Sort-of bug report - inadvertent offensive content

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
egallager

Re: Sort-of bug report - inadvertent offensive content

Post by egallager »

I'd just like to mention the Scunthorpe problem here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem. It's a hard problem to solve!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Actually, having given this some more thought, I now have an idea: So, there are two separate name generators in Wesnoth, right? There's the markov-chain one and the context-free-grammar (CFG) one. I'm wondering, is one of the two more likely to generate offensive names than the other? Is there maybe some sort of advanced preference to toggle between which name generators are enabled? I'm also thinking of maybe adding a third, "null" name generator, where it just makes every unit's name its unit type, so, for example, all Elvish Archers would be named "Elvish Archer".
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:01 pm Actually, having given this some more thought, I now have an idea: So, there are two separate name generators in Wesnoth, right? There's the markov-chain one and the context-free-grammar (CFG) one. I'm wondering, is one of the two more likely to generate offensive names than the other? Is there maybe some sort of advanced preference to toggle between which name generators are enabled? I'm also thinking of maybe adding a third, "null" name generator, where it just makes every unit's name its unit type, so, for example, all Elvish Archers would be named "Elvish Archer".
Follow-up on this: the name generator I described as the "null" name generator previously would probably be better called the "passthrough" name generator, since it passes through the unit type to the unit name, whereas an actual "null" name generator would be to just give the units no names at all (which is actually already happens for some units). So that would bring us up to 4 name generators, so now for the advanced preference for controlling which are enabled, previously I was thinking just checkboxes, but now I'm thinking of maybe a drag-and-drop interface that would allow the player to change the order in which they apply? That is, if the first-selected name generator fails to generate a valid name, it would then fall back to the second, and then the third, and so on...
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

How do you check that a name is valid?