Elimination Tournaments

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EyderSnob

Elimination Tournaments

Post by EyderSnob »

Description:
You play a couple of 1vs1 Rounds trying to make it all the way to the final. Can you win it all?

This was made with playing vs the Standard 1.16 AI in mind.

I can recommend playing Ageless Era with this, for the ultimate mix of matchups.
I do also recommend you to check out Advanced Wesnoth Wars or it's fork for more game setup options.

Gameplay and Settings:
The general concept of gameplay is to be a fun semi-competitive experience of consecutive 1vs1 matches while managing your roster vs all different kind of opponents. When you win your Match and advance a Round, your leader and all living units that remained are fully healed and teleported to the next Arena.
(If you finish your match faster than the rest of the opponents, you'll automatically skip through some turns until your next opponent is decided.)

Special Rules:
  • The Leaders can't move.
  • Leaders automatically level up to Rank 3 when reaching Round 2 of the Tournament. (if possible)
  • Killing a unit gives the player who killed it 25% gold of the slain units cost.
Default Options:
  • Number of turns: Unlimited
  • Experience Gain: 30%
  • Village Gold: 0
  • Village Support: 5
  • Random Start Time: Yes
  • Starting Gold: 75
  • Income: +1 (3 overall including 2 base income)
Difficulty:
There is a difficulty selection screen before the tournament starts, with each of the 9 options giving the AI increasingly more gold per round. The lowest difficulty is the only one where the AI gets less gold than the Player. On the second lowest difficulty option the gold is evenly distributed. Everything above gives the AI an increasingly advantage.
(In the top left corner of each map there is yellow text, showing you the chosen difficulty your playing on.)

Changing the Settings
You can change up all Settings to your liking. For the Special rules one would have to change the proper "mapname.cfg".

Feedback and Contact
I am happy for any feedback or storys from your experience playing these Tournament style maps. I will check the forum thread frequently and you can find me over on the wesnoth discord.
current Version on 1.16 addon server: 0.0.9

Tournament Overviews and Arena Screenshots:
Joust Kingdom
Background: As a loud quake went around the globe, all races and their respective leaders began to wonder about the cause of such an powerfull event. They soon made out an island far off, Joust Kingdom, from where the vibrations kept on coming.This island was once used to hold Tournaments for the amusement of the folk. It seemed long forgotten, but now they all independently decided to go with the goal to be the first race discovering what has happend to this place of glory ...

Round 1:

Round 2:

Final:
Sanctus Illedon
Background: Rumors started spreading fast about the earth tearing apart from where the earthquake had happend. As those words reached the holy halls of Sanctus Illedon, races in the vicinity got troubled and agigated, resulting in them wanting to go to the monastery. Some tried to seek shelter others saw an opportunity to gain a valuable fortification and increase their influence in what seemed to be a crumbling world ...

Round 1:

Round 2:

Final:
Mining Mountains
Background: In the early days of exploration settlers found a seemingly infinite deep fissure while traveling along a mountain range. As there used to be some shiny crystals surrounding the phenomenon, people quickly build up a mine system further up into the mountains. Altough the people never found more crystals, the area turned into a successfull ore industry nicknamed Mining Mountains. With the old fissure closely resembling the recent rifts around the world the area aroused public interest once again ...

Round 1:

Round 2:

Final:
Reedwood Swamps
Background: As wizardy and magic had been banned south from the great swamps of Reedwood, practitioners of sorcery had to move through the swamps to settle down on the northern side. Over the years these settlements became freqeunded by outlaws expelling the magicians even further. The south side managed to build a decent agriculture to produce valuable traderoutes with other citys. Nowadays the expelled people of the north start to push back across the swamps, to grab their part of the wealth...

Round 1:

Round 2:
Image[/url]

Final:
Image[/url]
Credits and alot of Thanks to:

Credits and alot of Thanks to:
lbrande - for creating The Duelist's Tournament map for 1.12. I took alot of parts from his code back from 2015
mattsc - for always giving great advice and pushing me in the right directions
octalot - for helping with setting up the gold
Pentarctagon - for helping with unit recalls
knyght - for helping with gold & leader leveling
Last edited by EyderSnob on January 8th, 2023, 10:27 am, edited 11 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Elimination Tournaments

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Interesting...a Competitive MP scenario.
My feedback:
  • The XP modifier of 30% might be a little too much. In Round 2, it's possible to instantly promote a level 1 to level 3 if a level 3 enemy unit is killed.
  • Denying the leader units from moving at all disallows them from gaining XP or participating. Both good counters against each other however, you can assassinate weak leaders in one turn in later rounds. Assassinated the round 3 leader in one turn with melee class units.
  • Final round seemed to favor factions with high forest affinity.
  • add-on image has no Team color added to it.
  • Auto-recalling everyone might be an overkill. Started round 3 with an army of Level 3 which ate away the enemy team in 3 turns
Suggestions:
  • 60% XP modifier
  • Auto recall only the first 4 units
  • Allow leaders to be combatants.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
EyderSnob

Post by EyderSnob »

Hey there knyght,

I realy apreciate your post and I'm glad you played it at all =)
[*] The XP modifier of 30% might be a little too much. In Round 2, it's possible to instantly promote a level 1 to level 3 if a level 3 enemy unit is killed.
That is a little bit of intented. I think it adds to the back and forth on such a small map. Some tempo swings are ok I guess, but if there are certain situaitions where this gets out of hand i'll change it. Definetly gonna keep an eye on it. I should note that i am playing with a mod that allows lvl's above 3.
[*] Denying the leader units from moving at all disallows them from gaining XP or participating. Both good counters against each other however, you can assassinate weak leaders in one turn in later rounds. Assassinated the round 3 leader in one turn with melee class units.
This was a problem pretty much from the beginning of taking away the movement =( I experimentend with giving just 1 or 2 movement points, but it plays out different and especially against the AI it sometimes leads to early leader snipes with a full squad right behind them.
As i hower think that the underleveled leaders in the endgame are a problem, I updated the addon to 0.0.4 adding automatic level ups of the leaders to rank 3 once they reach the 2nd tournament round.
Should be atleast a step in the right direction :D
[*] Final round seemed to favor factions with high forest affinity.
This is probably true, but having a map pack in mind it's hard to not make every map look the same. I tried to use as many terrains as possible. I am sure there will be some favorible arenas for every race in there. But i'll be on the look out for winrate tendencies.
[*] add-on image has no Team color added to it.
Sadly i don't know what you mean by that. I tried looking for team color related stuff on the wiki but couldn't find anything. I am happy to fix it if i know what :D
Auto-recalling everyone might be an overkill. Started round 3 with an army of Level 3 which ate away the enemy team in 3 turns
In the first versions I had the units be put to the recall list with a recall cost of 0 or 1, but I had an interesting talk with mattsc about how the AI handles recruiting. It turned out that the AI, even though the units on the recall list were easily affordable, skips through those units and sits on it's gold to recruit a certain unit type the next round. This leading to the most broken state of my scenario as the AI just got swarmed on such a small map. Thats why currently all the units are teleported.

Thanks alot for playing and telling me your feedback!
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

This looks fun, maybe i'll try it once i have some time.
This is probably true, but having a map pack in mind it's hard to not make every map look the same. I tried to use as many terrains as possible. I am sure there will be some favorible arenas for every race in there. But i'll be on the look out for winrate tendencies.
You can totally work around this, just make arenas with balanced number of the most common terrains, just different themes. There are plenty of types of flat terrains, forests, hills and even mountains. You only need to figure out 3 different themes, but there are honestly so many possibilities, you could make one up for each of the seven duels. Even if technically the maps are exact copies of each other, you can make them all look completely different. Can have basic grassland themes, autumn, savanna, tropical, desolate, cave-like, even urban etc. If you don't want them to be exact copies, then there are even more opportunities, like moderate deserts or arctic themes.
I see right now you follow the philosophy of a little of everything, i believe themes would look much better.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

adding automatic level ups of the leaders to rank 3 once they reach the 2nd tournament round.
Doesn't help if the leader unit is level 2 and AMLA. See my replay.
Round 3 started funny when I immediately got attacked by 2 level 3 Cavaliers :v
Attachments
8p Joust Kingdom Tournament replay 20211106-184357.gz
(60.08 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
MeisterPeitsche

Post by MeisterPeitsche »

Hey there!
I really like the idea of this and had lots of fun in 4 tournaments against the AI so far. Casual player here so I actually find it quite challenging against the AI especially with bonus gold per round.
I´m also playing Ageless Era and use Advance Wesnoth Wars (viewtopic.php?t=49454 - actually still works on 1.16 for me too) and therefore the fast XP gain wasnt a problem and played quite well with units in final battle being lvl 5 sometimes.

I´m thinking about disabling fog of war if that is possible without screwing anything else up because it might add some more strategy for the whole map.

I´ll keep looking for updates, but this already is fun to play!
Peace
EyderSnob

Post by EyderSnob »

Hey folks,

Updated to version 0.0.8:
  • Added two new tournament scenarios called Sanctus Illedon and Mining Mountains
  • Added difficulty selection before starting the game, with each option increasing the gold per round for the AI players.
  • Removed the 20 gold bonus upon advancing a tournament round, because with the introduction of the new difficulty system the arena got crowded pretty fast on higher difficulties
  • Changed the starting options for quicker singleplayer game setup
Pls check the first post again, for updated pictures of the new maps =)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi there, just noticed this after the update and since I have the old version still in 1.12 (although I've never won that one, just too random) I decided to try this.

It's totally reworked and IMHO greatly improved. It does lose that tiny map insanity aspect the old one had but that is, as I alluded to, probably a good thing. : )

I managed to win on my first try at the easiest level in spite of a rather nasty bug I found. That bug made it much harder than intended.

The bug seems to be related to the shuffle option (always on for me) because I was shuffled to side 5 and the AI was now side 1 which got the player income bonus instead of me! I attach a replay which shows that. Side 1 had 5 income while the other 7 (including me the player at side 5) had 1 income.

So my guess is that when the sides get shuffled the income does not. I've seen that before and I think (man I'm rusty already!) it might be fixed by disallowing shuffle in the side tags. Yeah, I remember now, that's all that needs to be done. Simple fix. Tis but a common oversight that I see quite often. Guess not everyone's a fan of shuffle... : )
Attachments
8p Joust Kingdom Tournament Aufzeichnung abspielen 20221210-154506.gz
Replay using Lonely Era plus a couple of mods, should be OK for replay though.
(51.97 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 6th, 2021, 12:48 pm
adding automatic level ups of the leaders to rank 3 once they reach the 2nd tournament round.
I also ran into that effect with the L2 leader and AMLA instead of L3. I suppose the fix would be to add xp at the start of next round instead of a level. No wait, how many xp though. : ) Anyways, it is something that could be improved, it's not quite fatal and of course there are L2 leaders in some eras that don't have L3 or AMLA so maybe it's all moot anyways, can't account for every oddball era out there... (although the odd ones are the most fun!)

P.S. The leader being immobile is kinda iffy. Doesn't it give poisoners too much strength? Sneak one in at the enemy ldr and wait til he's down to 1 hp then send in a skirmisher. Yes, yes I know, if you can't defend your leader... but this does mean one would need to constantly make sure that one's leader is unreachable every single turn.
EyderSnob

Post by EyderSnob »

Atreides wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:07 pm
I also ran into that effect with the L2 leader and AMLA instead of L3. I suppose the fix would be to add xp at the start of next round instead of a level. No wait, how many xp though. : ) Anyways, it is something that could be improved, it's not quite fatal and of course there are L2 leaders in some eras that don't have L3 or AMLA so maybe it's all moot anyways, can't account for every oddball era out there... (although the odd ones are the most fun!)

P.S. The leader being immobile is kinda iffy. Doesn't it give poisoners too much strength? Sneak one in at the enemy ldr and wait til he's down to 1 hp then send in a skirmisher. Yes, yes I know, if you can't defend your leader... but this does mean one would need to constantly make sure that one's leader is unreachable every single turn.
I am sure i am overlooking something here, but so far i don't quite get what you guys mean with "level 2 and AMLA". From what i can tell, leader units who don't have a lvl3, get lvl3 and stay the same unit type as lvl2. Mind you i am playing with Advanced Wesnoth Wars and i think that adds some kind of lvl advancement to all units above their normal lvl cap. For further clarification help me out guys :D

I would agree with you on the iffy part. Nontheless the scenario plays way smoother without them moving. It had a way different gameflow back in it's early stages and a huge part of that was the assasination of the AI leader with most of his troops still alive, because the AI decided it was okay for the leader to step in the frontlines, just because it had no gold to spend or nothing better to do. With the still small nature of each arena, you are now forced to fight your way through the enemy lines to defeat the leader. On higher difficulties it gets harder and harder to sneak a poison unit by, and in return it makes defending your leader even more of a quest. So far I rarely see my leader poisoned and i don't have a way to deal with it.

Thanks for posting here and playing in the first place =D Have a nice time!
Last edited by EyderSnob on January 8th, 2023, 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
EyderSnob

Post by EyderSnob »

Hey there,

Updated to (0.0.9):
- Added a new tournament scenario called Reedwood Swamps
- Disabled the "Shuffle Sides" feature because of how the difficulty works right now

Atreides wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:01 pm Hi there, just noticed this after the update and since I have the old version still in 1.12 (although I've never won that one, just too random) I decided to try this.

It's totally reworked and IMHO greatly improved. It does lose that tiny map insanity aspect the old one had but that is, as I alluded to, probably a good thing. : )

I managed to win on my first try at the easiest level in spite of a rather nasty bug I found. That bug made it much harder than intended.

The bug seems to be related to the shuffle option (always on for me) because I was shuffled to side 5 and the AI was now side 1 which got the player income bonus instead of me! I attach a replay which shows that. Side 1 had 5 income while the other 7 (including me the player at side 5) had 1 income.

So my guess is that when the sides get shuffled the income does not. I've seen that before and I think (man I'm rusty already!) it might be fixed by disallowing shuffle in the side tags. Yeah, I remember now, that's all that needs to be done. Simple fix. Tis but a common oversight that I see quite often. Guess not everyone's a fan of shuffle... : )
I somehow messed up the quotes in my first response so i have to double post =(

I'm glad you like it and it's realy nice to hear that it improved!
I have to admit that i've never seen or used the shuffle sides feature. For a quick fix I disabled them in the [side] tags like you suggested. However I wanted to play as a different side myself, for the sake of going second in the first round. So i definitely have to take a look at how the extra gold tied to the difficulty settings is contributed. Would be nice to have a check if the side is controlled by AI and only then apply the gold change. Something for a future update =)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

EyderSnob wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:37 am
Atreides wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:07 pm

I am sure i am overlooking something here, but so far i don't quite get what you guys mean with "level 2 and AMLA". From what i can tell, leader units who don't have a lvl3, get lvl3 and stay the same unit type as lvl2. Mind you i am playing with Advanced Wesnoth Wars and i think that adds some kind of lvl advancement to all units above their normal lvl cap. For further clarification help me out guys :D

I would agree with you on the iffy part. Nontheless the scenario plays way smoother without them moving. It had a way different gameflow back in it's early stages and a huge part of that was the assasination of the AI leader with most of his troops still alive, because the AI decided it was okay for the leader to step in the frontlines, just because it had no gold to spend or nothing better to do. With the still small nature of each arena, you are now forced to fight your way through the enemy lines to defeat the leader. On higher difficulties it gets harder and harder to sneak a poison unit by, and in return it makes defending your leader even more of a quest. So far I rarely see my leader poisoned and i don't have a way to deal with it.

Thanks for posting here and playing in the first place =D Have a nice time!
I think what Knight was referring to was that the level 3 advancement only helps those lines that have them. I don't think AMLA is really the critical point here.

It depends on how vital level up is. If it is really needed then I guess one ought to be careful to hand pick a leader (instead of leaving it random) that has a level 3.

As for the immobile leaders I sure do know what you mean by the AI sending them out on suicide missions... I've had a few problems with a faction I maintain where all the leaders teleport and have a tendency to get themselves murdered...

One possible way to deal with wandering leaders is to limit them to the castle/keep (and maybe the adjacent villages for healing?). Just occurred to me that troll leaders have a good advantage here too.
Still, all in all I've found that once your leader is under attack it is because you have already lost the outfield battle so it's probably fine as is.

Anyways, I've had some cracking contests with this and look forward to trying map 4.