New campaign: Mermen's Plight

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GregorR

Post by GregorR »

turin wrote:Hm... that music is actually fairly decent. ;) Where'd you get it? And it is GPLed? I guess it would have to be, since it's on the Campaign Server, but it's a good idea to ask anyway...
I wrote it, and if I had actually taken any time it would be better. Yes, it's GPL'd, of course.
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

I now have Orcish War working (which I renamed from Unexpected Help). You actually can kill off the orcs, but if you do, they don't help you in the next level. Ooooh, tricky ^_^
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Bloody hell >_<

0.0.17 was broken subtly in the Orcish War level (I left the test unit in, and forgot to make the human Konrad).

0.0.18 is fixed.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

So I am on the Third Scenario so far.

The thing is, with these larger maps, the AI gets very confused. The AI on Wesnoth is pretty good at tactics, but it isn't very good at strategy. That is, when the AI doesn't have a village to take, or a unit to attack, in a turn, it gets confused. This is true for both your allies and your enemies.

Another thing is, although the Mermen definetly need a campaign, there are only three basic Mermen units. And when you are dealing with maps that don't have lots of varied terrain, you don't have a lot of tactical options. You have to find some specific way to set up interesting tactical situations that the player can find solutions for. For example, in the second scenario, you pretty much just go up to shore and duke it out with the enemy spearmen, with them on land, and you on water, and because you know how to cycle units, eventually you are going to win, but its not really that interesting of a battle.

So, those are some of my first comments. Feel free to comment on my comments.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I'd suggest adding the naga, as they will ally with anyone who'll help kil the mermen, because when fighitn the meele-less ships, you know you will win.
or, you could make meele cpable ships, on the basis that th emermen are boarding and fighting with the crew.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

unsung wrote:I'd suggest adding the naga, as they will ally with anyone who'll help kil the mermen
I considered this, but my original thought was to make it purely the Humans on the offensive, and I think adding another race would degrade the plot.
unsung wrote:, because when fighitn the meele-less ships, you know you will win.
or, you could make meele cpable ships, on the basis that th emermen are boarding and fighting with the crew.
This is my thought at the moment, still mulling it in my head.
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Here's my new thought on melee at sea:
  1. The crew of ships have spears as well as bows, though they're not as effective with the spears. (Perhaps also a new ship with primarily spears)
  2. A new unit, an upgrade from either the basic mage or the Red Mage, the aquamancer (or a better title). Basically, a mage who has trained him/herself in the art of water magic. Therefore, (s)he can walk on water, and generally use water to his/her advantage. That way, there can be magic-users at sea as well.
  3. I may end up needing to ally nagas with humans, but I'd really rather not (right now there are no nagas at all)
Thoughts?
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I believe scenario 2 needs more villages.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Scenario 1 is way to easy, the boats were so dumb they went the other way, made it through with zero helath loss
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
ecla

Question

Post by ecla »

Heya GregorR, are you still around?
If so, I have a q for you regarding this campaign.
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

I downloaded from the campaign server, played the campaign, and enjoyed it. The mermen deserve a campaign of their own. I came across I few issues while playing.

1.The map is too large, never encountered the enemy ships because they started out going the wrong way. Also, it seems to be lacking terrain variation in the large ocean. Isn't this the mermens' home? Why are there so few villages? This may be tied to balance issues with the boats, but that is being improved.

2. Again, the map is too large. Nothing happens below about 37-38. The elves tend to fight on the plain, not in the forest. on easy they didn't produce many units, perhaps because of lack of villages. It might not be a bad idea to create shallows between the two human groups so that the battle feels more mixed, and less like two scenarios happening at once.

3.friends and relatives could also be a smaller map. there are large unused areas of ocean in the corners. Perhaps the humans on land could produce more varied units than spearmen and bowmen, there are plenty of options available. The sea-humans definately need a ship-type with melee, would make a huge difference in gameplay with merfolk.

Instead of mermens' plight, the campaign could be renamed something like "Plight of the Merfolk"- has a more formal ring, and takes into account the mermaids.

In later scenarios, there might not be much water, but merfolk should still be present and/or recallable, just for thematic reasons.
Overall, it was very enjoyable, and I can't wait for the next scenario.
hermestrismi

Re: New campaign: Mermen's Plight

Post by hermestrismi »

Nice idea. Unfortunately , it stopped here
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

#worth
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Mirion147 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 2:04 am#worth
Is there any maintainer for it?