[UMC] What AMLAs could give you

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Spirit_of_Currents

[UMC] What AMLAs could give you

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Every unit type has one or more AMLA trees. There are two kinds of AMLAs: items and skills.

Your unit can equip any item he or she has unlocked but normally only one per body part. He or she can have several weapons equipped but remember: the more weapons he or she is equipping, the weaker they are on average. You can't switch items from one unit to another. One item type is a mount.

Some skills may be unusable, depending on equipment. A skill could give backstab special to daggers but not to swords. Another skill could increase the unit's defence if he or she hasn't too heavy items currently equipped.

You can temporarily disable some abilities if you like. You can disable illuminates if you have chaotic units. You can disable ambush if you want enemies move towards your unit. You can disable an AMLA that increases damage if you want to injure an enemy but not kill it with the unit.

A unit can unequip/equip items and disable/enable skills only if he or she spends one turn (maybe two) without moving or attacking.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: [UMC] What AMLAs could give you

Post by beetlenaut »

Modern AMLA code allows all sorts of things including mutually exclusive items, trees, and any [effect], so this can be done. There are inventory and skill systems in several UMCs, and changing them so that they are only selectable in an AMLA should be pretty easy. And, since abilities only work under the proper circumstances anyway, making them possible to disable only if the unit hasn't moved would be easy enough.

The hardest part of this would probably be to choose all the possible skills and item trees for every unit available in the add-on.

Nobody is likely to do this for you though, so it will be up to you to find/write the code and add it to the campaign or era you want to. You could make it a mod as well.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

beetlenaut wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:45 am Modern AMLA code allows all sorts of things including mutually exclusive items, trees, and any [effect], so this can be done. There are inventory and skill systems in several UMCs,
Hi.
Would you have an example of a simple inventory system ?
The one I've seen is clunky, I just want something that avoid a unit wearing three "gloves" or two "caps", without complexifying the user interface or the gameplay.
My goal (if I ever go back to working of my very unfinished work) is to make a lot of different units with specific abilities/traits but no "super-units", so the army roster is actually diverse and not the systematic recall of tuned-up loyals.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

LOTI (Legend of the Invincibles) has an equipping system that not only avoids duplicates, but also you can only equip certain items with a unit that can actually use that item/weapon. It is based on LUA mainly and it is a very complex code.
Advanced Wesnoth Wars (fork) has a system of custom AMLAs based also on unit type and stats. (AMLA Bonus Manual). This is WML only and it can serve as a base to design your own AMLA without having to create them individually for each type of unit, but based on their characteristics (For example, does it use a sword or a mace? Is it a fast or slow unit? Is mechanic, living, or undead unit? etc)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LienRag wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:04 pm Would you have an example of a simple inventory system ? The one I've seen is clunky
Wesnoth was meant to be a tactical simulation board game that played something like more-complex chess. Nobody imagined that it would need an inventory management system. Later, some clever programmers managed to add one, but because Wesnoth was not made for it, all the systems are a little clunky and/or very complicated.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide