Frogfolk Delivery Service (2 scenario, BfW 1.16)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

Frogfolk Delivery Service (2 scenario, BfW 1.16)

Post by Helmet »

This is the feedback thread for my campaign "Frogfolk Delivery Service."

"Frogfolk Delivery Service" is a two-scenario intermediate-level campaign, made for Battle for Wesnoth 1.16.6 (Mac OS).

My campaign features original units based on frogs, mushrooms, and bugs. All units are thoroughly animated. The main character is Ziffid, a human-like frog. Victory is attained only when Ziffid completes his delivery mission -- not by defeating enemy leaders. The player employs an army of sentient frogs, mushrooms and bugs to keep Ziffid safe while he travels from place to place.

What difficulty mode did you choose (easy, normal, hard)?
How challenging was scenario 1, on a scale of 1-10?
How enjoyable was scenario 1, on a scale of 1-10?
How challenging was scenario 2, on a scale of 1-10?
How enjoyable was scenario 2, on a scale of 1-10?
Which of the following units did you especially enjoy: Grumber, Shroomkin, Frog Fighter, Conglodon, or Xendar?
Would you be interested in other short campaigns featuring those original units?
Anything else you'd like to say?

Thanks for playing my campaign. :D
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
winkr7

Re: Frogfolk Delivery Service (2 scenario, BfW 1.16)

Post by winkr7 »

Hello Helmet;

Nice map and character graphics.I started playing on Easy mode and the game instructions are clear.
I got all these warnings in the log file (see below). I will be glad to try again but the warnings
made me suspect a new version was on the way.
yours
winkr7

20221024 12:28:03 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/translations', skipping textdomain
Checking lua scripts... ok
20221024 12:28:56 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro OWN_VILLAGE without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/utils/macros.cfg:121
included from ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/_main.cfg:134
previously defined at core/macros/conditional-utils.cfg:7
included from core/_main.cfg:19
included from _main.cfg:18
20221024 12:28:56 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro GENERIC_UNIT without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/utils/macros.cfg:141
included from ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/_main.cfg:134
previously defined at core/macros/unit-utils.cfg:34
20221024 12:28:56 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro TOD_COLOR_SHIFT without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/macros/schedule.cfg:4
included from ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/_main.cfg:136
previously defined at core/macros/schedules.cfg:4
20221024 12:28:56 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro SIDE_2_UNIT without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/scenarios/02_Special_Delivery.cfg:115
included from ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/_main.cfg:146
previously defined at ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/scenarios/01_Gather_Mushrooms.cfg:75
included from ~add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/_main.cfg:146
20221024 12:28:57 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'controller' discarded.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

"Frogfolk Delivery Service" has been updated. Thanks for the information about your error log. Also, thanks for copying the error message, because I'm not seeing it for some reason.

The errors involved code I had copied and pasted from my other campaign, but didn't actually use for anything. I assumed unused blocks of code wouldn't cause problems, so I left it in, but the code was from an earlier version of Wesnoth and I guess the code doesn't work any more. Anyhow, that unused code is gone now.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Helmet;

playing on easy, very good animations.
You still have a few warnings (see below).
yours
winkr7

20221024 19:28:49 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Frogfolk_Delivery_Service/translations', skipping textdomain
20221024 19:29:01 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'controller' discarded.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Hmm. I'm confused about how to fix that.
Are you playing with version 1.17? Maybe the new version requires something that wasn't needed in 1.16, maybe something about translations.
Thanks for the information. I'll research it.
Author of:
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Helmet;

I am playing with 1.16.6.

yours
winkr7
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Final 2 errors removed. I never saw the error message on my computer; I think my computer just ignored them, since they didn't affect gameplay. But the errors should be gone now.
Author of:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Helmet wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:03 am Final 2 errors removed. I never saw the error message on my computer; I think my computer just ignored them, since they didn't affect gameplay. But the errors should be gone now.
I think only the Windows versions record the errors by default. I use Linux and had to edit my files to force it to save the errors to a file. Perhaps you have to do something like that for Mac also.

BTW I have started the campaign, I really like it so far (a few turns only, ran out of time, will get back ASAP) I'm impressed by the graphics and animations.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

FWIW, with 1.17 there's the --log-to-file option which enables logging to file for macOS and Linux. For Steam+Linux it's also the default.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Atreides wrote: October 26th, 2022, 4:57 pm I think only the Windows versions record the errors by default...
Oh, thanks for the information. I know somebody with a Windows computer, so next time that I make a campaign, I'll be sure to ask them to check the error log for me, to see if anything is amiss.
Atreides wrote: October 26th, 2022, 4:57 pm ...I'm impressed by the graphics and animations.
Thank you!
Pentarctagon wrote: October 26th, 2022, 5:13 pm FWIW, with 1.17 there's the --log-to-file option which enables logging to file for macOS and Linux. For Steam+Linux it's also the default.
Excellent news! :D
Author of:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I just finished the first scenario (on easy and it was which is great!) and I must say this is one of the best campaigns I've ever tried.

As regards the animations, wow, I saw that the froggies lift their military forks above their heads when scoring a kill. WICKED!

I also just love the wimsy of all the bugs and shrooms and frogs, it's incredibly refreshing since most Wesnoth is more "horror" monster oriented. Nothing against that but this is charming.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.
Haha, yeh, I like the victory-animation, too. I made the kind of animations that I would like to see.
Author of:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The second scenario ends when you defeat all enemy leaders. (Scenario file line 723)
Attachments
FDS-Scenario Frogfolk Delivery Service replay 20221104-185414.gz
(27.63 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
FDS-Scenario Special Delivery Turn 26.gz
(56.03 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
FDS-Scenario Special Delivery replay 20221104-191901.gz
(42.46 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Konrad2 wrote: November 4th, 2022, 6:22 pm The second scenario ends when you defeat all enemy leaders. (Scenario file line 723)
Thanks for the note. The code has been updated.

Watching your replays was fun. Scenario 2 reminded me somewhat of Lord of the Rings. On one area of the map is a huge army of good guys fighting a huge army of bad guys, and on another part of the map is the solitary hero, hoping he won't be noticed while making his delivery. :D

Boy, what a dramatic ending to scenario 2 -- winning on the final turn while wounded and poisoned. You had me worried.

Congratulations on beating it on Hard mode.

Trivia: the frog fighters had no slingshots in this campaign; that's how I originally designed the frog fighters. I didn't give them slingshots until the subsequent scenario Big Battle 1 (and also reduced tongue accuracy and damage).

Thanks for the feedback.
Author of:
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

What difficulty mode did you choose (easy, normal, hard)?
easy

How challenging was scenario 2, on a scale of 1-10?

How enjoyable was scenario 2, on a scale of 1-10?

Which of the following units did you especially enjoy: Grumber, Shroomkin, Frog Fighter, Conglodon, or Xendar?
Oooh they were all fun but the Conglodon (Pill Bug) was great. OTOH the Xendar were great fun to see and hear buzzing about, landing once in a while (just like real dragonflies). Shroomkin were cute when they tilted their mushroom caps in combat. Oh I think I mentioned in another post about the fighters victory animation.
As far as their usefulness in combat goes the villagers seemed ideal in S2 for slingshotting skeletons. The Pill bugs did well too, levelled 2 up in fact.

Would you be interested in other short campaigns featuring those original units?
Yes.

Anything else you'd like to say?
Delightful stuff. Very well made. 10/10

Not sure if a replay would be interesting but it was neat how the battle turned at mid point.
Attachments
FDS-Scenario Special Delivery Aufzeichnung 20231110-185323.gz
(67.95 KiB) Downloaded 19 times