elevation with bluffs, gulches and ravines

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

elevation with bluffs, gulches and ravines

Post by Helmet »

Hi. I downloaded the 1.17 update and saw in the map editor a new category of tile called "elevation." In that category are bluffs, gulches and ravines.

Wow.

I'm in the planning stage of creating a new campaign for the add-on server, and I want to do something cool with those new tiles. I know I'll be using the "unwalkable ravine" a lot, in places where I probably would've used "impassable mountains."

It's great to have more options.

Please give me some clever ideas about fun ways to use elevation in scenarios. :D
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Re: elevation with bluffs, gulches and ravines

Post by Helmet »

I've been trying to create a map using the elevation tiles. Is this feature not functional yet? If so, I don't know what to do. The map gets hazy-looking, and I don't see how to return it to normal. Are you supposed to put arrows on every hex? I searched for a tutorial, but didn't find one.

Thanks.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It needs to be documented. That's not done yet because I'm not sure if it's in final form, but it's probably close now. It's a little harder to use than other terrain features.

Basically, the elevations (arrows) are flood-fill/bucket-fill, bounded by the gulch/ravine/bluff hexes. There are some more rules for how to get forests or wood/stone borders that probably need more explanation. There is a demo MP map, data/multiplayer/maps/3p_Elevation_Example.map in the editor, or "Wesnoth Test - Elevated Terrain Example Scenario" in the MP Create Game dialogue. The haziness is in the editor only, to help see where the flood-fill is going.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Thank you, that was a huge help. I can make a simple map now with elevations.
doofus-01 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:49 am There are some more rules for how to get forests or wood/stone borders that probably need more explanation.
I would appreciate a little more explanation. I haven't been able to guess how to change a section of the bluff to carved stone, like in the example map.

Would you also explain how to put different types of forests on a bluff? Whenever I try, the forest makes a "hole" in the bluff and the forest appears at the lower elevation.

This feature is awesome. :)

Are changes in elevation purely decorative? Are any new rules going to be added to slow down the movement of units across elevations?

Thanks.
Author of: