Would you date an Orc?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: Would you date an Orc?

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:D I love pheromones and hormones.
I think the scariest hormone by far is oxytocin, it is habit forming (literally) and does more to your personality than testosterone.
Interestingly enough, hormones are pretty much interchangeable, give birth control pills intended for humans to a dog and provided the dog is of a comparable body mass to a human female, it will have the same effect, give them to a plant and it grows huge but has no flowers, this is because in flowering plants the gametophyte and sporophyte generations occour in the same organim, in ferns they are separate organism of the same species and of course humans don't have gametophyte and sporophyte generations, they have gonads.

There is still some discussion however around pheremones. Technically speaking the pheremones which attract a dog to a [censored] (not being sexist here, I mean a female dog) should be very similar to those found in humans... Certainly some have proposed that people are effected by animal pheremones, but they are generally shouted down because people don't want to admit that they are animals and because people are terrified of the prospect of not being in control. Many women love horses and dolphins, the males of those species do have very high testosterone levels, but it is extremely unlikely that it is simply a chemical attraction! For one thing, pigs have very high testosterone levels too and you don't hear of women going crazy over a boar, also, many women go crazy over dolphins but they wouldn't release their male pheromones into the water because the female dolphin wouldn't smell them through her blow-hole.
Another thing is that women who have pet reptiles sometimes find their male reptiles displaying courtship behavior towards them, but this does not happen unless the woman is menstruating, which biologically speaking would be the time when she is least likely to produce offspring. - not wanting to go into any more potentially dodgy details but you can read up on pheremones and animal/human behavior for yourself. for the purposes of this discussion I'm going to go with what I take to be the majority and say that I feel that if pheromones from other species have an effect on humans, it is probably not the same effect that they have on members of their own species. An interesting aside note, scientists believed that they had isolated the pheromones which made men more attractive to women, as it turns out these were fairly simple chemicals and scientists were able to synthesise them. In blind tests tiny amounts of these chemicals sprayed onto men amongst a group of control men who just smelled like they naturally did caused a noticible number of women to find them slightly more attractive in trials, but plans to synthesise the chemicals on a large scale did not go ahead because they were said to smell like a well-used public toilet in anything more than very tiny quantities and have the opposite effect on most women.

Based on that I think that Orc pheromones wouldn't automatically be attractive to female or male humans and that human pheromones wouldn't be automatically attractive to male or female Orcs even if the human was stinky and the Orc took a shower.

I might date an Orc depending on how she smelled and how likely she was to go Prestim on me if I dumped her.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Dugi wrote:
In Mordor, Tolkien refers to a breed or cast of Orc called a Snagga (I think) which is a small Orc with larege snuffling nostrils used for tracking.
I thought Snagga was the name of that particular orc.
It means "slave" and is used by higher-ranking orcs to deride lower-ranking orcs.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

How about world of warcraft?
Famous Garona was prominently featured in the movie.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Garona_Halforcen

Maybe if we could get green orcs?
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

If we sort magical races on the "masculinity - femininity" scale, the results seem to be:

(most masculine) orcs - dwarves - humans - elves - fairies (most feminine)

I would expect that most interracial couples would follow this direction, i.e. that combinations "male orc, female human" or "male human, female elf" would be more likely than the other way round. Simply because an average heterosexual human male would be more attracted to a feminine humanoid female, and an average heterosexual human female would be attracted to a masculine humanoid male.

But of course people are different, so "more likely" does not imply "the only possible way".
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

I'll resist the urge to link DM Of The Rings in regard to your masculinity–femininity line. :)

As for Garona, she wasn't full Orc though, was she? I never cared much for the Draenei females, but one could see how an orc–draenei hybrid would be nearer to modern, statistically normal standards of beauty.
Besides, those Orcs have a much different design style than do the Wesnoth ones. And, hey, they were made to be playable characters. Even the Undead were designed with that aestheticism to appeal.
Of course, playability had nothing to do with the WoW Naga dimorphism between the females and males. I dunno: maybe some people thought the male Naga were sexy.
But, I digress.

Even more off topic, I expect that the Irdyan Orcs will never be green.

Midnight Carnival, did you ever hear about that experiment where they told men to go all day with no perfumes or deoderants, then afterwards asked women what they thought of the smell of those mens' shirts? I remember that one woman on the television documentary, or news segment, or whatever it was, thought that the odor was very “manly”. I don't know how well controlled their “experiment” was, though I think that they told the women they were testing a new cologne.
All the same, I don't wear the stuff too much for much the same reason. Underarm hair was probably chiefly meant to cultivate the bacteria that generate those odors for us. Body odor can become quite unpleasant, of course, but that is mostly the result of poor diet or of the sweat undergoing too much fermentation i.e. not bathing often enough. Much like how a little bit of the allicin and other chemicals in garlic, or the sulfurofanes and sulfides in brocolli and eggs, are pleasant aromas — but too much are simply foul.

Returning to the topical question … Nah. Not my type.
PastaSaucey

Post by PastaSaucey »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 6th, 2015, 2:41 pm Given all these examples, orc-human, goblin-(dwarf human), goblin-elf and even, orc-elf (I am disgusted at having thought about such a thing! :augh: ) can be assumed to be possible.
Haha! I can see why. However, I am currently working on a storyline for a campaign titled Heroes are Forged (a campaign in which all races fight for a common goal, the preservation of Irdya) and, interestingly enough, I planed to have a romance between an orcish warlord named A' Kapurg 'a and an elvish sylph named Dyone. I wanted it to be kind of a Beauty-and-the-Beast-y love story (I'm a bit of a romantic :oops:).

But, I wanted to have some offended elvish conservatives assassinate him on their wedding day (mostly because I'm afraid of what a half-orc-half-elf would look like :P

Anyway, tell me what you think about this idea and if you are interested in my campaign.

Thanks!

PastaSauce 8)
Check me out here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32268&p=632794#p632794
Think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram
yannickduchscher

Post by yannickduchscher »

If the Orc is a handsome guy,l’d love to.Haha! Seriously,l don't find any race other than human ''attractive'', it just feels weird. Blood elves can be quite attractive because they share a lot of similiar traits with real humans.
sean121

Post by sean121 »

Greyr wrote: November 14th, 2015, 9:31 pm I would and I have.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can you set me up as well?
HonzaCZ

Post by HonzaCZ »

a hole is a hole
aseloa

Post by aseloa »

oh no
RoonieW

Post by RoonieW »

I honestly wouldn't... at least not anymore because god knows I have done my share time of that insanity xD
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

First off, orcs won't all have the same set of values, nor will humans. Neither species is a hive mind where all members are identical and defined only by their race. Nor can one assume that all species will regard other species as inferior, especially when dealing with fictional species. There is no evidence I am aware of that racism is hardcoded into all intelligent life forms.

If orcs base attraction heavily on smell (what is the basis for this) then that might discourage most orcs from pursuing humans. But when one considers the truly bizarre things some humans find sexy...

I imagine it would be rare, but not unheard of. Heck, there'd probably be subsets of orcs with human fetishes (and vice versa, of course).

Would I personally date an orc? It probably depends on the setting, and the orc, and what other options were available.

And there's my first post on this forum in about three years.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

PastaSaucey wrote: September 7th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 6th, 2015, 2:41 pm Given all these examples, orc-human, goblin-(dwarf human), goblin-elf and even, orc-elf (I am disgusted at having thought about such a thing! :augh: ) can be assumed to be possible.
Haha! I can see why. However, I am currently working on a storyline for a campaign titled Heroes are Forged (a campaign in which all races fight for a common goal, the preservation of Irdya) and, interestingly enough, I planed to have a romance between an orcish warlord named A' Kapurg 'a and an elvish sylph named Dyone. I wanted it to be kind of a Beauty-and-the-Beast-y love story (I'm a bit of a romantic :oops:).

But, I wanted to have some offended elvish conservatives assassinate him on their wedding day (mostly because I'm afraid of what a half-orc-half-elf would look like :P

Anyway, tell me what you think about this idea and if you are interested in my campaign.

Thanks!

PastaSauce 8)
Check me out here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32268&p=632794#p632794
I liked the idea
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

Depends on type of Orc. Orcs looks and behave quite different in various media. Tolkienian or Warhammer orc? Definitely no. Warcraft orc? Maybe.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Adeptus wrote: June 10th, 2023, 1:57 pm Depends on type of Orc. Orcs looks and behave quite different in various media. Tolkienian or Warhammer orc? Definitely no. Warcraft orc? Maybe.
Currently rereading Tolkien and am paying attention to his descriptions. He's very vague. Orcs are swart (black) and slant-eyed and some have yellow fangs or long arms, crooked legs.

As a general description swart and slant-eyed tells us nothing of their attractiveness. They happen to be attractive features but to what base creature they are applied we don't know aside from the implication they are humanoid. Tolkien does indicate that Orcs are variations of Elves twisted by the Dark Lord. That makes a good base except for the obvious twisting. The crooked legs etc. suggests that it was pretty heavy mod's.

The first pic I saw of an Orc was the pig-headed type in AD&D Monster Manual First ed.