DIY Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

DIY Campaign

Post by Helmet »

This is the feedback thread for the "DIY Campaign."

The DIY Campaign allows a person to create their own 4-scenario campaign without typing any complicated code! There are only 3 steps.

Step 1: locate the "DIY Campaign" folder in the "add-ons" folder, open it and get a basic understanding of how the contents are organized.

Step 2: open the Map Editor and load the map called "01_location.map," located in the "maps" folder. Add villages, mountains, and so forth to the map, then save it to record the changes. Repeat this process with the other 3 maps. Use Save Map to record the changes, not Save Scenario - that's something different.

Step 3: open the scenario file called "01_scenario.cfg" using a basic Text Editor. Find the lines where "Ogre" and other unit types are written, then replace those units with units of your choosing. Do this for sides 1 and 2. You must use a unit's official name, including capitalization. For example, don't type "orc," type "Orcish Grunt." Do this with all 4 scenario files, and save each file to record the changes. That's it!

If you want to know more about any of the code used to make this campaign work, check out wiki.wesnoth.org/BuildingScenarios.

Helmet
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: DIY Campaign

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Nice. A structured template addon for SP campaigns.

I believe this will aid new UMC players greatly to get the gist on how a campaign is made.

Can you add a section on how to load units from any external era or other addon? This question has been asked frequently.
Perhaps another section on how to add custom terrain from other UMC? another frequent request.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Hello, Helmet. I think it's very fine experiment.
I have only just downloaded and looked at cfg, but I am very impressed with the very detailed explanation of WML.
Last edited by KameRamen on March 2nd, 2024, 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Author of The Bees Journey, A Starry Forest, and Beyond the Eternal Morning
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:40 am Can you add a section on how to load units from any external era or other addon? This question has been asked frequently.
Perhaps another section on how to add custom terrain from other UMC? another frequent request.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not especially good at those things. I've been meaning to explore them in more detail, though. "The Song of Fire" has an awesome crystal castle that would look great alongside my new snowman army.

I'll keep your ideas in mind, in the event that I create a sequel in which I take everything to the next level. Thanks for the idea.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Wesnoth-KameRamen wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:12 am Hello, Helmet.

I think it's a very fine experiment!
I have only just downloaded and looked at the cfg, but I am very impressed with the very detailed explanation of WML.

It's a true "DIY" campaign!
Thanks. It was my second attempt at creating an empty campaign as a teaching tool. My first version was far too detailed. By the time I abandoned it, it was almost a completed campaign! :)
Author of:
egallager

Post by egallager »

Hi, minor request: please don't set the rank= key in the toplevel [campaign] tag, or at least, if you do, please don't set it so low; it looks really weird mixed in among all the mainline ones. Thanks.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

egallager wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 6:03 am Hi, minor request: please don't set the rank= key in the toplevel [campaign] tag, or at least, if you do, please don't set it so low; it looks really weird mixed in among all the mainline ones. Thanks.
Oops, I forgot to remove that line. I use it when debugging, to make it quicker to find my campaign in the list. Thanks for the info.
Author of: