally play to the best of their abilities just as a player would in their situation.

Now, I know that this might be asking for a lot, especially since I know that AI development isn't a strong priority for developers, but I'm hoping someone here might know of such games that implement these things, the more the better.

As for the games themselves, I'm not too picky. So, the game's release date doesn't matter, the setting (whether it's Sci-Fi, Medieval, Modern) doesn't matter as well, the graphics don't matter, and the genre (RTS, TBS, 4X, etc.) doesn't matter as well.

Do any games like this come to mind?

Additionally, any AI mods that improve the game's AI are welcome as well.
egallager

Post by egallager »

So I'm trying the Unicorn Overlord demo currently and it's pretty good; the animation in particular is very smooth and worth studying. Haven't gotten far enough in it yet to judge how good the AI is yet, though.