Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

Thanks again both of you for finding new things to fix. I'm afraid it is a never-ending story as this add-on is pretty complex and has tons of option and it seems some of them have been broken by the mayor add-ons.
1. Loner Ability Bug
-- When out of mana, the Loner ability does not wear off despite text saying it does.
-- It also returns a Lua error when this occurs.

2. Wisp Upgrades
-- Able to upgrade and go into negative gold.

1. There was indeed a mistake in the definition of Loner. Maybe I tried something or whatever. The Loner ability was given to you twice. So running out of mana just removed one of them. However, as Loner already HAS a drawback I got rid of the mana costs.

2. :hmm: than everything inside this loop can do that. You probably bought something before. The reason:
This a sub store inside a store. The gold is saved in the first store, but not in the second (imho it wasn't necessary in previous versions).

Yeah, I quickly got the idea that pacifist is really only for experienced players, and that experienced players would probably get bored with it pretty quick. Initially, I thought I'd keep my hero's level as low as possible, at least at first, so my mercs would be fighting peons while they levelled. But then I read two books that had Experience and levelled up about 8 times. I would have quit by now, but I found a certain group of mercs/convinced with AMLAs, so I'm going to have to explore them for a bit.
Good luck and enjoy your run.
If you have a desk, there's an image of a desk in your house. If you don't have a dimensionrift there's just the word dimensionrift. Clearly you have a forecourt (never heard of that), but there is no image/icon for it, just the word.
Hm, forecourt is an empty space in the front of buildings. So actually the forecourt IS empty and it is always available from the start.
Thats why I've added boxes and other items AROUND it.
The force_s3tc_enable message is occasional spam from firefox. It got picked up when I cut and paste from my notes. BTW, that message was hiding my comment, "Also in Strange Furniture."
bareskin/barskin -- look in Compendium>Perks at the Bareskin entry. IMO, it shouldn't say "barskin".
k, will fix it.
In the attached, there are traps just a couple tiles to the east of your hero. Trip them. Your hero gets cloned.
These are clowning traps, left by the evil clowns in the clown war. But it is probably not intended to duplicate you. I remember that I experimented with cloning because I wanted to create a new enemy: The Shadow, which basically has the same stats and appearance like you.
You have a luck ring, which will give you enough luck to put on the floating boots, which it turns out don't protect you from the traps.
I assumed that much, as I changed the concept for the traps a while ago and set them to HARM.
Then take your hero down to River Harbour> Workshop and upgrade your cart a few times until your gold is good and negative.
Probably the same as above. Sub stores seem to have problems with saved gold variables. I probably have to nest it in every sub-store. :augh:
As far as the white mage, I guess that makes sense (I didn't look to see if it had team or anything, I just thought that since the turn was changing I should get healed. Doesn't matter much anyway, since I'm just going to
You little trickster! But I think I wanted player to do that. Another idea is to use the spell "Anger" which can turn a unit hostile. I'm not quite sure if you can get them by normal way, but it was sold by the Dwarves in an earlier version.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Sire

Post by Sire »

Still rushing through the main story. I cleared the "Final Battle" and now need to delve into the Infinity Dungeons for the Scythe.
-- I will admit I am cheating at this point to rush, using Debug to give myself gold to accelerate the process. I also managed to get all my stats up to 30 using the special potions.
-- I also learned the power of magic spells. I did the Poison map-wide spell just expecting to poison my foes, and I ended up wiping 2/3 of the enemy forces with a single cast. Magic is pretty powerful it seems... (I tended to stick with the classic Wesnoth combat, focusing on a STR/CON Bounty Hunter.)
-- As an aside, I thought I could only get Armies by using Reputation and Weapons. I should've just checked the Mercs Guild to hire some for Gold before I tanked the Kingdom's rep and population a fair amount...

Some random comments...

1. When the "Three Heroes" die, is it permanent or are they supposed to retreat?
-- While they died during the "boss battle," they retreated just fine. However, when they joined up with me properly, I guess they just perish and no longer become usable.
-- I lost the Fugitive and the Dark Adept, although I still have access to the Highwayman.
-- I have no intention of going back to save them as its just better to focus on making John a powerhouse. They also join up rather late and the player may have already equipped a small party of units with good gear and the like.

2. What exactly does the Stat AMLAs do for the Three Heroes (specifically Highwayman)?
-- I'm guessing they have synergy with equipped items if one goes that route, but it just seems better to level up the unit using "normal AMLAs" instead of the stat system.
-- It was also a bit odd to have some AMLAs say they do the same thing (Increase Melee Damage, Increased Movement), but the specifics of it are different.

3. Mercenaries and such units seem worthless when compared to a properly outfitted main hero.
-- While there is some fun in commanding an army and using mercenaries, it just seems more efficient to focus on the main hero. (I felt this way even before cheating to rush through the story, as my STR/CON John was doing pretty well for himself.)
-- Even trying to equip some party members with equipment may not be worthwhile as they can still die easily, compared to the main hero's access to potions and other consumables. The damage output is also relatively poor as well.
-- Also, using an Action to call out a single Mercenary sucks, especially when one can recruit/recall units at encampments and the like for the larger battle scenarios. It seems better to find a safe place, call out all Mercenaries, and then recall them when needed instead of placing one down whenever.
== I think I remember hearing Charm is rather powerful and Charmed units may be the exception to the rule, but that is likely due to enemy units being outright superior to standard player units.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Sire wrote: June 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm
3. Mercenaries and such units seem worthless when compared to a properly outfitted main hero.
-- While there is some fun in commanding an army and using mercenaries, it just seems more efficient to focus on the main hero. (I felt this way even before cheating to rush through the story, as my STR/CON John was doing pretty well for himself.)
-- Even trying to equip some party members with equipment may not be worthwhile as they can still die easily, compared to the main hero's access to potions and other consumables. The damage output is also relatively poor as well.
Yes, their damage can be a bit on the weak side (though I have a theory that a certain line of units who have AMLAs MIGHT be able to be equipped with more advanced weapons eventually). But they have a ton of HP, along with access to potions and other consumables (and spells cast upon them).
Sire wrote: June 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm -- Also, using an Action to call out a single Mercenary sucks, especially when one can recruit/recall units at encampments and the like for the larger battle scenarios. It seems better to find a safe place, call out all Mercenaries, and then recall them when needed instead of placing one down whenever.
Often true.
Sire wrote: June 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm == I think I remember hearing Charm is rather powerful and Charmed units may be the exception to the rule, but that is likely due to enemy units being outright superior to standard player units.
You did that by advancing John aggressively. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you certainly earn more XP for killing higher level units, and you're more likely to scavenge good/rare stuff from them.

I recently played a pacifist (RPG), letting my mercs do all the fighting for me while trying not to level up my hero. My mercs quickly became overwhelmingly powerful vs the enemy.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Still rushing through the main story. I cleared the "Final Battle" and now need to delve into the Infinity Dungeons for the Scythe.
-- I will admit I am cheating at this point to rush, using Debug to give myself gold to accelerate the process. I also managed to get all my stats up to 30 using the special potions.
-- I also learned the power of magic spells. I did the Poison map-wide spell just expecting to poison my foes, and I ended up wiping 2/3 of the enemy forces with a single cast. Magic is pretty powerful it seems... (I tended to stick with the classic Wesnoth combat, focusing on a STR/CON Bounty Hunter.)
-- As an aside, I thought I could only get Armies by using Reputation and Weapons. I should've just checked the Mercs Guild to hire some for Gold before I tanked the Kingdom's rep and population a fair amount...

I hope you enjoy this. Note that there are some infinite dungeons (volcano / dark wood), which don't have a quest, but have a secret place you can find and that offers some extra options.

Some random comments...

1. When the "Three Heroes" die, is it permanent or are they supposed to retreat?
-- While they died during the "boss battle," they retreated just fine. However, when they joined up with me properly, I guess they just perish and no longer become usable.
-- I lost the Fugitive and the Dark Adept, although I still have access to the Highwayman.
-- I have no intention of going back to save them as its just better to focus on making John a powerhouse. They also join up rather late and the player may have already equipped a small party of units with good gear and the like.
They retreat and recover. After they are defeated you can than talk to them in your house and get another charge to recall them.
2. What exactly does the Stat AMLAs do for the Three Heroes (specifically Highwayman)?
-- I'm guessing they have synergy with equipped items if one goes that route, but it just seems better to level up the unit using "normal AMLAs" instead of the stat system.
-- It was also a bit odd to have some AMLAs say they do the same thing (Increase Melee Damage, Increased Movement), but the specifics of it are different.
Every hero has a different amla. Highwayman is a brute, reckless melee fighter who is fighting alone. With spikes 3, loner and regenerates he isn't only a meat shield and a damage dealer, he can effectively debuff units next to him (also allied units) and if it wasn't worse enough - his attack slows enemies. This comes with a price - he has no ranged weapon. So obviously you need to be careful when placing him and not to place him next to your other units.

His amla only offers one special thing: his damage and hitpoint gain is higher and he can unlock splash and splash slow, which works together with his other abilities. The Amla indeed has a little problem, they also receive a "STRANGELEGACYADVANCEMENT". This was not fully intended and when making that Amla I inserted it to ALL units, without thinking. I however like the basic ideas of the SL Advancement. I will think I overwork it.
-- Also, using an Action to call out a single Mercenary sucks, especially when one can recruit/recall units at encampments and the like for the larger battle scenarios. It seems better to find a safe place, call out all Mercenaries, and then recall them when needed instead of placing one down whenever.
== I think I remember hearing Charm is rather powerful and Charmed units may be the exception to the rule, but that is likely due to enemy units being outright superior to standard player units.
Mercs are super cheap, compared with a warhorn or greater warhorn. They can make your life easier in the game early on and there are some high tier mercs, such as the paladin, necromancer or royal guard, who can really rock. In early versions Mercs were a one shot and the only way to get other units, except for summoning. But as a non-magician you should be able to call an army as well, so I did this. Summons however receive a bonus on hitpoints for level and charisma, so in the next version mercs will receive this boost, too making them a little bit more useful.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
hallo1126

Post by hallo1126 »

Are there ways to actually open the doors or go up and down the stairs in the house?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi hallo1126,

the guest rooms will unlock after the main quest has reached a final chapter and there will be guests inside. After leaving the tutorial you can go up and down the stairways and use furniture. In the tutorial this option is blocked. Maybe I will add this option, as you are not the first one asking the question ;).

Cheerio!

Heindal
ElderMartins

Post by ElderMartins »

Hello, people. Is there a Strange Legacy wiki? I am ABSOLUTELY loving it, but I'm very lost. I need serious information about this awesome add-on. How do I get the doghouse? Can I use my dog(s) in every battle I enter? Can the dog(s) follow me around the map? Is there a cheaper way to recall mercenaries other than buying the disposable Warhorn? Can I tame creatures and monsters like rats, rabbits or wolves? Thanks in advance.
white_haired_uncle

ElderMartins wrote: August 4th, 2022, 11:42 pm Hello, people. Is there a Strange Legacy wiki? I am ABSOLUTELY loving it, but I'm very lost. I need serious information about this awesome add-on. How do I get the doghouse? Can I use my dog(s) in every battle I enter? Can the dog(s) follow me around the map? Is there a cheaper way to recall mercenaries other than buying the disposable Warhorn? Can I tame creatures and monsters like rats, rabbits or wolves? Thanks in advance.
There's this, but I don't think it will address your specific questions...

http://heindal.de/strangelegacy/index.html

Personally, I think figuring things out is usually the most fun part of the campaign, but...
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi ElderMartin,
Hi white_haired_uncle,

@white_haired_uncle thanks for the link to the "wiki", which unfortunately doesn't contain some information about the newer versions of this add-on.
@ElderMartin, thanks for your nice words, I hope you keep enjoying the add-on.

The doghouse can just be obtained by getting good in crafting an craft it using the workbench. I eventually added it to some furniture stores as well.
Unfortunately dogs don't provide a companion mechanic, so the dogs are no units that follow you, but they can be recalled like mercs and you can produce them. But dogs have an own unique advancement tree, which allows them to be more supportive or more aggressive.

As white haired said, there are spells, such as "convince" or the "charm attack" which can turn a unit into an allied unit. These units can then be recalled, like any other units. One strategy (exploit) a fellow player shared several years ago go like this:
Spoiler:
cu
Heindal

Titan Hunters - Strange Legacy - 1.16.20

Post by Heindal »

TitanHunters.png

Strange Legacy 1.16.20 has been uploaded.
Code Name: Titan Hunters
Wesnoth Version: 1.16

It features 8 different titan bosses that can be discovered in the dungeons of the world. Defeating all 8 titans unlocks a special treasure, if you can find the Keeper of the Titans. The version also contains a companion feature: a dog that follows you around and fights with you, an overworked random loot, overworked ship events with the possibility of losing your ship, 20 new tiles for the random dungeons, new spells and features as well as slight wording changes, bugfixes and improvements.

Here the complete list:

bugs:

> the dungeon generation tested when a tile was placed twice after another
>> after that it rediced, but did not diced for all new terrain types
> rat is now available as mount (it existed, but could not be equipped)
> repaired missing icons
> buying totem spells did not work
> modernized and shortened trap macros repairing the ability floating on the way
>> floating - traps will no longer be triggered, so even the animations won't fire
> some biomes taken from dwarf dwarfson dwarfenminer still had the wrong id - this is fixed now
>> so the dungeons now contain more items you can interact with, such as treasurechests, altars or summoning circles
> more smaller bugs I don't remember

changes:

> totems now have halos
> summoning totems now costs 2 mana instead of 8
> the well event in dungeons is now way stronger and less mysterious
>> everything is cured, mana and stamina are fully recovered
> Bernhard and Fluffy lose the wound weapon special
> improved layout of the wisp
> summoning a merc, wont leave the merc menu
> mercs now receive a hitpoint bonus for level and charisma making them stronger
> luck is added to your result when pickpocketing npcs
> improved / fixed forecourt design
> Encounteronshipmain scenario was redundant
> moving to a webbed terrain, will leave you entangled
> slightly improve slimy eggs
> slightly improved webs - to combine with other web on adjacent tiles
> improved some existing tiles and replacements
> floating boots are now more expensive to craft

new features

Improved doghouse

> the doghouse will allow you to create new animal mercs
>> however to unlock them you need to invest into food
>> once enough food is available you can buy these mercs for gold
> the dog house will now allow you to create a companion

> companion mechanic

>> when feeding your dog in the doghouse you will be able to make him a companion
>> the dog (Doggy or Doggy van Doggenstein) will follow you, except he doesn't seem to like water and ships
>> you can order your dog to sit or follow using a new menu option
>> dogs are basically immortal - I used the code of the Fatal Wounds add-on and changed it (thanks to Octalot, Armagedonus)
>> this means, when dieing your dog will be in your recall list and can be recalled for gold
>> however, if you want him stay longer you have to bribe him with meat in your doghouse, which activates the companion mode once more
>> I haven't blocked the equip unit option for your companion, so feel free to arm him with a crossbow to your dog - he is smart dog
>> dogs are curious and roam infinite dungeons - well it is a bug, but I found it funny that you dog enters the dungeons

> Speaking of Random Dungeons

> Frost Stoats,Icemonax,Scarabs,Jinn,Horned Scarabs,Swamp Lizard, Rabbits and many more monsters now roam the infinite dungeons
> terrain: three new graveyard tiles
> improved graveyard special place
> 10+ new tiles for the random dungeon generation
> a new shrine, that summons a ghost
> added nest and graveyard as new spawnpoints as new biomes
> if you find a terrain with a closed chest - go there and it will open instantly
> you can break pots for some coins (well inspired by many hack and slays)
> seven new gigantic boss battles with giant monsters: the Titans
> you can randomly encounter them while exploring infinite dungeons or travelling by boat
> the wisps now has two new spells available at level 9
>> find secret places - which reveals the hidden place inside of an ancient dungeon
(each infinite dungeon has an own unique secret hidden place)
>> find bosses, which will reveal the boss battles with giant boss monster
> defeating all 8 titans will allow you to receive a unique reward
> each titan is different, some of them has spells, some of them cast more often or some of them are bound to terrain
>> usually the faster titans don't have spells, because they will go for you, if they have spells it is an attack and a summoning spell
>> I tried to keep the attacks fair and beatable. You can always run away, without any consequences.
>> the titans unfortunately don't have animations yet and probably you would like to have a little boom, bang, pow here, but maybe I can add something like that in the future.
Spoiler:

> shipevents
> ship event and ship encounters now use the new random event concept having way more results and random effects
>> the ship events can now end in a boss battle, which if it isn't resolved end in a defeat
> more positive events that add random things
> boarding events can now happen in the mainland as well

new spells

> frost totem is a totem that can be crafted or summoned with a spell
>> only the shamans of the orcs can teach this spell
>> the item is crafted with alchemy

> magic castle spell
>> a spell that can create a castle around you, instead of using warhorns
>> so far the only person known to cast the spell is "the keeper of titans"
>> so probably you must battle titans to get this spell

New Random Loot concept

> the old random loot did not work, but i was able to repair and improve it
> the new random loot concept uses an items array with 304 items
>> new random loot now spawn real items with a greater variety
>> all bosses in dungeons now have 100% chance to drop random loot
>> however the chances are still influenced by luck and are more random than before

New Options / Stores

> dog tamer in the city of outlaws
>> selling dogs, doghouse and snacks for doggies
> shaman trader in the orc city (Black Gates after the story line is finished)
>> sells all totem spells

Misc

> new church terrain: Carpet Johanna, Stained Glas Johanna, Altar, Shrine of Summoning
> equipping a mount now grants a new attack
>> the attack is rather simple but doesn't take away your movement for hit and run tactics
> add statues for 23Nocren, Octalot, Armagedonus
> note that I also added the new epic music, with higher quality which should improve the tracks used in this add-on
>> it isn't mandatory to install this add-on

Strange (Legacy) behavior of this add-on:

- you can give Doggy an order while on a ship, this makes the poor thingy follow you
- Doggy will spawn next to your ship in the next map
- usually when entering a ship, your dog gets the no follow order
- using no follow order will also prevent doggy to follow you in the next level
- in that case you need to recall him, either in a castle or in the dog house
- note that, when your doggy is killed through an event with kill without events, that doggy can not be revived. So far there is no solution for this yet.

- I changed the target setting of the enemy spells - I have to recheck this
-- this is indeed a problem in that cases, when allies cast spells - usually they target the enemies, but in this case they target side=1 - your side.

Future plans:

Titans:

- titan animations
- the attacks should be animated (I'm not even sure if that is possible)
- attacks of the titans should shake the screen a little, like in the earthquake macros
- the dragon needs a gigantic flame instead of a fireball
-- why?
-- the first impression is cool and you are "totally scared / excited" by the sheer size of the titans, but the combat could be a little bit cooler

Story:

- shadows as new enemies (a copy with the same abilities and maybe even spells as you)
- the scythes as new enemies, which want to claim your rightful legacy
- broken lute story (a new artifact needs to be reassembled, unfortunately one of the pieces is part of a bard contest - will you use smarts, your charisma or brute force to recover this piece?)

Misc:

- ingredients als loot?
- improved mining?
- overwork Trader, City, Mercs in random dungeons
- scarecrow caravan mission
- more complex random events everywhere
(drink water or lose stamina in the desert, sacrifice or use your mount in some options and so on)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded a small fix 1.16.20.1:

I hate to do this, but the was a small but sincere bug in the game. It caused an allied spell caster to select your side for an attack spell. I've changed it, so that always the side of the casters enemy is automatically selected. It still don't know why this causes the enemy to always attach you with spells, because it should attack a random unit (as it used to be). It's probably caused by a change of the filter in the core.

I also did some smaller text changes to the Final Battle 1. Man I really need to read the text again, but I was interested in new features that I forgot about the most important thing in an rpg. I however think that: "We have some kind of an orc situation here.", is a clever and well placed joke. At least for a German.

I've also added the new version to the starting screen. Note that I edited the last post and added some information about future plan as well as strange behavior of the game. I found a way to make the screen shake when there is a titan attack - however this needs larger maps, because it uses scrolling :P :p. So hopefully in the next version the titan attacks will shake the screen (as they SHOULD!). I will resist the temptation to name the next add-on "attack on titan" :P.

Note that the current translation file isn't up to date. It will hopefully be in the next update, but as nobody seemed to be interested in translating it, I think that would have been a waste of time. And yeah, I haven't updated the German Translation.
Nobody_III

Post by Nobody_III »

Bug report: it turns out that you can get free movement indefinitely just by buying a couple of different horses and switching between them. each time you trade one mount for another, you get an extra movement point. Tested with Courser + Destrier.
Nobody_III

Post by Nobody_III »

Another bug report: The furniture and spellcasting menus were broken, not showing half of the furniture and spells that I bought. I think this probably had something to do with me starting tutorials without completing them.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi nobody,

thank you for your reports and for playing Strange Legacy.

As for the mounts: Ah yes, I tried to keep the change of mounts most comfortable for the player. You now have to step off your horse before you can select another. It is fixed now and will be part of the next update.

I will have to recheck crafting and spell casting. As far as I've checked the tutorial should have no effect on the crafting or spell casting itself, except you don't receive some goodies and well-written explanation :P. I have to note something: you can hide some options in the crafting and spell casting menu and you can buy spells, which don't work over the spell menu, but either over summoning (right clicking on your own character) or as a ranged or melee weapons, as well as some spells which have some requirements to be shown such as selecting a tile with a specific terrain or an enemy next to you.

regards

Heindal
white_haired_uncle

Let's say you have 5 intelligence, and you're wearing a +5 intelligence ring. You can buy a spell that requires 10 intelligence, but what happens to the spell menu when you take off the ring and therefore can no longer cast the spell?

I THINK some furniture (fountain?) require (very low) minimum stats as well, so same question might apply there. [Note that Nobody_III said FURNITURE was not showing up, not CRAFTING options].